Will the final version crash every 10 minutes?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Will the final version crash every 10 minutes?

Postby FDru on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:38 am

Because I'm about out of patience and ready to throw in the towel. I don't even want to play anymore because Unity hard crashes my browser after a few runs, guaranteed, and it's a huge hassle to get firefox back up and running after a crash.

I've made a separate launch shortcut just for Desktop Dungeons so at least it's only crashing itself instead of all of my browser activity, but it still locks up everything for several minutes when it decides to crash and is a major problem.

There's no apparent action causing this, the game just runs sluggishly from the get-go (it's gotten worse with the last few updates) and eventually hard crashes everything.

I hate to say I'm starting to regret supporting this iteration of the game, because it seems like it's being built on an engine that is a gigantic pile of crap. One of the best things about DD Alpha was that it could be played while doing other things because it was so lightweight. Trying to play the Beta with any other program running is an absolute disaster, especially other games (so playing a few runs while waiting in a League of Legends queue or something, is completely out of the question).

Sorry for this rant, but I'm very frustrated and frankly sad. I want to like this game (it's obviously good) and I hope it ends up being great, but the performance of the Beta has gotten worse and worse and has been a huge disappointment.

So I just really need to know one simple thing: is it going to get better?
FDru

Re: Will the final version crash every 10 minutes?

Postby TigerKnee on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:24 pm

I sure hope so.

I used to play DD in Firefox but after what you described happened way too many times, I eventually just open up a different browser (IE, Chrome) and play DD in that instead. At least if it crashes it'll only take itself down.
TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:27 pm

I play on safari, and it hasn't crashed in AGES.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:37 pm

I feel your pain. We've been joking that the crashes were an intentional silent nerf to Monk. :(
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Murdus on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:29 pm

... I dont know about you guys, I use Firefox, and it NEVER crashed for me. ... It DOES freeze up my browser for a good 20 seconds to load every time I exit a dungeon, or enter one, but I never crashed.
Murdus

Postby xspeedballx on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:40 pm

I have run this game on chrome since beta started, and I have never had a crash of my browser. The game has crashed a few times, but that's what beta games do, but never my whole browser and never what I would call frequently. I am not saying this problem is not the game, but maybe you need to troubleshoot something with your own computer as well?
xspeedballx

Postby Lujo on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:00 pm

All of my crashes have been in chrome, gonna try safari like Avatar suggested.

Also, the game HAS slowed down considerably in this update.
Lujo

Postby FDru on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:07 pm

I've tried running it in IE, with similar issues.

As far as my computer goes, there's nothing wrong with it and it's set up specifically for gaming. The hardware isn't exactly top of the line but it's nothing so old that it should cause any problems. No unnecessary services are allowed to run except for my browser, and it runs most modern games without any issues. As a matter of fact, I don't recall having problems with any other Unity applications either.

I'm not the only one who has these problems, and I've posted about them before in the support forum. I believe it was disleksia who said that he thought it was memory issues (or something like that) but that was the last and only thing that has been said about them (or that I have seen, correct me if I'm wrong). So this has been a long waiting game of hoping the devs get around to looking into the problem / fixing it with no end in sight, and it's just gotten worse.

I realize it's a beta, I don't expect perfection by any means. But I want to know that these problems are being acknowledged or looked into because I'm just going to give up now and stop investing time into this if it's not going to be fixed eventually.
FDru

Postby Sidestepper on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:41 pm

Yeah, I had to quit after having four dungeon runs end in a crash in a row.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:55 pm

Gaan'Telet crashed sooner than usual, on Safari i installed just to try it out.

Profile Lujinho.

TT Paladin.

I Had blobs on lvl 2, got through them without getting hit, found TT and sand trolls one level below, took poison, killed 2-3 trolls - unity crash.

And I had to scum 6-7 times to find soul orb, now that I've unlocked the 3 Lvl bazzar. It wasn't worth it by a long shot. I can't beat that dungeon without both Soul Orb and Dragonshield, and that mean every X-th run is worth laying at all. Do I wan't killer missclicks or Unity crashes there? No. I do not.

I have a screenshot, but I've allready posted it they're all the same.
Lujo

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons