[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Dwarf Fortress

Dwarf Fortress

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Postby Darvin on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:16 am

I only find it an issue with level 1 characters, where HP rounding can be a big deal and battles are often are won and lost by a single HP.
Darvin

Postby SnapDragon on Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:50 am

SnapDragon

Postby The Avatar on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:06 am

But then you'd have to complete every quest just to get the Dragon Shield. That's devastating. Now how am I supposed to play a good paladin?

The thing is, no matter how promising the unlock, you will always need a VERY specific strategy to beat vicious. Unless every item appeals to every type of character and is always useful, there will always be reasons to not take certain items. Of course if vicious was reasonable, then I would be fine with unlocking items.

I personally think a vicious nerf should be incoming. Instead of them buffing the dungeons with more magic res. I mean, hard dungeons are soooooo much easier than they used to be. (Anyone remember the old deep swamp? How about 900 hp evolvia with the same 97 damage output.) Now the leap between them is so incredibly huge, that it requires an obscene amount of scumming. People don't like to scum, so they just create profiles that require less scumming. Gating vicious to everything done requirements would just serve to frustrate as you randomize useless gods and items for your specific strategy. As you waste time and money.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:10 am

Strategic unlocks are a symptom, not the problem. There isn't a single thing that you can do on a limited unlock profile that you can't also do on a fully unlocked profile - you just need a lot of luck, or a lot of time to scum.

The problem is poor balance, and pointing out poorly balanced game elements (too strong, too weak, too niche) is one of the main reasons to have a public beta in the first place. It's somewhat frustrating that testing specific combinations requires either a lot of scumming or creating specialized profiles, when in a beta test you really should have more control over what game elements are present in any given playthrough, but we work with what we have.
q 3

Postby The Avatar on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:40 am

YES! I could not agree more with what you just said. So, so true...
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Abraxas on Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:56 am

That which is not dead may eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Abraxas

Postby Darvin on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:00 am

Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:16 am

He doesn't need it, it's just helpful. Very Helpful.

Still, with all the balance and nerfing of late, We'll soon run out of good strategies.

The Avatar

Postby subanark on Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:57 am

Apply the same logic to items as I did with the gods. Every store picks from all sellable items in the game. If it picks an item you haven't unlocked, the shop doesn't appear.

The other option is to allow the player to black list any item they unlock.
subanark

Postby The Avatar on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:54 pm

I think they need God Mode. It would be like wizard mode for Crawl. Spawn any item or god or monster.

The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons