Bring on the Pretty

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Bring on the Pretty

Postby Lujo on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:06 pm

Blovski wrote:I've only just got hold of them - think they'd be great on Ick/for Western Forest spellcaster. Might even be helpful on Demonic Library, come to think of it.

Demonic Library? Avatar still spawns plants?

And they're really good on Ick, Western Jungle and Rock Garden (can they spawn in BM silver?). Too good in fact, because right now, if your inventory is allready filled up (not hard to achieve), they don't in fact have a downside - you just have to click on a lot of plants.

Quick, all you plant haters, exploit till they fix!
Lujo

Postby Blovski on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:18 pm

Lujo wrote:
Blovski wrote:I've only just got hold of them - think they'd be great on Ick/for Western Forest spellcaster. Might even be helpful on Demonic Library, come to think of it.

Demonic Library? Avatar still spawns plants?

And they're really good on Ick, Western Jungle and Rock Garden (can they spawn in BM silver?). Too good in fact, because right now, if your inventory is allready filled up (not hard to achieve), they don't in fact have a downside - you just have to click on a lot of plants.

Quick, all you plant haters, exploit till they fix!

Been ages since I played DL so I dunno. Well, having to keep your inventory stacked out is a pain, and theyre easy to misclick with. And for 20-whatever gold/your locker slot, the lack of a downside is fine by me : )
Blovski

Postby Lujo on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:17 pm

Well true, they might even be working as intended.

Anyway, hit Ick, it's now a non-issue, allthough it seemed pretty easy to me before. Other people were complaining, so they sort of make sense, except they really work too well right now as far as I'm, subjectively, concerned. Still, having vetoed the +10 HP pendant, I'm glad they're there, small and all that...
Lujo

Postby Blovski on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:41 pm

Well, maybe four dungeons where they're venturing from quite to very useful, right? And a subdungeon or two, but that's not very reliable. Doesn't seem too powerful to me: I mean, for that prep slot or 25ish gold you could have a crystal ball or Dwarven Gauntlets or something, so you're sacrificing quite a lot of raw power as well as free inventory use for maneouvreability (I hate that word... no clue if I know how to spell it).

I mean, I didn't have a problem personally with Ick before but it's a nice interaction.
Blovski

Postby Blovski on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:25 pm

Gnome Warlord Trisword MA Naga City. Kapow.

I ended up going down to the wire and buying out the bottom because of bad play (spending death protections before using up all my health etc) but still... got Elven Boots from an elite items prep, which was lucky, and didn't manage to leverage Refreshment at all. If anything, the biggest problem with that map for a gnomelord is topside... horrible dearth of acceptable targets. I really like the reduced potion number... actually means a trade-off or two now. Incidentally, I used alchemists pact to level a lot below. No clue if it matches up to the crystal ball of death. Sooo... it works OKish for them. Halfling priests seem like the second most obvious candidate...
Blovski

Postby Blovski on Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:37 am

And straight up crushed DL with that... tons of resources left, grabbed unstoppable even with those cultists and demonic armour afterwards - I swear the topside bosses used to have twice that much health. Took out a boss at level 4 without using potions. Anyway, that dungeon's much improved and much easier now. Saved up Whupaz, Reflex, Dodge for avatar. Still had reflex and dodge afterwards : p

Oooh Avatar's Codex is now a thing I have : ) looks like a beast.

Anyway, even going for +mana instead of +attack (played conservative because elven boots only almost always turn up with elite items prep :p), new trisword was still contributing a healthy portion of my damage when it counted. Dunno if that's just a comment on warlords being better than I remembered them being but I think gnomes are really fine atm with the new trisword, which is none too shabby itself (the 60% power differential on the fine sword well worth it).
Blovski

Postby The Avatar on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:49 am

Warlords happen to be the best class for DL, which was nerfed so the top floor guys have less hp. Good job though. The codex is a cool item.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:25 am

The Avatar wrote:Warlords happen to be the best class for DL, which was nerfed so the top floor guys have less hp. Good job though. The codex is a cool item.

Ever since the CYDSTEPP nerf to which the Warlord was exempted, he's been the most reliable vicious-difficulty class. Demon Library is the most extreme in that regard, forcing low-level kills of extremely powerful opponents. It's what the Warlord was built for.
Darvin

Postby Blovski on Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:39 am

Darvin wrote:
The Avatar wrote:Warlords happen to be the best class for DL, which was nerfed so the top floor guys have less hp. Good job though. The codex is a cool item.

Ever since the CYDSTEPP nerf to which the Warlord was exempted, he's been the most reliable vicious-difficulty class. Demon Library is the most extreme in that regard, forcing low-level kills of extremely powerful opponents. It's what the Warlord was built for.

Yeah, was thinking that as I went through. Haven't played warlords in ages or DL in ages (I did as a vamp the week before they halved all the bosses' health... that probably overwhelmed me too much to try it again), though... didn't know that :p

Just doing a sort of can-it-work-alright test for a best-case trisworder in case people go against it just because it's not the old ridiculous one.
Blovski

Postby Lujo on Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:48 am

Blovski wrote:Well, maybe four dungeons where they're venturing from quite to very useful, right? And a subdungeon or two, but that's not very reliable. Doesn't seem too powerful to me: I mean, for that prep slot or 25ish gold you could have a crystal ball or Dwarven Gauntlets or something, so you're sacrificing quite a lot of raw power as well as free inventory use for maneouvreability (I hate that word... no clue if I know how to spell it).

I mean, I didn't have a problem personally with Ick before but it's a nice interaction.

I think they, intentionally or unintentionaly, made an item that works better as a lockered thing than a purchase. The shears are phenomenal with transmutation seal - you don't want compression with them because you want your inventory clogged up so you can use them for no downside (if that part was intentional). They're also small so you don't waste space on your prepped item. They give you 10 health which is a huge boost at lvl1. They have an effect that's litteraly gamechanging on several maps to allow you to try them. Then they cost 28 gold, yet can completely lose any functional point by some moment in a run and become appealing conversion fodder with their huge 70 CP. Then you transmute them for big benefits, and if you've been careful lose a few small item slots to plant matter. It's a terrific item.

Except it's not in my locker, because what's in there isn't mandated by power - grabbing these to locker them is easier than 5 other things, which means I only have 3 locker slots. So they'll have to wait untill I'm done experimenting with the keg of health, trisword and the crystal ball, which will probably be a while. Which is a shame, I'd locker them in an instand otherwise (and did, but took them out for the keg, because I'm more interested in experimenting with potion laden dwarves ATM).

Darvin wrote:Ever since the CYDSTEPP nerf to which the Warlord was exempted, he's been the most reliable vicious-difficulty class.

There are other words for what he is. I was 100% sure that the trisword nerf woudln't affect him much because I haven't infact been using the Trisword with him at all. Just about all of my casual "warlords could take a nerf and not notice" remarks everywhere could've read "a triswordless Warlord could take a nerf and not notice". In fact, he was the one guy I was sure I didn't need a trisword on in pretty much any circumstances. It's also telling that the few times I played him in formats other than "PQI Dwarf Warmonger Warlord" were of the "I don't have the time to try doing the vicious CO anymore, I think I'll just warlord it" kind. It never failed.
Lujo

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons