[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Postby Sidestepper on Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:37 pm

Lucky you, I happen to have a helm right now.

Price: 13
Conversion: 50
+1 Mana, +5 HP, +2 Dam

I think you get it by finishing beginner's brigade, but I'm not sure.

I understand where you're coming from on the Elites. This weird meta-game that we're playing is really a puzzle, and the object is to figure out the most consistent set up. If you are already dong well with your set up, then adding a new feature that lets you 'win harder' some times but weakens your position in others, then that isn't a great trade.

It's a little different for me because I went ahead and unlocked all the classes, mostly for the monsters. It just doesn't feel right without the whole bestiary.

Oh, don't worry about Naga City screwing up your god unlocks. All 9 altars spawn normally, and then things go back to business as usual once you finish the map. Same thing with the final tower.

EDIT: I'm really hoping that modding will make it possible to tweak the tables to our liking. I'd like to play a more 'honest' game where I do all the quests, but can excise the 'rewards' that I don't like (I'm looking at you, Complicated Tasks II).

EDIT AGAIN: More digressing... I think that the core of the game works just fine. If you play the random dungeons and don't bring preps, you get an experience very similar to the alpha. If you do bring preps, you should be able to win very consistently, and there's enough wiggle room that it doesn't really matter if your shops and altars are filled with mediocre offers.

The cracks only really show on the most extreme dungeons and the most restrictive quests, where the only way to win at all is to get the magic combination of the most efficient items available. I get the impression that the devs are balancing the game around the 'normal' game, which is where most people are going to spend their time on anyway. The people on this board have been here for a long time and are much more interested in the extreme aspects of the game. It might be just as well that they aren't balancing around our playstyles. I'm really hoping that the game will be moddable enough to hold our intererst after release.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:08 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:39 pm

Lujo, I find the difficulty you had with Namtar perplexing. I know someone here has beaten him Purist.

It's not the Crypt, but its definitely one of the easier Vicious dungeons. I'd even rather play it than Magma Mines, Slime Pits, or Shifting Passages.
gjaustin

Postby gjaustin on Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Also, I think that Hero's Helm might be unlocked by beating one of the dungeons with all four tier 3 classes. Which explains why we haven't seen it.

I'm also wondering where Piercing Wand is (see my other thread that I'll be posting shortly). I *think* that it's from the Bloodmage's Easy quest.
gjaustin

Postby Sidestepper on Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:13 pm

Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:32 pm

I agree with the analysis.

Mysteria and EM are good desacration fodder, but GG is practicaly a piety farm in and off himself if I take him first.

Taurog can get me an extra 15% resists if I need them and doesn't restrict my healing the way Drac does (as well as being a good piety farm), and I think I'll go with him, eventually.

Also, I've beaten the hard Gaan'Telet with a purist Orc monk, big whoop.

I worshipped only mysteria (and used no boons, so it turned out I didn't really need any gods), the floors were 1) Bridge Trolls, 2) Vampires, 3) Goats and Horatio, and I eventually converted everyhting besides Halpmeh, +10% Damage Badge, Some H and Mana Potions and the Fine Sword. The only difficult thing was the first Bridge troll, but everything besides that was meh...

What I gather from that is that a purist Orc Monk without any gods is stupidly strong. Ok, I did find a conversion stone along the way, but hey, it was my second try, and I almost beat the animated armor floor on the last one. Got the 5th animated armor down to one hit before running out of resources.

On an unrelated note, I've unlocked the vicious Halls of Steel with a pisorff Orc Wizard (conversion stone), an orc Thief (conversion stone), and an Orc Paladin (conversion stone).

Funny thing hapened with the pally, I converted every glyph but halpmeh and fireball (in retrospect a dumb move considering any orc with enough conversion breaks pissorf) and killed the Indomitable . Then i realized I haven't yet found the other boss, and I found him on the last square - BLEATY -.-' And me with only 35% protection -.-' I used all my resources to gather enough mana and piety and conversion, fireballed him till i had no more mana anywhere, converted everything except - perservarance badge! Took the death protection, just one - and killed him.

Moral of the story? One death protection per level is more than enough. Cydstep is a stupid feature.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby TigerKnee on Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:35 pm

Hero's Helm unlocks from a quest that asks you to complete one of the early dungeons (it is either Den of Danger or Venture Cave) as a purist.

I don't know the criteria to unlock the quest itself though.
TigerKnee

Postby dislekcia on Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:37 pm

dislekcia

Postby dislekcia on Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:38 pm

Also, silent update is on the way... Have fun with the vicious tower :)
dislekcia

Postby gjaustin on Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:01 pm

Well, you did buff the Monk pretty substantially in the most recent patch :)
gjaustin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons