Ick Swamp "Way of the open fist"

All things Desktop Dungeons

Ick Swamp "Way of the open fist"

Postby DEATHBOT on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:44 am

I have been trying this quest for ages now and I think that as a monk it is almost impossible, especially without kingdom preparations. I always get surrounded by plants, the only ones I can kill are the Mana burn plants, as a monk being poisoned with 0 XP is a death sentence and so is corrosion. IMO the level needs a lot less plants, or is there some tactic I am not thinking of? Has anyone else had a problem with this quest?
DEATHBOT

Re: Ick Swamp "Way of the open fist"

Postby Darvin on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:27 am

Ick Swamp's difficulty has increased substantially, and the place has always been a death trap for Monks. I'd say preparations should definitely be allowed on this level; it's pretty much on the same level as the Slime Pits in terms of difficulty now that it has two bosses and a much more deadly assortment of plants. For my part, I'm not even attempting this quest line for now. Maybe if the devs got around to buffing the Martyr Wraps I could be bothered, but this level of difficulty for an item I really don't want in the first place?

I'd say your best approach is probably to go for Jehora Jeheyu with Chaos Avatar. This will wipe out all your corrosion and weakening plus it will bring down the boss's resists, which is one of his biggest advantages. Still not very reassuring at all.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:36 am

Earthemother can make this level really easy, or has for me in the past. If you manage to find her first, then use her gylph on some plants to gain piety, and than use her "Clearance" boon a couple of times, it becomes a lot easier.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Gorgon on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:41 am

Yeah, Earthmother really makes it easier.

Also, only start fighting Itsssamna after the other boss. He won't be much of a problem. He has 50% resists (he used to have 80%), so find BYSEPS.
Gorgon

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:20 pm

They really nerfed some bosses. For example the berserker is 82 damage, 239(?) hp, berserk 50%, and no protections.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Keep in mind that Itsaama used to be the boss of Deep Swamp, and only migrated to Ick Swamp once that level was retired. The former Ick Swamp boss (Ssseth) was about as strong as Itsaama is now. As a Monk, you're still looking at a nasty scenario that's on par with the Slime Pits, except on this one you're not allowed preparations.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Especially with the addition of Barbing Bushes.
What is the new progression? Southern Swamp, Hexx Ruins, and then Ick?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:48 pm

After defeating Hexx Ruins, you have to play until you find the Naga subdungeon. Once you receive their challenge, Ick Swamp is unlocked.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:27 pm

I know, I mean of the open fist questline. Did the new Ick replace the pits as the 3rd dungeon?

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:53 am

No, it's still the second, and it still requires no preps (effectively making it the hardest of the three now)
Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons