Thoughts on new Vicious Halls of Steel

All things Desktop Dungeons

Thoughts on new Vicious Halls of Steel

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:41 pm

Originally, this was one of the harder vicious dungeons for a number of reasons.
First, the actual monsters in the dungeon are NASTY! The two hardest monsters in the game are both here... Animated Armours and Illusions. One just never dies, and the other punishes you beyond repair. Thus making most of these level 5-6+ unkillable. Most are forced to IMAWALL them, or very thoroughly WEYTWUT to make up for the massive amount of lost experience. Then, you come to the boss. Not much weaker health/damage than many bosses with debilitating effects, but instead of punishing you with debilitating effects, he has 50 levels of death protection. Thus forcing you to save the already pushed to the limit resources just to have a seemingly endless endurance fight with him. Much harder than super meat man because Whupaz has no effect, or possibly even a negative effect if your damage is high enough. With no illusion stone, many areas can often be blocked off by high level illusions, in addition, you have no big bonus to help jump levels. 50% magic resist allows you to tank warlocks to make up lost experience, but the vicious dungeon doesn't have this.
There were only a few classes that could even beat this dungeon. These are: Monk and sorcerer for sure, and possibly wizard, paladin, bloodmage, and transmuter (haven't tried after his nerf).

Now, the new vicious dungeon adds Blah Blah to the mess. 120 damage, 40% lifesteal, Blink, and as much health as super meat man. Let's just say that even if you had enough resources to take down the indomitable, (highly unlikely on most runs), Blah Blah just walks over to you and laughs.

Either I'm missing something critical here, or this dungeon is by far more vicious than many due to limited resources, its unique endurance strategy, and the monsters that populate it. Anyone have some suggestions? I'd like to unlock the vampire on his new kingdom specifically built for him, but I've hit this *minor* roadblock.
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Re: Thoughts on new Vicious Halls of Steel

Postby gjaustin on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:28 pm

I don't think you're missing anything.

I HATE this dungeon, so much that I feel like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92IkddsjtAA
gjaustin

Postby Gorgon on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:34 pm

I've done it with a Tikki Tooki Goblin Sorcerer with crystal ball, HALPMEH and dragon shield. And a lot of scumming.

Then, I used the same strategy with the Wizard, but without crystal ball. I ran out of resources when BlahBlah had around 70 HP.

I agree it's extremely difficult. Probably more difficult than Naga City.
Gorgon

Postby Darvin on Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:59 pm

I'd say it's the second-hardest level in the game after vicious Gaan-Telet currently, and it's not too far behind. Definitely well and thoroughly over the top, especially since it puts the Vampire class essentially out of reach for 95% of players.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:15 pm

And even if you get him he sucks. A ton. Just weaken the Indomitable to 20 as his hard form is 10.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:24 pm

I'd prefer to see the 50 point indomitable and Blah Blah get pulled from vicious halls of Steel, then put the Vampire unlock on Namtar's Lair.
Darvin

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:29 pm

I've beaten the old crypt version to unlock vampire on my main, but this new and improved vicious version is insane. But yea, they need to change something about this, unless they want all the monster classes to be nigh impossible to unlock. Not sure as to what yet...
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby Darvin on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:45 pm

Well, Half-Dragon is relatively straightforward in the current version. JJ Gnome Warlords and Taurog Berserkers both cleave through Dragon Isles fairly smoothly, and really you can always use the LEMMISI/WEYTWUT combo to skip the Matron's Guards and conserve resources for the final battle.

I will agree, however, that unlocking the Gorgon is nasty, and the Vampire is insane.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:05 pm

Actually, I'm having much more trouble with Dragon Isles than naga city. I got a monk win (before the change), and then a Bloodmage with HALPMEH, BLUDTUPOWA, Mana Leak, and Crystal Ball. And then an identical Paladin win.

But dragon isles keeps screwing me over. I'm just not able to get my hp high enough to take the boss, or if I do get it high, I waste all my resources.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:12 pm

Take a JJ Gnome Warlord in with the Avatar's Symbol as a prep. Boost your mana up to 25 (so 1 potion = 10 mana) or get a soul orb. Use boost health to get your HP up to the point at which you can survive one hit, and away you go. I've also done it with a JJ Gnome Bloodmage; fairly straightforward as of this version, you just gotta conserve resources. JJ Gnome Assassin is also superb since he can just blow straight through the Matron's Guards with swift hands without using resources. And that's without even having to touch the Berserker.

If you really wanna get devious, use LEMMISI to reveal the guards, then use WEYTWUT to just teleport straight to the Matron. Trillings and JJ Gnomes of virtually any class can usually take it from there without difficulty if you didn't blow resources against the Firstborn.
Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons