[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Unlocking Half-Dragon, Gorgon, Vampire

Unlocking Half-Dragon, Gorgon, Vampire

All things Desktop Dungeons

Unlocking Half-Dragon, Gorgon, Vampire

Postby TigerKnee on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:16 pm

No, this topic isn't about which three classes to use to beat their dungeons.

Now, as we all know, unlocking these 3 classes require that you beat 3 Vicious dungeons 3 times with different classes. This is by no means an easy task (please no talk about resist abuses or whatever) and probably won't ever be (since the base intention is to beat several Vicious dungeons multiple times)

However, currently as it stands, the monster classes aren't really that great. Vampire is basically considered to be the SUCKIEST (haha, see what I did there?) class and both HD and Gorgon are still only really around mid-tier.

In other words, these classes are...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... ghtsReward

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm actually okay with the HD and Gorgon power level now. If they were comparatively easy to unlock like the Alpha version then they would probably be a fun diversion but after grueling through those Vicious dungeons it kind of takes a lot out of me to want to play them again.

Anyway, since I don't think you should raise those classes power levels to superhuman levels, how about making them easier to unlock? It's more fun to actually use those guys in an actual game rather than as post-game content.

The old quest for them right now can be changed to unlock 3 new items that are good for them or something. :D
TigerKnee

Re: Unlocking Half-Dragon, Gorgon, Vampire

Postby gjaustin on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:59 pm

I agree - especially now that the Vampire unlock quest has been moved to Vicious Halls of Steel. I still haven't beaten that level at all, much less with three classes.

I think they should probably also have quest lines of their own to encourage you to actually use them.
gjaustin

Postby Fran on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Fran

Postby Gorgon on Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:32 pm

Half-dragon is not that weak, I beat naga city with him. The Gorgon is nice too, but really hard to use. The vampire is the worst of them. I find it difficult to beat most bosses with him (except SMM).
Gorgon

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:58 pm

So for quest, the gorgon is an out cast of the naga empire who wishes revenge. To humiliate them you must beat Stheno and Itssama with a Faithless Paladin and then kill the prince with a Priest-type class.

As for the Half-Dragon, He is a man that wishes to be a dragon. He promises his help in exchange for Dragon Blood. Unfortunately, Dragon Blood is easily contaminated through magical works and even if you did get some, the Druids would come to kill you. First you must beat Getandafix with 4 classes, and then Zin Kibaru with 4 also. Then you must kill all dragons in Dragon Isles (Matron included) and get the warmonger award.

The Vampire is attempting to get rid of Namtar and his commanders so he can command the undead forces. No one must know of your plot, just in case his Namtar's most loyal followers get suspicious. Beat Blah Blah, Anoobis, and The Indomotable with an Assassin and then Beat Namtar with a thief-type class.

While these quest lines force you to beat Vicious the constraints are actually helpful. The gorgon constraint has Paladin and Monk in it, two great classes for Naga City, The Dragon one scres berserker, and Rogues are a Great Class for Namtar.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:10 pm

And in order to "upgrade" your Transmuter to the Old transmuter, you have to beat the old Bleaty with the new Bleaty.

Although i kind of like those ideas (apart from my one). I'm not really sure if they make the classes easier to unlock, though, and the problem ATM is that too many people can't unlock them even to test them (especially the vampire, this has been a roblem for a while).
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:12 pm

True. I guess it's my hardcore nature that feels the need to make them hard to unlock.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby xspeedballx on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:25 pm

In my oh so humble opinion difficult unlocks should provide one of two things:
A powerful reward that would have made that difficult unlock easier(so a above the curve class, item, spell, etc.)
A unique experience different than the process to date, does not necessarily have to be balanced just fun and unique(reverse plants vs zombies comes to mind, or Tofu mode in RE2 comes to mind).

Single player games scream for these sort of things. Because if you give broken things after completing the hardest objectives then you are just giving pudding in the sand box(eww gross WOO MIXED METAPHORS!)

My biggest dream from the monster classes since alpha was for them to be introduced to D&D Third Edition where they could get classes! Conceptually it would be cool that after picking a monster race they could pick a class, and they get 1 predetermined ability of that class that complements them. This is a humongous amounts of design so I don't expect it but there would be a lot of fun in it.
xspeedballx

Postby gjaustin on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:34 pm

gjaustin

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:37 pm

How so? Rogue would be better as they have natural first strike.

The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons