[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - The Post-Dwarf Fortress Tier List Thread

The Post-Dwarf Fortress Tier List Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

The Post-Dwarf Fortress Tier List Thread

Postby gjaustin on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:27 pm

So Dwarf Fortress has seriously changed around the class balance, so much that I'm a bit unsure where everything fits into place. I'm going to make my best guess below, but I'd love to see some other people's thoughts.

High
-----
Paladin (Still the most solid reliable class)
Assasin (Fireball changes synergize very well with Poison + corrosion boost)
Rogue (Requires JJ due to Dwarf nerf, but very strong with Namtar's Ward)
Warlord (Still solid and reliable)
Wizard (Great with Wharrgarbl, HALPMEH, or PISORF)
Monk (Abundance of magic damage monsters has dropped him quite a bit)

Mid
---
Sorcerer (A beast with Fireball combined with Wharrgarbl, Crystal Ball, and/or Fireheart)
Berserker (Unable to efficiently use Fireball, but new magic damage monsters balances that out)
Gorgon (Fireball + Wharrgarbl synergizes VERY well with her built in poison strike - damage is still low though)
Thief (Trisword nerf hurt a lot)
Priest (Trisword nerf hurt a lot, but health buff bumps him up to roughly equivalent with Thief)
Half-Dragon (Capable of a lot of burst damage, but has problems with magic resist monsters)
Fighter (Levels up really, really fast!)
Bloodmage (Provides nothing another class can't get from just finding BLUDPOWA)

Low
----
Tinkerer (Provides nothing another class doesn't provide, especially due to item costs being reduced)
Crusader (Probably has some broken Mana Leak combo, but damage boost is too conditional)
Transmuter (Has potential, but balanced far too weak)
Vampire (A Dwarf Crusader who can't get resists. I'm serious - do the math!)
gjaustin

Re: The Post-Dwarf Fortress Tier List Thread

Postby q 3 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:41 pm

I'd honestly put Assassin on top of everything, mainly due to Swift Hands. Fireballs are now obscenely overpowered if you're willing to abandon your physical attack - and unlike any other class, Assassins are perfectly happy to give up their physical attack.

I haven't tested this because I haven't unlocked him on any of my current profiles, but I'm pretty sure the Crusader can't get immunity to the Mana Leak penalty - it doesn't apply the normal "Weakning" malus, but rather its own special status that directly reduces damage done. (I still think Crusaders should be able to get immunity to Death Gaze as well as Reduce Resists - the latter would be even more valuable with the new bandits / Tomity.)

I still like Tinkers, and the reduced item costs actually help them to a large extent because their fixed -5 cost reduction works better with cheap items than with expensive ones. However, my love for them is limited to purist runs where they shine; I can definitely see how they don't gain much relative to other classes once you add preparations back in.
q 3

Postby Gorgon on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:46 pm

Gorgon

Postby gjaustin on Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:34 pm

gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:57 pm

I'd say you've undervalued the Bloodmage. He still has blood pools, which gives him a considerable amount of end-game damage spiking power. More to the point, he's lost his flavor and has become a 1-trick pony. I'd also say you've overvalued Sorcerer. He still rocks at out at low levels, and I'd say he belongs squarely in the middle of mid-tier, not the top.

Vampire is much better than the current Transmuter. In fact, I don't think he belongs in bottom-tier at all. If you scum for BLUDTUPOWA, he's actually a scary spellcaster. This is because BLUDTUPOWA allows you to convert lifesteal into mana, so killing a popcorn monster is basically a full mana restore for a Vampire. It's hard to get a strong Vampire off the ground and he needs a lot of scumming, but if everything lines up he plays like a high-tier character. This guy could very easily be overbuffed, since his primary issue right now is luck of the draw in getting the right altars/items/glyphs...
Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:25 pm

I tried out Lifesteal + BLUDPOWA. I was getting something like 3 mana back for 25 lifesteal. That's a pretty awful ratio.

You agree that Vampire requires Dracul right? A Dwarf Dracul anything is better than a Dracul Vampire. The Vampire gets 11 Lifesteal for 440 conversion points, while a Dwarf gets 10 damage reduction for 450. Then the Blood Pool healing, Poison/Mana Burn Immunity, and extra health barely make up for the reduced health regen and lack of resists.

Edit: You may be right about the Sorcerer and Bloodmage. But there's a lot of dungeons where the Bloodmage can't use his blood pools.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:50 pm

Darvin

Postby Gorgon on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:00 pm

Gorgon

Postby gjaustin on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:48 pm

gjaustin

Postby q 3 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:02 pm

Well, the problem for the Sorcerer is that his low level performance is more about vanilla tanking than it is about burst damage or insane feats; he can get several full heals in a row at lv 1-2, but he can't take hits any better than a Fighter. Once you get to dungeons where the monster damage multiplier is set high enough, his inability to survive a blow from most higher level monsters renders his healing ability useless. Contrast that with Berserker, Warlord, Rogue, Assassin, Monk, Paladin, and Wizard, who all either have the ability to tank high damage hits or the ability to get high level kills without taking damage.

Also, since post level 10 refreshes continue to require more and more XP, I find that you still generally want to enter the arena in Naga City at around level 9; you only have 90 XP incoming if you're already at level 10, which is barely going to get you two full refreshes.
q 3

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons