[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Postby Lujo on Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Ok, i'm probably stopping for today, the list of "achievements so far":

I've beaten everything to the east except magma mines (they don't seem to have a money reward quest). I don't want to unlock the Mage Plate and the Battlemage ring, and I haven't unlocked Bloodmage, so I didn't do his questchain either. I unlocked the dragonkin.

To the north, I've just done northern desert (and it spawned the wraith boss, but the tooltips say tower of goo). I haven't unlocked Mysteria.

To the west, I've done eastern Tundra, and unlocked GG.

To the south, I've done everything besides slime pits and Naga city, including the two purist monk quests (southern swamp, and Ick Swamp).

I've died twice so far (on accident), and I had had to retier without winning once or twice. I have 3477 gold.

It can be done even smoother than this, i'm sure.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:40 pm

Darvin

Postby Lujo on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:03 pm

That's true, so poison ward is ok, especially as it is a usefull item. Anything that cost over 15 gold and is not agnostic collar in Naga City, or a Soul Orb - i don't need it in my shops, especially with the economy the way it is. And if it doesen't convert for 60+ i also don't need it. Cheap piety fodder for GG that also gives me half the conversion needed for my stacking +dmg, an item that makes the game unable to stop me from casting halpmeh or an item that allows me to abuse having all gods in one dungeon is all that's worh having around, with the exception of the fine sword (which is.. fine I guess), the tower shield (also fine) and whatever gives me hp before I convert it.

On a side note, I just completed shifting passages by stacking +10 HP necklace, Blood Sigil and Troll Heart on my orc monk (i converted the latter 2 later for a stack od dmg and some piety). It was surprisingly effective.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:14 pm

Wow, you actually pumped health without GG.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:57 pm

Lujo

Postby Darvin on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:06 pm

The amulet of health is a very good item, right on par with the fine sword. Both of them work best for low-level characters, but continue to contribute until later on and also have a half-decent conversion rate.

They were my two favourite items in alpha if I could snatch them up at lower levels. Until the introduction of the really overpowered stuff (starting with second iteration trisword) they were my go-to preps in the beta.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:16 pm

Yep, with the state of game being what it is, I'm seriously considering lockering the tri-sword instead of the Soul Orb, for regular dungeon runs if I have need for them.

On an unrelated sidenote, The Avatar just went down. GG TT orc monk, preps: Conversion stone & scroll, subdungeon, altar scouting, att for hp, 35 gold, +10 badge, shop scroll. I'll locker the symbol for a lark, as I converted the fine sword to get out of GG along the way (otherwise I'd locker the swor instead of the Soul Orb that I never actually prepared).

And +HP items are silly with early game monks at any level. HP is basicaly what you pay for your physical att, so a +10 item boosts your "resurce pool" for 100%, effectively doubling your potential damage output. Which also breaks the Blood Symbol (it gives -20% damage, but it give you twice the hits effectively giving you more damage than it takes for a while. For 8 gold with awesome conversion. LOL.). All this is especialy awesome with Orcs, as their conversions are stacking, which means that at some point you get more bas damage out of the cheap junk than you'd get from any item but the trisword, getting TT piety along the way.
Last edited by Lujo on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:21 pm

I'm giving this a try too. Unfortunately Orc won't cooperate and unlock so I'm not steamrolling everything. I've also only managed to get Pactmaker to appear once, so no Paladin nonsense quite yet.

The big difference I did was that I unlocked Warlord instead of Assassin, as I'd rather have Trisword and CYDSTEPP than APHEELSIK.

Lujo, did you unlock the Elite items? Or did you stop in the shop quest line right before they got added? I *think* that Elven Boots, Amulet of Yendor, and the two Kegs are good enough that it'll be worth the Dwarven Gauntelts, Wicked Guitar, and Orb of Zot being added - considering none of those 3 items are actually bad.
gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:31 pm

Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:21 am

Well, even if you unlock him you're still guaranteed TT, GG, and Pactmaker in every run. So there is still no luck godwise.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons