[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - What advanced tactics can I start applying in all dungeons?

What advanced tactics can I start applying in all dungeons?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: What advanced tactics can I start applying in all dungeo

Postby Fran on Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:29 am

Congratulations :)

I want to beat the hard dungeons I'm missing before tackling the vicious ones. That would be
- shifting passages
- magma mines
- halls of steel
- slime pit
Are there any stable strategies that don't heavily rely on tri-sword, dragon shield and excessive scumming?
A short summary of good class / race combos and general hints would be appreciated, i still have to do all the quests there. I had much less trouble to do the other hard dungeons except for the labyrinth. I'm still missing the fighter and the priest there for the quest, but i guess i just have to give that another go with more luck.
Fran

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:38 am

Halls of Steel is super easy as a monk. Orc Monk of Taurog. Save tiles before you fight the boss. A lot of tiles. I wrote a wiki page on it if you look it up. Same for Magama mines. Use a Paladin for Shifting Passages. Use Dracul as you can't lose piety for blood shield, dragon shield is a huge help. If you can get Whupaz before this it is doable without the shield.

Slime Pit is very challenging, but if you can get 75% resistance SMM is regen fightable at level 6. Level up as much as you can, and then fight, fireball, and out-regen Uber Goo Blob.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:08 pm

gjaustin

Postby Fran on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:56 pm

Thank you for your advice. I looked the wiki page up, didn't knew that they've been extended.

Thanks to your suggestions, by now i managed to beat shifting passages, halls of steel and the remaining labyrinth classes.
I'm still having troubles at slime pits as well as magma mines, but i guess i'll give them another try when i have more time.
How do you unlock the dragon shield?
Fran

Postby q 3 on Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:10 pm

Dragon Shield is the reward for beating Dragon Isles. Yes, it's a vicious circle.

A Paladin can crush Magma Mines with ease if you're willing to do a bit of scumming for Glowing Guardian (Scout Altar makes that fairly easy). Once you start worshiping him, you can whack a snake, heal, and repeat for nearly infinite piety (+2 every time you're poisoned), allowing you to take Enlightenment at level 1 or 2. Do that on a level 1 snake and leave all the babies it spawns, using ENDISWAL, PISORF or WEYTWUT to get them out of your way and create as many extra snakes as possible, then at level 2 take Absolution and you can end up with over 200 max HP. Keep in mind that you don't need to mess with the magic immune boss at all, save for one last fireball - as soon as you kill his counterpart, his HP drops to 1 - and the rest of the level is a cinch.

The Slime Pits also have a fairly broken deity strategy - look for Binlor (and BLUDTOPOWA is nice, too, but not necessary). His resistance-stripping boon can be repeated many times early on to leave the Tower of Goo vulnerable to physical attacks, at which point the dungeon becomes fairly trivial to beat.
q 3

Postby Gorgon on Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:43 pm

The trick for Magma Mines is to save as many tiles as you can, and only fight the first boss when you have found the other.

I beat slime pits as an orc monk with the sensation stone and a conversion seal. I tried to find Binlor for the defense-lowering boon, but I ended up worshipping the Earthmother. I found both HALPMEH and the viper ward, but I didn't need the ward. I got my resistances to 68% with patches and tower shield.
Gorgon

Postby gjaustin on Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:46 pm

gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:20 pm

Yeah, that's great for after the second form of Namtar.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Fran on Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:50 pm

Finally pulled off the slime pit using an orc monk, didn't make fun. As i have no conversion seal, i only used a sensation stone.
Found binlor, used his debuff to decrease the resistance of the goo to 25%, then i ran out of walls.
I didn't knew the boon can only be selected when there are walls to be destroyed, so i destructed half of the walls in order to reach 100 piety before starting using the boon while thinking i'm clever because i converted the walls into peity before he had the chance to destroy them...
Using the 100 piety i converted to TT for the experience boost, converted directly after to earthmother by spending some money on TT.
Came to lvl 9 while evading the enemies with corrosion, weakening and resist down.
I had HALPMEH and using alot of vine form i was able to regenfight both bosses with the standard 50% monk-resistance, even without using potions. Pretty much finished them off when the whole dungeon and subdungeon was uncovered. :)
Fran

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons