[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Monk still ridiculous + a guide to playing this game

Postby xspeedballx on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:03 pm

To be honest? I haven't noticed your behavior change at all. You are still repeating the things over and over again that you want fixed. The devs read the forums, they don't need to tell you that they agree, you should be able to feel confident knowing that they read it and if you are so sure that you made a good point(and you do make good points) that they will look into it and address it in some way when they find a way that they like that fits with current and future design.

You are still making demands. You are still acting like you are better than the developers at making their game. You feel you were only noticed because you got annoying, but the truth is likely you only got a REACTION because you were being annoying. Like stated before it is very likely the things you have stated were noticed and were being watched and were on the docket to be addressed. I work in a development environment. Telling people what to test is the best way to release a buggy product. Selectively highlighting changes and making people think about them is a great way to notice holes. Discussions about the in's and out's and theory of a item or change like you provided are fantastic. There is no need for the behavior you presented. You feel the developers ignored things for months and years. Based on communication I see no evidence of that. Do you know if they haven't been struggling to program some key background systems so that they could adjust stuff for the last few months? Do they HAVE to tell you that?

I think a lot of what you say IS spot on. I say this despite I loathe to stroke that ego of yours but I prefer to be honest. I also pretty much have no desire to read what you write anymore because of the attitude. Every time you SAY I should read it, I feel like reading it a little less. Every time you say you apologize and know you are being an ass, you follow it up with being an ass, so it doesn't really make me think you do. So really continue to post walls of text, your thoughts, your math you empirical evidence and your experiences. I am quite sure we all like to read them. But drop the attitude because I know that *I* am tired of it(realizing that I can only speak for me).
xspeedballx

Postby Gorgon on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:16 pm

Yeah, you don't need that attitude... even if all the single-paragraph posts I wrote got no attention at all, I would continue being polite.

And everyone knows that the monk is a walking cheat code, so you don't need to repeat it over and over :|
Gorgon

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:20 pm

Again, I don't need my ego stroked, for god's sake. I wouldn't mind all of my posts up untill yesterday deleted - I went and tried to do it today only to find I can't for some reason. Not seeing any reaction was what pent up my frustration to impossible levels, and the "goad them into trying stuff out" approach was making me feel like a lab rat, and I allready had pots of evidence - long before subanark did what he did.

Again, could I please get at least a way to wipe all the spam off the forums? Just because I'm capable of being an arrogant ass, It doesn't mean I'm incapable of being genuinely nice and well meaning. I'd start with changing this thread title, for one thing, since that at least was adressed, and seeing it at the top of the list everytime someone post here is making me really regret thinking I have to call it that.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:31 pm

If you hit edit there's a checkbox to delete a post.

And yes, you were being a jerk (as has been pointed out), but at least you're stopping. I've met worse people.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Lujo

Postby xspeedballx on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:46 pm

On topic about monks, I wonder if with their original 50/50 reduction they could have been balanced with a reduction in spell casting ability. Maybe starting with 5 mana? Or having no natural mana recovery(reverse bludtopowa) but get 1 mana per kill(inherent blue bead). In my other post I spoke about flavor, and I am just trying to maintain it in this very fun and unique class, and I feel less of it with the recent change.

On another note and this is just general, I think a class that gained mana and/or health back on peity gain in some fashion would be really neat. Make you really think about a lot choices as you make them and when.
xspeedballx

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:57 pm

Well, restricting their spellcasting ability would encroach on Berserker flavour a lot more in my opinion.

And from what I've seen in the thread (and i liked, I just didn't wan't to spam it, even though I feel the same way about certain things, like the warlord), I sort of see the link between you liking the old Monk and the Bloodmage. Yes, their abilities certanly set them apart from other classes, only in really unbalancing ways. I've stated this before somewhere - the new monk feels rather more flavourfull the way he is now than the way he was (he does a mirror-opposite of the Berserker on one level, but plays very different on another).

And I'd really like to see piety (and CP and gold) tied in with more things in the game, not just "positive" ones but hazards as well. I feel all that is a really unexplored area, and I actually like the new goat subdungeon.
Lujo

Postby xspeedballx on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:06 pm

I get what you say about encroaching on berserker. Then again and this may seem like I am talking outside of both sides of my mouth, that may not be the worst thing in the world. Two classes that are not functionally awesome with magic is not really a terrible thing especially where in other manners they are distinct. I do like the no mana regen idea more than the reduced starting mana idea though because of the feel.

I get what you have to say with the amount of design space with all of the other resources in the game. I think though it is something you have to be careful with. It is nice if there is at least one stable resource that is what it is and you can rely on it to behave like it does all the time. I suppose vicious dungeons goal is to mess with that thought(and they do). But I think if ALL resources in the game had something that attacked it, you may feel at times you are approaching a puzzle blindfolded. Which MAY be less fun(note the may). Otherwise I fully agree, lots of design space. Though you know the devs may want to save some design space for post release updates, so they can focus on tuning pre-release.
xspeedballx

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:10 pm

A mana reduction is a bad idea. Then you're really forcing Taurog on them. And it isn't HALPMEH that broke their magic resistance. I went Warmonger on Gaan-Telet and Naga City.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:16 pm

Yeah, about the berserker/monk thing, but I would mind less if we weren't talking about really powerfull stuff like 50% starting resists.

On the other topic, this HAS come to my mind when considering the topic, I just like to throw it out there here and there, trying to see if anything from that direction is coming up. Any time anyone mentions the sorcerer, I remember how the prep system allowed him to start with fireball which made him a lot stronger than he was in alpha (coupled with the map layout that gets you "walled" in a lot less). It get's me thinking about other things that were buffed from alpha times, but the buffs weren't then balanced out by something tangible, or at all (or were, but it's not obvious).

And plenty of design space there, too...
Last edited by Lujo on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons