Paladins, Poison, and Tikki Tooki...

All things Desktop Dungeons

Paladins, Poison, and Tikki Tooki...

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:38 am

As many of you may know, the old venom blade was one of the singe most powerful items in the game. I'm talking level one 50 protection indomitable kills as a warlord. What you may not realized, or maybe I'm just slow, is that Tiki's poison boon has the same effect! As a level 1 Paladin packing 50 gold you can obtain poison immediately and proceed to crush everything. If the venom blade was powerful, this is too...
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Re: Paladins, Poison, and Tikki Tooki...

Postby Darvin on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:41 am

Agreed. It was probably okay at the time of the venom sword nerf because we only had 25 gold preparation and Tikki was otherwise a piety scrooge for low-level characters, so you'd be level 3 or 4 by the time you got it. Now that 50 gold preps are available, it's a problem.
Darvin

Postby TigerKnee on Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:43 am

I don't know, Paladins are supposed to be good at abusing religions now I guess (unlike the rest of the "religious" classes lol)

Everyone else doesn't really want to do this at level 1, because TT doesn't really like long-term regen fighting. Poison boon sort of helps lower his piety drain but you're still kind of bleeding out if you aren't playing a Paladin.
TigerKnee

Postby gjaustin on Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:01 am

I'm not sure this strategy is that much stronger than just playing an Assassin.

That said, I do think that either Tribute should give less piety or his other boons shouldn't give the gold.
gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:50 am

It IS much stronger than playing assasin, as getting quick poison mean you get one TT piety every time you hit anything, and with dodge bought, and monotheism, you get as many potion boons as you have healing potions.

If you know your way around TT potions, 5 of each ends you with 10 improved cydsteps. And that allows you to walk through the goo floor in Gaan'Telet without taking a hit. Otherwise, It's not smart to sink your gold into poison that quickly as you can easily get it after killing some popcorn.

TT paladin is really really strong, and can probably beat Gaan'Telet with only Soul Orb, Patches, Knockback Mace, 50 gold prep and TT unlocked. However, I've never beaten Gaan'Telet (any version but the HARD one that ends the questline) without TT poison.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:24 pm

I suppose I'll post some outrageous win to prove my point. If I decide to.

This strategy also works with goblins, so you get it at level 2. Have 10 lower levels to kill for piety, and then destroy a level 6-8.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:00 pm

If it wasn't for the crashes this strategy woud've net me 4-5 Gaan'Telet wins with Paladin, a regen fighter. It's incredibly powerful.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:50 am

Neft to gold costs. Now it's 25 extra gold to get that poison boon if you're going at it that way.
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby The Avatar on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:24 am

True, but it'll still be easy because Paladin's can't lose piety.

The Avatar

Postby TigerKnee on Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:02 am

While this fixes this (strong?) strategy, I'm worried it makes TT lame again for a "first" god.

Let's see...

Start with 25 gold - Can't buy TT's edge until like 45 gold tributed. Maybe 30 gold + killing 1 lower level enemy but the point is you can't grab it straight away. Technically you can't buy it with the 1-1 conversion either, but getting 5 more gold is easy.

35 gold - Still can't buy TT's edge right off the bat, but easier now.

50 gold - Can buy TT's edge off the bat albeit at a terrible conversion rate.

Ho hum, I don't have any other comment.
TigerKnee

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons