There are many different monster types you will encounter throughout Desktop Dungeons. Each have different stats and traits, and thus present a specific challenge to the player.
List of Monsters
Common monsters found in just about any dungeon.
|Bandit||70%||100%||Cursed||Any||Upgrade Thief Den to Lvl 3|
|Dragon Spawn||100%||125%||Magical attack||Any||Upgrade Church to Lvl 3|
|Goat||100%||90%||Magic resist 25%||Any||Upgrade Mage Tower to Lvl 2|
|Golem||100%||100%||Magic resist 50%||Any||Upgrade Mage Tower to Lvl 3|
|Goo Blob||100%||100%||Physical resist 50%||Any||Upgrade Guild to Lvl 3|
|Gorgon||100%||90%||First Strike, Death-gaze 50%||Any||Upgrade Thief Den to Lvl 2|
|Serpent||100%||100%||Poisonous||Any||Upgrade Church to Lvl 2|
|Wraith||100%||75%||Undead, Mana Burn, Magical attack, Physical resist 30%||Any||Upgrade Guild to Lvl 2|
Stronger monsters found as you venture further outside the kingdom. This list does not include any variety of Plant.
Monster stats, level, type and dungeon difficulty
Basically the monster have a range of abilities and stats, and each type present a unique difficulty to the player. Also, the higher their level, the stronger they are.
Base stats and level
For every monster, two formulas to determine the base stats depending on the level. Then, depending on the monster type, modifiers are applied :
- for base hp, you use (n(n+6)-1), where n is the monsters level,
- for base attack, you use (n*(n+5))/2, where n is the monsters level.
The monsters base stat depending on the level are shown below :
|Level||Base Attack||Base Health|
Monster type modifiers and traits
After these base stats have been calculated, modifiers and traits are applied. So each monster type present a unique difficulty to the player :
- Each monster type has an attack and hp modifiers, which indicates what percent of the base number provided below they have. For example, Bandits have 100% hp and 70% attack. Therefore a level 3 Bandit would do 8 damage and have 26 hp.
- They also receive traits, which give them special abilities (such as Curse Bearer for the bandit, which will add one layer of Cursed to the player every time he gets hit by the Bandit, or when he kills it)
However, note that bosses don't follow the same progression as other monsters : they usually are stronger (better stats, and different traits) than what would a regular level 10 monster have.
Monster stats and dungeon level
The difficulty level of the dungeon you are in also affects monster stats :
- Monsters in easy dungeons have 90% of way they would normally have,
- monsters in Normal dungeons have their normal stats,
- monsters in hard dungeons have 120% of what they would normally have,
- and monsters in vicious dungeons have 133% of what they would normally have.
Distribution and level
Not counting bosses and special uniques, each dungeon contains 38 monsters, with the following level distribution