[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

All things Desktop Dungeons

Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Postby Lujo on Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:24 am

Pardon the douchebag title, but I couldn't resist.

I started a new profile and decidet to test a hypothesis, namely, that unlocking content actualy makes the game significantly harder. I've decided unlock / spend money on only the moronicaly broken stuff, and so far it's been going swell.

So far I've unlocked the following, and for the following reasons:

God's

TT and GG. I don't plan on unlocking any other god, as it's not worth it, excet Pactmaker maybe. GG is a piety farm in any hard or vicious dungeon where there are enemies with poison and you have halpmeh, and TT is the best god in the game bar none (while not being obviously broken like GG, or Drac). His piety loss after you get poison is insignificant, you can buy his piety with money (and recycle), his potions are quite nice - he's very damn usefull, and once you have poison and dodge, easy to farm up piety with and get use of all your potions once you get enlightenment. If you've also been thorugh GG's leveling boot camp, he seals the deal. Any other combination of gods doesn't come anywhere near this. I'll get all of them in Gaan'Telet and Naga City anyway, and I guess I don't need any other combo anywhere else.

Classes

The four basic ones, obviously, and I also found tinker. This is great as the Thief is broken and takes no investment, and Tinker is even better if I ever need scumming runs. The justification for the rest of the stuff is as follows:

Rogue, Assasin - for the gorgons and bandits, to ensure cheap fodder. I probably didn't need Assasin as I get TT's poison in every run (plus the 10 gold from it), and having the poison glyph around reduces my chances of finding Halpmeh, which in retrospect is akin to shooting yourself in the foot. I don't intend to actually play the rogue (I've unlocked the Monk, if anything needs completing 3-4 times I have better options), and assasin is one of those options, especially after I unlock goblins.

Berserker - got him for free, and for the locker space. It did bring Wraiths into play, but they are not really dangerous, and are ok fodder for GG. I'm not unlocking the warlord, cydstep is / was broken, but I never liked it, and having it clog up my glyph quota is not worth it. Or having goos around unless scripted.

Monk, Paladin - For Monk, see thread title, Paladin was there as a strong class, for getting Halpmeh and making Monk stupidly broken, and I thought having Dragonkin around was ok, I needed some more magic dmg enemies (as I'm not unlocking mysteria, this makes Berserker more viable when I can use him to get money from quests)

Wizard, Sorcerer - I unlocked sorcerer for the goats (more cannon fodder), and for the 2nd generation quest. Also, if I need a decent spellcaster. I don't intend on unocking Bloodmage (i allready got enough degenerate classes), but i might eventually for the fireball magnet preps.

EDIT, New Classes:

Tinker - Because it's free, and also good for scumming quest subdungeons.

Dragonkin - Because Dragon islest turned out to be only moderately challenging for Monk, Paladin and Thief without junk in the shops, with worthwhile godas, items and glyhs available.

Items - Soul Orb, Poison Ward, Gloves of Midas, Agnostics Collar, Dragonshield. I'll get the trisword if possible (can't remember which quest does what - I've accidentaly unlocked Mana Bead thinking for some reason that the quest would give me Elven Boots -.-') I've lockered The Collar, Dragonshield and Sensation Stone, every other item in the game except the trisword and fire heart pales in comparison (and I'll probably locker the heart as it breaks spellcasters, as I most probably won't need the collar).

I won't bother looking for the which, if youre not screwed over by balanced content messing up your game (in other words 80% of the stuff that I didn't unlock and probably won't), you don't need whoopaz, or any other potion messin your shops up. I'll do everything with monk first, grab all the money along the way, then mop up everything else that needs no unlocking useless (erm, balanced) stuff with thief, paladin, assasin and sorcerer, then test the fighter in vicious dungens without the need for wasting enormous amounts of time and gold scumming for all the stuff neccessary to have a shot at being competitive.

MISC:

Alchemist: Lvl 1 - i never prepared transmutation, and if I have TT in the game I can ussually buy just about anything.

Bank, Blacksmith - Lvl 2 now, I'll try to get them as high as they go. Again, with TT I'm not really having any money problems.

Bazaar - I'll have to think about. Prepping quest items increses my chances of getting the worthless bead (curse you blue bead! :D), and reduces my chance to get excellent early game conversion fodder (blood sigil, troll heart) as well as the fine sword. On the other hand, random dwarven gauntlets and elven boots, incresed chance for gloves of midas, agnostics collar and soul orb might be necessary for some end game stuff.

EDIT:

Having useless but exensive crap instead of the gloves, blood sigil, troll heart and such makes the game much harder. If you think about it, getting all 3 is almost as much CP as a conversion scroll (215?), and all that for around 30 gold, and you can pay a part of it back with gloves, AND you can get 7-11 extra HP off of troll heart.

JUSTIFICATION:

I actually had an easiest time ever completing the Dragon Isles with the monk this way. Preps? Conversion stone and scroll, subdungeon, altar scouting, +10% badge, 35 gold. Found GG and a lvl 4 snake, had absolution at lvl 2, converted to tiki tooki before I uncovered half the map, mopped the floor with the bosses. Guys, these things ARE broken, I've unlocked only 2 gods and found one glyph, and that translated into more than 200 piety on a deity that's considered "stingy" - before I uncovered one third of the map! I whish I'd done a video of it.
Last edited by Lujo on Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Re: Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Postby Darvin on Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:47 am

Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:55 am

Yeah, I think most of us already agreed that the Monk, Thief, and GG are stronger than most everything else in the game and that a lot of the shop items you can unlock are actually pretty bad.

If you do decide to unlock Pactmaker and Warlord, I'd be curious to see how much damage you can do with the Halfling Paladin/GG/Body Pact/Trisword combo.
gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:09 am

I've done Paladin Dragon Isles now. No whoopaz. Heck, pally has 0 build in magic resists, and the thief has more stuff lying around. I'll unlock the damn Dragonkin before I unlock my third deity - about an infintes time easier than in my last "regular" profile.

I advise anyone still dobuting that this game has major balancing issues (easily solvable, just mysteriously ignored all the way up to now), to try this aproach, just to check out how bad it gets.

Oh, and I whish the devs would get the damn converson stone out of this game, or at least somewhere where you can't grab it so easily. Yeah, it's a money sink, but with conversion seal around it's busted in ungodly ways.
Lujo

Postby Lujo on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:34 am

Lujo

Postby Darvin on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:08 am

Darvin

Postby q 3 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:38 am

q 3

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:46 am

I don't think anyone was doubting that the game isn't imbalanced.

It's just that... I don't know. As for me, after the Fighter topic I pretty much lost faith that the game will ever be properly balanced.

Or maybe I just don't think the "framework" for the beta version works. It was interesting reading about it in blog posts back before the game was actually playable about how you would have to think carefully about what to locker and how upgrading the town would be fun, but as it turns out it's just a lot more annoying to unlock stuff in this version.

Oops, that was way too depressing a statement.
TigerKnee

Postby gjaustin on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:04 am

As much as I like to argue with Lujo's choice of words, I'm getting a little discouraged here too. I mean, how long has it been since Mystera was useful? 3 months? But at least she was useful at one point. We still have the initial version of Martyr Wraps after all.

That said, we've all been playing this game for months. Of course we're getting burned out on it. Think back to the first time you tried to get past the Troll in Havendale Bridge. Or the first time you managed to work out what was needed to beat Naga City.

Those were accomplishments. They may have been done by ignoring the majority of options available, but it was still FUN. Would you still recommend the game to someone who has never played before? I know I would.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:37 am

Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons