[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - MY thoughts on stuff!

MY thoughts on stuff!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: MY thoughts on stuff!

Postby harfatum on Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:28 pm

Or rather than the nettles being non-removable (which IMO is less fun), they could just have a negative conversion value.
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Postby xspeedballx on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:50 pm

Well when you are rolling in money from the release of this game, you should look into finding a manufacturer who can make a limited run of a provided design. I believe Scott Kurtz of pvponline did this a long time ago making a "Skull" plushie.
xspeedballx

Postby Darvin on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Darvin

Postby Crawly McCrawlsa on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:32 pm

If any of you have seen the beanie baby goat, it's largely similar to the alpha goat on the loading screen.
I play everything in every genre. Send me a message!
Dear DD Designers, you're awesome. TY!
steam name: bobbywojo (BrbHouseOnFire)
Crawly McCrawlsa

Postby dislekcia on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:02 am

dislekcia

Postby xspeedballx on Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Ok so I "beat" the game on my second profile. Some thoughts arose from that which I want to share.

1) Unlocking Ick Swamp needs some hint somewhere. Maybe there is one, but I didn't see it. There is almost no reason to want to go back to Hexx Ruins after beating it once, and even if you go back there once for Bazaar quest there is no guarantee you will get the quest for Ick Swamp. I mention all of this only because this is the only way to get the naga tail. I can see this being a point of confusion for new players.

2) I can see it happening to someone(especially if confused by the above note) that they end up with a quest to go to Gaan Talet, but can't go in because they are missing a trophy, and they don't have the money to get that trophy, and the economy is tanked.. It is great that you don't need money to BEAT Gaan Talet but I feel it is possible for a slower learner of the game to end up in a pickle before they can get there. I have no specific suggestion here, except for maybe create burning levels around when the first few hard modes are beat that give 2x money for the boss.

3) Not sure money balance is optimal, I am going to do a new profile for various reasons that is going to unlock everything ASAP, always complete all quests, and gobble up everything. This is partially to simulate a new player experience so I can give thoughts on dungeon balance(I have some thoughts but I feel I need to see it again because of recent changes). My limited unlock profile beat the game with about 4000 gold, and about 3500+ gold worth of stuff to unlock in town. Not sure if that is intended but this could lead to the pickle as described above.

4) This last piece is a point of me possibly being a little dense at times but I figure if it can happen to me it can happen to anyone. Playing a spell caster is advanced play. The tactics feel less obvious especially as a newbie because you never feel as powerful as just punching things even as a fighter(see notes on perceived strength). Not sure how or if to fix this, but I just feel learning to play a pure spellcaster(even if they can/are overpowered) is hard.
xspeedballx

Postby Darvin on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:35 pm

Darvin

Postby xspeedballx on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:14 pm

Hmm I wasn't aware that the ick swamp sub dungeon could pop up anywhere. I think I need to update my own "unlocking" thread. That point is moot then.

I am not sure if I did something different that ended up with things progressing differently, but I still had 1 or 2 trophies left including naga tail(and did not have ick swamp yet) when gaan talet appeared on my map. I also still had 3 level 3 upgrades to complete for class buildings, only level 1 alchemist, level 2 bazaar, level 1 witch, and a ton of preps to purchase.

I am going to be doing another run where I am just going to be gobbling and unlocking everything as I see it. See how that feels.
xspeedballx

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:51 pm

I had zombie brain left. Partially because the RNG was screwing me over. I had to beat Naga City for that stupid trophy. NAGA CITY!
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:23 am

Zin Karabu in the Havensdale Bridge is now a Zombie, so it's not actually too hard to find a zombie brain.

Really the nastiest one is the Meatloaf, which requires you to venture into Slime Pits (and beat the Goo boss first... yuck) if you don't get him to spawn elsewhere.
Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons