[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Vicious Unlock Help

Vicious Unlock Help

All things Desktop Dungeons

Vicious Unlock Help

Postby Fran on Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:48 pm

I'm just not able to beat any vicious dungeons. The only one I was ever able to beat was Dragon Isle with a Berserker.

Normaly, this wouldn't bother me much as I'm just playing casually when I've got a little free time, but I'd really like to play with the monster races. So after searching the forum for strategies on the Vicious Dungeons that unlock them and failing a couple of times because the game has changed quite a bit since they've been introduced, I'd like to ask for a guide on those unlock-vicious dungeons.

I would be happy to see a list of three classes per dungeon together with race, locker item, gods and general strategy to have a relative easy time. I'm just too dumb to figure that out of my own, so please make it as detailed as possible and foolproof.
I also don't know which vicious dungeon is the easiest at the moment but I haven't had much success at either of them.

Thanks in advance!
Fran

Re: Vicious Unlock Help

Postby Darvin on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:31 pm

Dragon Isles
The Taurog Berserker is your most reliable standby, but other options do exist: Gnomish followers of Jehora Jeheyu. The assassin and warlord are both excellent selections against the Matron. Now that she has magic resistance, the Assassin (who will use a fireball-based strategy) may have additional difficulty, but the Warlord's CYDSTEPP'ing should be unaffected.

Also remember that there is the LEMMISI/WEYTWUT combo. Using LEMMISI in the final subdungeon, you can reveal the Matron's guards. Use WEYTWUT to swap places with the last one of her guards, allowing you to bypass them entirely. The upshot of this is that you avoid fighting six level 9 opponents with nasty status ailments. The downside is that you'll need to pay a total of 16 mana for a round trip to the surface if you need to visit shops or alters.

Naga City
It's all about the deities on the lower floor, bouncing from one to the next and desecrating altars to keep your piety up. You'll need to find a good way to defeat every single type of enemy here, and you'll need to keep BURNDAYRAZ to knock through the final boss's death protection. Caster characters and CYDSTEPP characters are going to have significant trouble with Frank and SMM. Tank characters and CYDSTEPP'ers are going to have trouble with Wall of Goo. Pure casters will have trouble with Ironman, and Tanks will have trouble with Tomithy (and will need to find a way to deal with Bleaty, who isn't very difficult once you can survive a single hit).

The Gnomish Warlord is a solid pick here. The Orc Rogue also works, but you'll need to boost health to get your HP up to very high levels. The Orc Rogue plays best as a hybrid CYDSTEPP'er/tank, and will require careful boon planning to get both resistances and hit points (most likely some combination of GG, JJ, Pactmaker, and Dracul on the surface). You could also try a caster hybrid; I find thieves work quite well even with the potion nerf. Boost your resistances to deal with some enemies and use your spellcasting powers against others.

Vicious Halls of Steel
Good luck buddy.
Darvin

Postby Gorgon on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:43 pm

Gorgon

Postby Fran on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:56 pm

Ok, I see that there is not much sense in trying Naga City with my current knowledge, moreover Halls of Steel.
So lets focus on Dragon Isle for the time being.

I already beat it with the Berserker (therefore I have the dragon shield) so there is the assassin and the warlord, both JJ Gnome.
Now what preperations would you advise to use at the fighters guild and the mage tower?
As far as i understood, you push the warlords MP to 25 such that a single mana potion equals one use of cydstep?
Any map specific things to be careful about until beating the firstborn?

Thanks for the tips Darwin, I appreciate them.
Fran

Postby gjaustin on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:59 pm

gjaustin

Postby gjaustin on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:06 pm

gjaustin

Postby Abraxas on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:10 pm

I've actually been able to clear the vicious Halls of Steel on my first/second try with each of the three mage classes, with essentially no scumming. The new fireball just works very well there with Mystera (well worth the church penalty for prepping her altar).

The strategy is pretty straightforward, grab Flames and Mana Leak, bring the Crystal Ball and fireball everything. The apothecary preparation also helps a lot.
The same strategy also worked pretty well with the Naga City, though I did need to scum for Bludtopowa with the sorcerer.

The Dragon Isles are actually the hardest dungeon for me, and I only managed to get my berserker victory so far. I almost got it with an assassin, so I'm sure that's feasible, but I always seem to do too little damage with a JJ gnome warlord to get anywhere.
That which is not dead may eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Abraxas

Postby Fran on Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:27 pm

Fran

Postby Darvin on Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:12 pm

Now that Avatar's Symbol is nerfed, there really isn't a great Warlord locker item. Totally your pick. For other preps, I'd take Patches, an extra alter (you cannot afford to lose an inventory slot here, so prepping JJ is out of the question), HP->Attack conversion (as you've noticed, you need all the damage you can get), and apothacary. Remember that you're not just using JJ for boost mana, but also to boost health! This allows the Warlord to survive hits from more powerful enemies. With his CYDSTEPP'ing antics, even a single extra blow is a huge bonus.

JJ Gnome Warlord works wonders against Namtar and the Avatar as well, I might add. Remember not to neglect patches. You do need to prep a burn cure potion just in case, but the potential benefit is well worth it. JJ will also usually give you piety for converting him, which is a nice boost when it comes time to free that inventory slot.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:01 pm

Vicious HoS is super easy. Prep Yendor, find the Indomitable and BLUDTUPOWA ASAP, and just fireball him til he dies. Use all monster and potion resources on Blah Blah. Works with Assassin and Wizard, although Bloodmage is the easiest cause he starts with BLUDTUPOWA.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons