[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - My thoughts on the latest update!

My thoughts on the latest update!

All things Desktop Dungeons

My thoughts on the latest update!

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:30 am

This latest update has brought a lot of changes, and I'd just like to express my opinion on them.

BURNDAYRAZ and Burning: I like this change. Overall it is a good, and necessary, buff to the "core" glyph of the game. The only minor problem, is now BLUDTUPOWA is one of the/the most powerful glyph. You basically need to scum for it to have a great spell caster. If they were to add a glyph locker, as suggested in the Preparations thread, this would reduce that problem as anyone could start with this. So no more scumming. It is also nice that Whurrgaburgle is a good item. Not too good, not too bad.

Tri-Sword: Yeah, with the new nerf this really lost its potency. I might buy it in a shop for a lower price, but at its current one I'd only buy it if there was nothing better and I was about to start the boss fight.

Crystal Ball and Fire Heart: Both of these are now good hybrid items. Due to the nerd they aren't overpowered (Especially since they nerfed HALPMEH), but are still useful and good buys.

Corrosive Poison: I don't know, this kinda seems like a redundant change. I really haven't found a good use for it.

Bloodmages: I'm actually not sure weather this was more of a nerf or buff. What it did do was hybridize the Bloodmage. You get less mana per potion, but have very nice bloodpools left once your mana runs out. It's worse on Vicious when you're cut off, but seems better overall.

Priest: A nice change, and makes the class much more viable for high tier. (If you can stack resists).

Fighter: This is a good buff, although the class is mid tier now. What it really does it make you feel good about yourself as you reach level 10 SUPER EARLY!

Wizard: Well, that is good. It just stops me from wasting tiles try to get to one of the two fireball glyphs.

Transmuters: This class is subpar. Not as awful as before, but pretty darn bad. First, you have to use 90% of your tiles to get 100% on conversions. Unfortunately, you still can't make up for the stat losses. You lack in every department, but only help one with conversions. And then you're missing half the tiles.

Dwarves: While these have a great early game, they begin lacking way to fast. You do well against normal modes, but the DR won't even stop a level 5 in vicious. And against bosses, you're really hopeless.

Strength Potions: This really didn't fix the PISORF exploit. You can still get 4 times your mana in base damage at level 1. It is really the same as before, but worse if you're not going to buy one.

Jehora Jeheyu: Now he seems much more balanced. +3 mp is good, but I would lower the hp bonus to +20. +75 max is just too good for rogues.

Binlor: Good cost reduction. Now at least the boon is useable. (although his main use is resistance reduction)

Tormented One: Are they mocking us? I'd rather have 60% versus 59%. At least 60 is a round number.

Avatar Symbol: I really like it. It is much more versatile, and useful for almost all situations.

Namtar's ward: It is better now, but could still use a buff.

Well, thanks if you read this.
Last edited by The Avatar on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Re: My thoughts on the latest update!

Postby fall_ark on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:07 am

fall_ark

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:38 am

The constant "nerd" typo are funny.

Anyway, as far as Corrosive Poison goes, you basically use it the same way you use old Burning Heart since new Burning goes away when you hit something else while Corrosive doesn't.

If you need to explore some more tiles to get something to kill but absolutely have nothing at that point of time, it's a decent mana dump.
TigerKnee

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:53 am

I guess. Anyways, sorry about the typo. My auto correct always replaces it...

On another note, did anyone else know that changelings change based on class? I had done it with a Paladin only, so I assumed they always had 50% physical resistance.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:48 am

Yup, I did indeed notice.

(edit: full list)

Fighters: 1 death protection (regardless of level)
Berserkers: nothing
Warlords: 1 death protection per level (this BY FAR the nastiest)
Thief: nothing
Rogue: first strike
Assassin: poisonous
Priest: nothing
Monk: fast regen
Paladin: 50% physical resist
Wizard: magic attack
Sorcerer: counters fireball
Bloodmage: bloodless
Transmuter: nothing
Crusader: nothing
Tinker: nothing
Vampire: nothing
Half-Dragon: nothing
Gorgon: nothing

Berserk, Death Gaze, Knockback, Mana Burn, Corrosive, Weakening, Blinks, Life Steal, Undead, Magic Resist, Resist Down, and Cowardly aren't being used, so there are more than enough monster effects to fill out the roster.
Last edited by Darvin on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
Darvin

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:54 am

Incidentally, since we have 2 tier 3 classes with special effects on the glyph they start with, do you think Paladin and Bloodmage will eventually get special effects too?
TigerKnee

Postby Darvin on Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:09 am

Buffing Paladin is one of the last things on the to-do list, so I'd say a big fat no to any of that. Bloodmage is in a state of flux right now. Frankly, I think one of the coolest things about BLUDTUPOWA is that if you have life-steal on your attack it will convert life-steal into mana. Unfortunately, life-steal is a relatively rare effect so this almost never comes into play. Now that the burning heart isn't needed for burning effect, I might locker the vampiric blade and prep it for a bloodmage...
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:35 pm

Actually, the 4 mana HALPMEH nerf was pretty harsh on my elf. I went from 7 HALPMEHs to 5.

And Bloodmages to not need a buff. BLUDTUPOWA is the best glyph in the game right now...

The Avatar

Postby Gorgon on Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:42 pm

BLUDTUPOWA is not the best glyph in the game, BURNDAYRAZ is.
Gorgon

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:24 pm

True, but they are the ULTIMATE two-glyph combo. And BUDTUPOWA is what makes BURNDAYRAZ so good.

The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons