Alpha:New Players Guide
Object of the Game
- Your object is to kill the level 10 "boss monster" in the dungeon.
- You start at level 1, and will increase in level as you gain experience, which you get for killing monsters in the dungeon.
- Each time you gain a new level, your attack damage and hit points increase.
- A combat exchange happens whenever the hero bumps into a monster.
- The higher level combatant strikes first. If the hero and monster are same level, then the monster goes first.
- The first attacker deals damage to the opponent equal to its attack power.
- The second attacker, if still alive, then deals damage to the opponent equal to its attack power.
Mana and Spells
- Mana is used for casting spells. You start with no spells, and must find the spell glyphs in the dungeon.
- In order to learn a spell after you've found it, you must click it in the "on ground" slot, and it will appear in your spell slots.
- Casting a spell on a monster does NOT trigger a combat exchange.
- Glyphs that aren't very useful to you should be converted by dragging them into the teal-and-red conversion icon. This will give you a benefit depending upon your race. Humans get more attack power, for example.
Healing and Restoring Mana
- As you explore the dungeon, you will restore depleted hit points and mana. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. The unexplored dungeon is a scarce resource that heals you and restores your mana pool. Use it wisely.
- For every square of the dungeon you explore, you recover 1 mana point, and health equal to your level.
- As you explore the dungeon, wounded monsters heal up.
- When you are poisoned, you will not gain health from the darkness. Poison can be cured by drinking a health potion, casting a healing spell, or by gaining a level.
- When you suffer from mana burn, you will not gain man from the darkness. Mana burn can be cured by drinking a mana potion, or by gaining a level.
Gold and Items
- You gain gold by finding it in piles in the dungeon.
- Gold is persistent from one character to the next. However much gold your last character ended up with is how much your next character will start with.
- There is a cap on how much gold you can have.
- There are stores in the dungeon which sell items for gold. These items disappear when the character is done with the dungeon.
A fresh start win video. This player has nothing unlocked and wins a regular game as a Human Fighter. Unfortunately it doesn't feature any commentary and may be hard to follow for a new player.
- Always fight the highest level monster you can defeat. This requires doing some quick math to determine how the combat will play out before you engage and realize you're in over your head.
- Exploring the dungeon is the main way you will regain health and mana, but it is a limited resource.
- Keep in mind that wounded monsters gradually heal as you explore the dungeon. You can't just smack a monster, run and heal, and repeat.
- Use your level ups for all they are worth, they cure bad status and return you to full HP / MP, so don't be afraid of being poisoned / manaburned by a monster you'll level up after killing
- The first-strike spell is useful for finishing a monster off. It gets no retaliation shot if you kill it.
- The fireball spell is useful for softening monsters up before combat
- Lose gracefully :) sometimes the random number generator creates an impossible situation such as a room with all exits blocked by level 3 and higher monsters and no means of defeating any of them. Retire and try again!
- When you realize you can't possibly beat the boss, make sure to grab the loot before you retire. Gold carries over between games, so you can at least finance the next expedition.
- The second "win" always seems the hardest. Before your first "win", enemies only have 80% of the normal HP and Attack, and you'll now have unlocked the first special monster, and will likely have trouble adapting to the new enemy's ability (poison, manaburn etc.) Just remember that the game (at the moment) is designed to ease you into the more complex mechanics.