BLUDTOPOWA is a rather unique glyph, as it is the only glyph in the game with no manacosts. Instead, it replenishes the players mana at the expense of his health and blackspace. This makes it naturally a good fit for dedicated spellcasters, but a rather poor find for hybrid or physical-oriented builds.
Unlocking the glyph
BlUDTUPOWA is unlocked along with the Bloodmage.
BLUDTOPOWA is a very handy glyph for any character based around spellcasting. Dedicated spellcasters usually focus on increasing their mana or glyph effectiveness, so they often neglect their attack damage. This usually results in rather ineffective strikes. BLUDTOPOWA allows them to use their health more efficiently. Naturally, BLUDTOPOWA won't work with hybrid-builds. Taking damage means you'll have less health to use for BLUDTOPOWA and vice-versa, so the two concepts are mutually exclusive.
As expected, the Bloodmage excels at using his signature glyph. Their sanguine trait allows them to use the glyph more often than other classes during combat, especially if they have quaffed a manapotion or two. A well built bloodmage can release an amazing amount of fireballs before going out of breath and is often able to kill monsters with magic alone. They also have to rely on it to compensate for their low maximum mana.
The Assassin is another class that can get much mileage out of this glyph, especially if he is played as an elf. Since they start with APHEELSIK and can always obtain BURNDAYRAZ, they can easily have one of the most potent glyph combinations in the game if they happen to find BLUDTOPOWA. The player simply poisons a monster and uses BLUDTOPOWA to fuel BURNDAYRAZ. Once health and mana are depleted, the player simply explores until he has to recast APHEELSIK again - at which point he simply repeats the cycle. This combo allows to continously damage an enemy without him retaliating or regenerating, so it can bring down even enemys of a high level.
A rather unexpected class that benefits from the glyph is the Monk. Monks deal very low damage, and BURNDAYRAZ is a feasible way to bypass that restriction. His fast health regeneration in combination with burning allows him to effectively regenfight their enemys via magic, ignoring any physical resistances.
BLUDTOPOWA loses much of its strength once the endgame is reached. If there is no longer any black space availabe, the glyph will only replenish 1 mana, but still cost health. Unless the player is very desperate to squeeze out a few manapoints , it's better to convert the glyph.
- The Sorcerer is allergic to this glyph - he needs more health than every other class to use it, due to his class traits.
- BLUDTUPOWA always reveals tiles close to the player. This can be exploited by assasins who need to get their first strike, Bloodmages who want to avoid stepping on their Bloodpools, or to simply check what lies behind a wall.
- BLUDTUPOWA has an interesting synergy with death protection effects such as CYDSTEPP. If your next attack will leave you 'Barely Alive' and you don't have a Schadenfreude Potion, any hitpoints you have are irrelevant, so you may as well convert them into mana.
- Mystera Annur won't reward any piety for using this glyph, but Taurog will count it as a normal spellcast.
- Glowing Guardian punishes the player for using this glyph, but grants extra-piety for converting it.