[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - On RNG Swing

On RNG Swing

All things Desktop Dungeons

On RNG Swing

Postby Summerwine on Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:04 am

Relatively new poster. Long time DD fan. Love the game so far, but I do have one critique.

RNG swing is a bit too much of a factor. Especially since certain items like zombie dog and even certain deities a useless to the point players are better off not unlocking them if they want a certain strategy. I appreciate you wanting to make every item potentially useful in run. but currently this is a bad situation. Part of the issue here is the locker. Having enough spaces to put everything you want in there renders the spaces much less meaningful, but at the same time with all the different classes and the number of items that are pretty much required to play certain classes in certain ways, such as Trisword, dragon shield, stone heart, flame heart, Crystal Ball, Poison/Mana burn preventers, the sensory stone, the midas gloves for tinkers, wharghlblarghl..., it currently feels like there are WAY too few spaces, making it a bit too restrictive.

Making all the items equally useful would fix this, but is easier said than done. A new prep building that will actually remove certain items and deities would be great. Maybe one slot to forbid a specific god, and two slots to forbid specific items from appearing in shops like spoons, zombie dog, and certain seconday potions could be an elegant solution. That way, say, priests could forbid Dracul or wizards forbid Traurog, or people who don't like Pactmaker forbidding pactmaker. Being able to specify a specific deity would be way too strong, but this would keep certain completely useless deities from appearing.
Summerwine

Re: On RNG Swing

Postby q 3 on Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:23 am

I have an idea: have a bigger locker, but items that are currently in your locker never appear in shops (unless and until the item is removed from the locker). That makes for an interesting choice: you want to have cool items in your locker so you can prep them, but you also want to leave cool items out of your locker so you can buy them; conversely, you want to have crummy items in your locker so you can block them, but you want to leave crummy items out of your locker because you'll never prep them. (Unless you're playing purist, in which case you'll only put crummy items in your locker, but that really only affects me. ;) )
q 3

Postby Darvin on Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:27 am

Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:09 pm

I'd rather see locker items be MORE likely to appear in shops. It would certainly reduce scumming for the Fire Heart/Crystal Ball and Dragon Shield/Trisword combos.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:26 pm

The fact that these specific item combos are so powerful is yet another issue with the RNG; we have very few combos which complement each other as well as those two (Avatar's Symbol and Trisword is another superb one).
Darvin

Postby Fran on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:00 pm

Why not make a preperation at the thief den:

"Shady Deals"
Replaces a shop for a random lockered item for double the price.
Fran

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:16 pm

Sounds great! That way I can burning heart, and then crystal ball! Or Avatar Symbol and Tri-sword!

The only thing is then you could buy a Dragon Shield, but then again it is for 46 gold so it'd be like an elite.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:20 pm

Dragonshield, Avatar's Symbol, and Namtar's Ward are the three items that can never be bought in stores. I don't see any particular way to game them. They're strong preps, but they appeal to very different kinds of characters (and Namtar's Ward is still not worth lockering at all, IMO)
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:43 pm

No insanely broken combos, but Dragon Shield and Crystal ball would be a very nice combination
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Return to Desktop Dungeons