APHEELSIK is the poison glyph. On cast, it poisons an enemy, preventing it from regenerating 10 health per playerlevel. when uncovering tiles. Poison automatically expires after the player has explored the displayed amount of tiles; note that monster regeneration scales with their level, so poison generally lasts shorter on high level monsters.
Unlocking the glyph
APHEELSIK is unlocked along with the Assassin.
APHEELSIK is commonly used to slowly whittle away stronger monsters by allowing the adventurer to regenerate their health and mana while the target is poisoned. This allows you to tackle foes that would normaly be too tough to fight, by simply outhealing their attacks while dealing continiously damage to them. Naturally, this only works if the player is able to regenerate enough Health and Mana to keep on fighting.
This glyph is a godsend for dedicated regenfighters, since it allows them to conserve more Blackspace and regenfight more efficiently.
APHEELSIK generally works well with regenfighting; especially with items like Whurrgarbl, the Venom Dagger, or anything that grants you resistances.
Due to needing mana, it can be difficult to combine this glyph effectively with offensive spellcasting. However, one particular awesome combo is APHEELSIK, BLUDTUPOWA and BURNDAYRAZ . First, the player has to poison a monster, than he throws fireballs and uses BLUDTUPOWA. After Health and Mana are depeleted, the player simply explores until the poison breaks and repeats the process. Even without B2P, casting Burndayraz can be a good idea since Burning reduces regeneration by 1, prolonging the duration for a bit.
The APHEELSIK glyph is one of a select few that becomes useless at a certain point. Once the dungeon is explored, there is no more regeneration to be had either for the player or monsters, making this glyph completely pointless. This makes the glyph a great candidate for conversion if you need to free up inventory space towards the end of the dungeon; it's going to be completely useless before long anyways. On the other hand, it can be a good idea to leave sub-dungeons completely unexplored when using APHEELSIK, saving some extra exploration space for when it counts the most. Assasins who rely on physical attacks might want to keep it for a final cast on the boss to exploit their bonus damage.
Hints & Trivia
- Poison is largely worthless against monsters with debuffs, such as weakening, corrosion, mana burn, and poison. However, if you have the HALPMEH glyph you can cure poison.
- Poison is only half as effective against Monsters with Fast Regen.
- Magic resistance reduces the effectivenes of the glyph. For example, a monster with 50% magic resistance will only be poisoned for half the tiles.
- The Glowing_Guardian punishes you if you use this glyph, but grants you extra-piety for converting it.
- Player-related poison used to have an unlimited duration, but broke on attack. This led to lv 1 chracters fireballing down bosses.