Every denizen of the dungeon in Desktop Dungeons, including the player and dungeon monsters, has a level represented by the small number in its lower-right corner. A units level is a rough indication of its strength relative to the player and other monsters. Levels range from 1 through to 10, with strength increasing roughly linearly up to 9. Level 10 enemies are bosses.
>== Player Levels ==
The player starts at level 1, with a base HP of 10, and base Damage of 5. The player character gains 5 base damage and 10 base HP for every additional level.
The base stats for basic enemies as they level up are as follows:
- Base health is (n + 3)^2 - 10 where n is the monster's level.
- Base attack is (n + 3) × (n + 4) / 2 - 3 where n is the monster's level.
|Level||Base Attack||Base Health|
Different enemies will have different percentages of these base stats. Bosses have entirely different stat ratios to their lower level counterparts. Furthermore, Enemy Attack and Health stats before your first 'win' are dropped to 80% of normal, while Ranked games have the Attack and Health stats increased to 120% of normal.
Gaining Levels and Bonus Experience
The player character has the ability to increase his level by gaining experience. Experience is gained by defeating monsters in combat. Unless modified by class, race, deity or item bonuses, experience is gained as follows:
- Experience equal to the defeated monster's level
- Bonus experience for monsters of a higher level to the player, calculated as:
- n × (n + 1) where n is the difference between the player's level and the monster's level.
|Difference between levels||Bonus experience|
- The player character gains 5 base damage and 10 base HP for every level achieved.
Required experience per level
|To reach level||Experience required||Total required|