New Dwarves v. Old Dwarves, Paladins, and Magic Monsters.

All things Desktop Dungeons

New Dwarves v. Old Dwarves, Paladins, and Magic Monsters.

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:29 pm

I really don't like the new dwarves, and here's why:

1. It kinda kills the races for me. I mean when I first started playing DD, it was nice how the choices were so simple. They were the three main stats: Attack, Mana, and Hp. Then later it's a little more complicated: Base damage, Potions, Exp, but nothing too special. Now for new players, Dwarves hit you from nowhere. It looks simple: Attack, Mana, but then DAMAGE REDUCTION?

2. As for why you changed them, you said dwarves were underused. Personally, if you brought them back now, I'd use them more than humans. Between the ability to get 10 potions (not as a halfling. 4 basic, three potion shops, Keg of Health), the new fire heart, and, most of all, Lifesteal, I'd give them more than enough use. There are a tone of good % based sources now, as mentioned above, so I would love to see them back.

As for Paladins, I don't think I have ever seen a bigger nerf. This class fell from God tier to unusable tier. So then how do we change the ability? Here's one interesting suggestion: You cannot switch gods, gain double piety, lose double piety. That makes the stingy gods less stingy, but more punishing, and the abundant gods giving out boatloads, as long as you follow their rules.

Okay, what's with all the magic attack cropping up? Are they trying to nerf the monk and buff the berserker? The thing is, sometimes, it doesn't make sense. Animated Armors, for example. What is so magical about a blade slashing you? Undead would make more sense than magic damage. And the other two, frozen trolls, and vamps, are serious stretches. So the Vampire is choosing to hurl a fireball instead of suck your blood? I guess, for frozen trolls, being hit by a frozen fist counts as magic? If you want to give someone magic, make it shades and wraiths. At least that would make some more sense.

Anyways, these are just my thoughts, feel free to post yours.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Re: New Dwarves v. Old Dwarves, Paladins, and Magic Monsters

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:54 pm

The vampires are magical because their sparkles are so shiny and your hero is like "AAAAA"

Well I'm not being serious but that's as good a reason as any.
TigerKnee

Postby Gorgon on Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:45 pm

In my opinion, the dwarf, halfling and gnome changes were completely unnecessary. Halflings and gnomes were losing their strength with the implementation of Apothecary, and dwarves are worse than they used to be...
Gorgon

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:01 pm

Yes! I agree totally!!!!!!
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby Ara on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:12 pm

They are alpha vampires! Too bad they don't degenerate after each fireball. :P
Anyway, the new Binlor makes it a little better.

If "monotheism" is too powerful, make it different like "gods favor" where all gods want the paladin as their champion: Smaller conversion threshold (30 instead of 50) and/or halved penalties.

Damage reduction would be more interesting if it was applied after resists. But then it would be too good for monk/paladin/gorgon/berserker. I think dwarves need to increase resists but that resists should use a more elaborate formula: some sort of logarithmic rating to get more resists when you're low, and less when you already have some.
Ara

Postby TigerKnee on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:19 pm

I did suggest that in the previous topic to have "reverse scaling" resistances. I don't know whether they'll go for it. I got a feeling Monkgate scandal made them really scared of the mechanic.
TigerKnee

Postby valcamo on Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:29 pm

I agree. There is little reason to choose any of those races.

Why not change the kind of potion awarded from conversions?

- Gnomes: one Schadenfreude potion every 100 cp
- Halflings: one Reflex potion every 100 cp
valcamo

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:15 pm

Cause then you infringe on Tikki Tooki, and have broken Paladins/Warlords.

I don't think any of the races should be changed, except maybe a 5 or so CP reduction on elves. I really like the simplicity of things with the 3 basic stats, potions, and exp. I want it reverted.

The Avatar

Postby harfatum on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:30 pm

Sometimes I want more health. Dwarves with DR are good for XP catapulting, but goblins already convert CP to XP without having to work for it.
Have a mug of tea.
harfatum

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:19 pm

I ALWAYS want more health. Between Fire Hearts, potions, and Blood Pools, Health is one of the most in demand resources for me, at least.

The Avatar

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons