BLUDTOPOWA is a rather unique glyph, as it is the only glyph in the game with no manacosts. Instead, it replenishes the players mana at the expense of his health and blackspace. This makes it naturally a good fit for dedicated spellcasters, but a rather poor find for hybrid or physical-oriented builds.
The uncovered tiles are the 3 closest tiles to the player. The distance is the number of tile you would need to move through without moving diagonally (It does of course not take obstacles into account). Knowing which tiles will be uncovered can be of some use (see hints)
Unlocking the glyph
BLUDTUPOWA is unlocked along with the Bloodmage.
BLUDTOPOWA is a very handy glyph for any character based around spellcasting. Dedicated spellcasters usually focus on increasing their mana or glyph effectiveness, so they often neglect their attack damage. This usually results in rather ineffective strikes. BLUDTOPOWA allows them to use their health more efficiently. Naturally, BLUDTOPOWA won't work with hybrid-builds. Taking damage means you'll have less health to use for BLUDTOPOWA and vice-versa, so the two concepts are mutually exclusive.
As expected, the Bloodmage excels at using his signature glyph. Their sanguine trait allows them to use the glyph more often than other classes during combat, especially if they have quaffed a mana potion or two. A well built bloodmage can release an amazing amount of fireballs before going out of breath and is often able to kill monsters with magic alone. They also have to rely on it to compensate for their low maximum mana.
The Assassin is another class that can get much mileage out of this glyph, especially if he is played as an elf. Since they start with APHEELSIK and can always obtain BURNDAYRAZ, they can easily have one of the most potent glyph combinations in the game if they happen to find BLUDTOPOWA. The player simply poisons a monster and uses BLUDTOPOWA to fuel BURNDAYRAZ. Once health and mana are depleted, the player simply explores until he has to recast APHEELSIK again - at which point he simply repeats the cycle. This combo allows to continuously damage an enemy without him retaliating or regenerating, so it can bring down even enemies of a high level.
A rather unexpected class that benefits from the glyph is the Monk. Monks deal very low damage, and BURNDAYRAZ is a feasible way to bypass that restriction. His fast health regeneration in combination with burning allows him to effectively regenfight enemies via magic, ignoring any physical resistances.
BLUDTOPOWA loses much of its strength once the endgame is reached. If there is no longer any black space available, the glyph will only replenish 1 mana, but still cost health. Unless the player is very desperate to squeeze out a few manapoints , it's better to convert the glyph.
- The Sorcerer is allergic to this glyph - it costs 4 more health than every other class to use it, due to his class traits. (3 per level + 4). Prior to this change, a 1st level Sorcerer could cast indefinitely by healing from casting spells than using BLUDTUPOWA to recover mana.
- Since it doesn't have a mana cost, BLUDTUPOWA is unaffected by the Mystic Balance boon of Mystera Annur
- BLUDTUPOWA always reveals the closest tiles to the player, without healing the monsters. This can be exploited by assasins who need to get their first strike, Bloodmages who want to avoid stepping on their Bloodpools, or to simply check what lies behind a wall.
- For the same reason, it can also be of some use to reveal again a monster which has escaped in dark space (due to its Blinks or Cowardly traits, or because you Knockbacked it). This is specially true when the monster has Fast regen or Life steal, as it won't trigger these effects.
- BLUDTUPOWA has an interesting synergy with death protection effects such as CYDSTEPP. If your next attack will leave you 'Barely Alive' and you don't have a Schadenfreude Potion, any hitpoints you have are irrelevant, so you may as well convert them into mana.
- Mystera Annur won't reward any piety for using this glyph, but Taurog will count it as a normal spellcast.
- Glowing Guardian punishes the player for using this glyph, but grants extra-piety for converting it.
- BLUDTUPOWA is an excellent find for the File:Human Goatperson.png Goatperson. As it reveals 3 tiles, but only costs 1 food, it allows you to effectively explore at a reduced cost.