Where is my flaming sword?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Where is my flaming sword?

Postby xspeedballx on Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Sorry to make a new topic on such a singular thought. However, I felt it needed to be highlighted because I just realized why there has been a whole in my heart since alpha.

Melee magic damage please?

To make this slightly less insular does anyone have a list of all of the elite items and function? I suppose this could go into my unlock thread and it might but it sort of a different concept!
xspeedballx

Re: Where is my flaming sword?

Postby Darvin on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:45 pm

Right now the half-dragon and the BURNDAYRAZ glyph are the only two ways to deal magic damage, so I definitely agree we need more. Still, just converting your attack from physical to magic is kinda circumstantial. Perhaps the flaming sword could add a set amount of magic damage to your attack?

As for the elite items (off the top of my head):
Keg of Health (+3 health potions)
Keg of Mana (+3 mana potions)
Wicked Guitar (raises every visible enemy's level by one; reusable, but cannot affect same enemy twice)
Orb of Zot (-50% max health to every visible enemy)
Amulet of Yendor (+50 XP when used)
Elven Boots (+2 max mana, +15% magic resist)
Dwarven Gauntlets (+2 HP, +20% attack bonus)
Darvin

Postby xspeedballx on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:52 pm

Well I don't think it needs to be spectacular but it could be an interesting tool. It could give an option in dungeons such that instead of keeping burndayraz around you could use this and convert it when not needed. It alters kill priorities in general. And in some dungeons would be a wash(golems and goo's) in some dungeons would be an odd trade (goo's and goats) and sometimes you just don't want it. If it gave bonus damage I would feel it should have a backlash.
xspeedballx

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:07 pm

A bysepps glyph for the mind? Costs a small chunk of mana, your next physical attack deals magical damage instead. Or a part of it is converted to magical.
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby xspeedballx on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:10 pm

My concern there is... another glyph. Glyph management is already a bit rough and I think even one more might make that complicated. UNLESS it was a shop only glyph. THAT might be neat.
xspeedballx

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:50 pm

Or replace one of the glyphs that already conflicts with some out there. Like WONAFYT...
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:00 am

...and make it MAGYKHYT.

Alternatively, making the flaming sword do 75% of damage dealt is magic might be better.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:36 am

Given that it now would take up inventory space, this would leave it a very niche item. Basically for Goo Blobs and equivalent bosses only, which most of the time would be a shop-waster. That's why I think it should offer magic damage above your regular attack is the right way to go. This makes it a useful item even if you aren't facing enemies with resists. Also, this would make it the only damage boosting item that is unaffected by either your attack bonus or base attack... sorely needed for Elves, Gnomes, Goblins, and Dwarves who are looking to compete with Humans, Orcs, and Trillings.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:29 am

So it's like 3 magic damage per level, unaffected by everything (Excluding enemy magic resist).
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:38 am

Yup, that'd be the idea. Subject to balancing, of course.
Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons