[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Vegetarian Vampire Solver

Vegetarian Vampire Solver

All things Desktop Dungeons

Vegetarian Vampire Solver

Postby AvovA17 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi,

I was really annoyed every time I got Vegetarian Vampire sub, so I wrote a solver for it.
As I was writing it (thanks to ~'(+^+)'~ for pointing out some of my omissions), I realized there are a lot more possible moves than I coded originally, so I will have to add support for those. Originally I assumed you could just cut the plants, but you could not move them or break the walls.

In any case, it is already usable. The project is here:

https://github.com/mmavova/Vegetarian_Vampire

I already added support for ENDISWAL (in an ugly way, for now).
On my laptop it solves 50 random puzzles (with/without ENDISWAL) in 17 seconds.

I am not a programmer, so any critique of the code is welcome :). I did not really have the time yet to go through the code and comb it. I picked Python cause I think more people know it, and it should be easy to create a web version later.

I am trying to think of all the possible other "moves" or game features that can increase the number of solutions.
If I missed any, please let me know.
Here is my list:
* ENDISWAL
* PISORFing the vampire
* WEYTWUT the vampire
* WONAFYT the vampire
* pushing the plants as a half-dragon or as a hero with knockback and consecrated strike
* transmutation seal
* you can also break a wall behind the vampire (transmutation seal), and then move him via knockback and finally break more walls this way.
* patches the teddy technically could teleport you god knows where (kill the vampire or use Yendor/Cracked Amulet), but it is probably unimportant.
* Wicked Guitar can make the Vampire more durable. Wand of Binding can help to make the Vampire even stronger.
* I assume Mass09 Ledger is useless in this sub. Did not really try.
* Titan Guitar/prepping Taurog also can be used to move the Vampire, I suppose.
* I think you cannot get wall crunchers into this sub.
Last edited by AvovA17 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AvovA17

Re: Vegetarian Vampire Solver

Postby AvovA17 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:05 pm

I will add a better interface later, and maybe even make a web version, so that anybody can run it without installing python.
AvovA17

Postby Unidentified Tower on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:25 pm

Oh my god this is amazing. Every time I run into this sub I pull open the Wiki page and a Notepad file and spend ten minutes figuring out what I can do. A solver for it is brilliant.

I'd even be happy with one that didn't take positioning into account at all, and just told you what sets of recipes you could get from an unordered collection of the 25 plants. Rarely do the numbers work out in a way that lets you make 5 complete recipes, and if you can only make 3-4, being able to garden away five plants at the start usually gives you access to whatever you need; I've rarely found positioning to be my limiting factor.

Mass09 should be useful in the same sense that WONAFYT is useful, but it would only really come up if you prepped it from your locker, since you can't get both subdungeons at once.
Unidentified Tower

Postby AvovA17 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:48 pm

AvovA17

Postby Unidentified Tower on Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:02 pm

Unidentified Tower

Postby Spleen on Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:13 am

1 - Thank you for freeing my soul from this subdungeon. I always just take the sub-optimal option.
2 - I also had no idea that Mass09 blinked everything, and now realise I also don't know if it works on plants - although, I assume the vegetarian's prey don't count as plants. The other, other, other meat.
Spleen

Postby srid on Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:21 am

For info, Mass09's Ledger doesn't work in subdungeons, which is a blessing for us modders considering some incoming EE Southern dungeons.
But it does work on plants, and it is very funny to try it out in Ick Swamp.
Finally I'm not 100% sure if the Vegetarian Vampire's blood substitutes are plants or not. I guess it doesn't really matter aside from the EM's point of view. Does she punish down there?
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
srid

Postby shade_of_ox on Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:39 am

EM doesn't like when you kill the plants in that subdungeon. I think they're functionally plants.
shade_of_ox

Postby zayyeh on Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:02 pm

Avova: This is awesome. Now if only you could dedicate some time to find optimal kill-chain given leveling mechanics. Probably, later this code can be enhanced with additional information like glyphs, enemy traits, etc.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Download over at ddmod.weebly.com.
zayyeh

Postby AvovA17 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:06 pm

AvovA17

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons