[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Naga City

Naga City

All things Desktop Dungeons

Naga City

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:24 am

Unlocking Gorgon is giving me headaches, and I've done everything else in the game.

I can't seem to complete Naga City even once. Mostly due to not getting GG and Tiki in the same run with monk, but since I'm having trouble with the monk, I guess i'd be having trouble with everything else too.

Who has comleted it and how? Once? Twice? 3 Times?

I feel like I need a step by step guide :( What gods do you need on top, what preps, what items, what to level on, what to save popcorn for, what boss to use Whoopaz on...

What do i need to save potios for? Do i need fireball untill the end? What are the major DON'Ts?

At what level to descend?

I'm sure I could figure it all out, but having it written down could save someone else the headache, and it would take a lot of scumming, and I don't have the cash or the time to grind...
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Re: Naga City

Postby Darvin on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:10 am

Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:19 am

I've beaten it with Monk, Paladin, Thief, and Priest. It's really a kind of silly dungeon, but once you get the hang of it, it doesn't seem quite so bad.

Each class has a slightly different strategy. However, they all have at least a few things in common:

1) You get all 9 altars in subdungeon. So unless you're a Paladin the altars you reveal up top aren't critical. That isn't to say that getting the right deity up top isn't a big help, but other than Mystera all of them are helpful.

2) You always want to take Humility. It's worth it even if you have to convert to GG, use it, then immediately convert back out.

3) I aim to head down somewhere during level 8. You want three level ups (don't forget Humility) to maximize your healing. If you had GG spawn up top, go down near the end of level 7 instead.

4) You have to have some way to deal with Bleaty. He has too much health and magic resist to reliably kill with Fireballs, so that either means Taurog (and lots of piety), CYDSTEPP, or enough resists to survive a physical hit for 315.

5) Other than Bleaty, the most problematic bosses are Super Meatman and Frank due to their high health. Everyone else you can easily regen fight (Timothy being a minor exception - but he's a pushover). Either use WHUPAZ on one of them or Bleaty.

6) Optimally you'll time it so that killing Timothy will level you up to clear poison. But save a health potion just in case.

7) Mana potions are best used against Bleaty and Tower of Goo. Health potions can be used whenever.

8) You want Fireball for Tower of Goo. After you kill him, Bleaty, and are out of mana potions you can convert it - but only if you have HALPMEH or CYDSTEPP.

9) The final boss is a pushover. BUT he picks up cowardly around 65% health and has poison. So be careful about where you make him run. Once he's down to his death protections it doesn't matter, but you don't want him to heal before that.
gjaustin

Postby gjaustin on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:36 am

Looks like Darvin beat me, but we mostly agree. Looks like our only main disagreements are that I frequently use WHUPAZ on Super Meatman and I always desecrate Mystera since her penalty can be ignored (as long as the bosses aren't spawned yet).

We also both seem to have forgotten to mention how absurdly good Agnostic's Collar is. It isn't necessary, but it certainly helps a lot.

As for specific class strategy:

Orc Monk - Start with Sensation Stone/Conversion Seal. Get up to 75% physical resist using some combination of Pactmaker (Body Pact), Dracul (Blood Shield), Glowing Guardian (Enlightenment), Taurog, and Tower Shield. Other key preparations include Patches, Fortitude Potion, and the +10% damage badge. A nice (but not critical) item to find in a shop is Vampiric Blade.

Halfling Paladin - Key preparations are Trisword and Scout Altar. Find Pactmaker (Body Pact) quickly and then either Dracul, Glowing Guardian, Taurog, or TT (with GG being the best). As long as you find Pactmaker early, you'll hit the 65% resist cap with no trouble. You can beat this without finding any specific shop items.

Halfling Thief - I haven't beaten this in the latest patch, but you should just be able to bring Trisword (or Dragon Shield and scum for Trisword), build some resists (or find CYDSTEPP), and work your way through.

Halfling Priest - I actually beat Naga City on my second try for this class, so I can't say how much of it was luck and how much was strategy. My recommendation would be to take Dragon Shield and Extra Shop as key preparations. Then you NEED to scum for a Trisword. I beat it with Glowing Guardian and TT top side, but I suspect that Taurog and Pactmaker (Body Pact) would be the ultimate combination.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:24 am

Agnostics collar is still around? Haven't seen a shop spawn with it in over 2 weeks, thought it had been pulled from the game.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:02 am

Ok, I got 1 win now.

Dragonshield Orc Monk with GG, TT and pactmaker on top, and agnostics collar as well. If i wanted to bother it could've been a parched run. With no HALPMEH. I did dip into Taurog for the sword and shield though, and I had a vampiric blade from up top. I used Whoopaz on the tower of goo, since he would take way too long to take out any other way, and with poison and 75% resists I could almost take 2 hits from bleaty.

Preps: Dragonshiels, Compression Scroll, Bet on Boss, Altar Scouting, Fireball Magnet, 50 G, +10% DMG badge, Quest items and STR, Schaden and Whoopaz.

But Monk is, as we all know, a cheatcode :D Gotta try something else.

Oh, and I had a strange occurence, after I finished it, the Alchemist screen came up saying "Alchemy-4-ye". Don't know if it was a misclick or what. Anyway thanks for the imput guys :)
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:07 pm

gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:33 pm

Ok, I got 2 wins now, did it with orc thief.

Again, GG, TT and Pactmaker on top, no items of note, no halpmeh, no cydstepp, no collar, no kegs, no gauntlets, no soul orb... I used pactmaker to swap from GG post enlightment to TT, ate up popcorn, got poison and dodge, and ended up at 40 piety and 9 gold -.-' Got lucky with 3 patches resist hits, fiddled with gods down bottom (killed 2 undead bosses while doing Drac, and I even used up the desecration indulgence from smashing EM). Had to smash stuff up with penalties to change to something worthwhile. As I had only fireball i smashed up Mysteria, oddly. Poison orb turned out worthwhile, and I had an inventory full of junk (hero's helm, 20% whurlgarble, mana bead, tower shield (or something) that i didn't have to convert. (And that shopping spree cost me a lot of grief, as i had to struggle to get out of Tiki, and it could've been preventedd by not buying the damn mana bead).

Oh, and I had to convert the gloves of midas before switching to TT for the popcorn -.-'

Preps: Compression, Dragonshield, Patches, Altar scouting, Fireball magnet, 50 g, Damage badge, Quest Items, STR, Schaden and Whoopaz. Used Whoopaz on bleaty (he gave me a lot of trouble as i was corroded from EM and lucked out on getting him in the 2nd batch, and managing lvl 10 by the time i fought him).

Anyways, a sloppy run, but the Thief is, as we all know, a cheatcode, not a class, so yeah...

Also, I'm starting to suspect that you could do a Fighter run if you get GG and Tiki on top, possibly even easier than a Thief run, if you know your way around a fighter and both of those two jokers. Although you would need Pactmaker or some miracle to farm up 50 GG piety post-enlightment.
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:54 pm

Nah, a Fighter run being easier than a Thief run is basically impossible on Naga City. His extra experience actually ends up as a PENALTY, since you don't want to max out your level before heading down. And that's really his only useful ability, since one layer of death isn't going to be enough to beat Bleaty.

And I have to object to your calling various classes "cheat codes". Yeah, the Monk is slightly overtuned, but that's because he was crap in the last patch and his recent buff was a bit too much.

The Thief's only problem is that he's so similar to the Priest (which class am I talking about - bonus to potions, extra stats, conditional bonus damage?) except he's just better.

The only things I'd call "cheat codes" are scumming for CYDSTEPP as a non-Dwarf Rogue, scumming for Pactmaker (as much as I love it, Body Pact needs a small nerf), and Bleaty.
gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:32 pm

My calling certain classes cheat codes is because they ARE. They are based on breaking fundamental rules of the game, and do so in a fashion that turns "vicious" into "cakewalk".

And I've argumented this a lot, doing the math on Monk proves that he is not "a little out of tune" but in fact capable of outdoing a non-resist char at lvl 10 by about 6X as much damage per full HP bar, without extra regen included in the mix. That's not "a little out of tune". That's mortifying. No, wait, he's able to outperform someone who does 2X times as much damage per hit as him by 4-6 times. Thats... Just go do the math.

Seriously, if there was no monk in this game, and I wanted to make a god-mode class to explore content it'd look something like a decked out monk. And beating anything with the fighter (or any class really) follows about the same strategy = make him as simmilar to the Monk as possible. And it works, hell, if you can do 65% on anything without the Monk's penalties, but with a relevant ability they can almost outperform the monk (not really as 2X HP regen is a god-mode cheat in and off itself).

I've just managed to mess up two perfect fighter runs by misclicking on stuff (i smashed up TT altar below instead of converting to him, and i got greedy and wanted to squeeze a late humility out of GG but forgot I had lifesteal). I would've won both of those easily, using the "slightly unbalanced" strat that makes a vanilla char like Fighter become able to take out 10 bosses (and really why not, I mean, the monk can already do it, right? -.-).

It's just that making the fighter able to do that takes a bit of effort (surprisingly little), while it takes no effort at all with a monk. The reason i figured that Fighter could do better than the thief is that in my thief run i didn't rely on any of the thief's abilities, i just upped the resists, picked up boons, and mopped the floor with too many potions and conversion junk left. If I had a death protection to burn on a suicide STR attack in the begging, and the extra XP to get a little mileage out of mopping up popcorn I would've actually been better off.

Having said that, as soon as I have the time to bother, expect a completed fighter run of Naga City, it's definitely doable, and not too hard if you know what you're doing. You just dress him up as a Monk and the enemies s**t their pants and run.

And I've never used body pact in my life. Actually, I've never used Pactmaker for anything other than Consensus. And I almost did 2 Naga City fighter runs today (damn misclicks). And I've just started abusing, erm, using GG today. And I've allready done every other quest in the game, including multiple Gaan'Telets, and the Fighter Gaan'Telet one. How did I manage this? Because I've been using cheat codes, namely - Monk, Thief and Bloodmage. And Cydstep Rogue once or twice, but I didn't like it, I only did it to see what the fuss was about.
Lujo

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons