Anyone else think the beta is too hard?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Anyone else think the beta is too hard?

Postby bkteer on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:20 am

can't help you with rock garden cause i only won it using a dwarven rouge when GG was broken.

Creeplight ruins is surprisingly easy with a taurog human priest.
For havendale bridge try a dwarven rouge that worships taurog.

Although i kinda agree, GG right now is pointless to worship. The irritating thing about him is that Sanctify is worthless by being a one hit thing. Sure you get 5 additional piety when you kill a lower level mob, but half the time when fighting the higher low level mobs, you actually have to cast sanctify twice which negates the additional piety you get. That and coupled with a whooping 20 piety for protection makes it such that you either give up 2 glyphs or 4 potions for hp and mana.
Humility is still just as good for making you slightly overleveled but that's about it. The rest of his boons are too expensive to be piety efficient and his penalties are too steep.
bkteer

Postby bkteer on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:31 am

K currently i have misgivings about the sludge mines.

The RNG factor of the mines are too random and it really results in having to retire more often than not. Because of the way the dungeon is set up, you are unsure of where the low level monsters are and may use a bomb on a wall which leads to higher level monsters. At the same time, because bombs are only dropped by monsters, it results in you constantly being trapped, unable to kill a higher level monster that has a bomb and as a result being unable to progress in the level.
bkteer

Postby TigerKnee on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:55 am

Herborist wrote:As for the Gods: I don't use GG because he will steal all of my items if I use a potion

First off, he doesn't steal all your items unless you don't have enough piety for his penalty (10 piety). If you use a potion while above 10 piety, you'll just get that deducted.

Secondly, why are you using potions while worshipping GG? If you sacrifice a potion, you get 10 piety points. GG has a repeatable boon costing 20 that heals 50% health and mana. Using 2 potions will give you like 33% in both health/mana or 66% in one category, so in general you're coming out ahead by using his boon instead of potions.

Not to mention sacrificing enough potions will probably give you extra conversion points in addition to piety!

I do believe Tikki Tokki is a bit weak now but for the rest of the gods, I got a feeling you aren't playing them correctly.

Creeplight ruins: Start fighting the boss sometime BEFORE you finish exploring the dungeon. You want to be able to regen to full between each boss. The best class is PROBABLY priest because two of his forms are undead.

Havendale bridge: I almost did this with a priest so I think it could work, although my browser crashed.

However, I think the best choice here is a monk. Just picking up 3 of those necklace things the imps drop will max your magic resistance, which lets you take like 3 hits from the boss without croaking and lets you use potions (most other class will die in 1 hit or come close to that.) If you leave enough tiles to regenerate you can outslug the guy.

Try to kill the troll instead of paying if you can. He drops an item that lets you convert it for 3 bonus boost, which is pretty nuts.
TigerKnee

Postby Herborist on Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:11 am

TigerKnee wrote:
Herborist wrote:As for the Gods: I don't use GG because he will steal all of my items if I use a potion

First off, he doesn't steal all your items unless you don't have enough piety for his penalty (10 piety). If you use a potion while above 10 piety, you'll just get that deducted.

Secondly, why are you using potions while worshipping GG? If you sacrifice a potion, you get 10 piety points. GG has a repeatable boon costing 20 that heals 50% health and mana. Using 2 potions will give you like 33% in both health/mana or 66% in one category, so in general you're coming out ahead by using his boon instead of potions.

Not to mention sacrificing enough potions will probably give you extra conversion points in addition to piety!

I do believe Tikki Tokki is a bit weak now but for the rest of the gods, I got a feeling you aren't playing them correctly.

Creeplight ruins: Start fighting the boss sometime BEFORE you finish exploring the dungeon. You want to be able to regen to full between each boss. The best class is PROBABLY priest because two of his forms are undead.

Havendale bridge: I almost did this with a priest so I think it could work, although my browser crashed.

However, I think the best choice here is a monk. Just picking up 3 of those necklace things the imps drop will max your magic resistance, which lets you take like 3 hits from the boss without croaking and lets you use potions (most other class will die in 1 hit or come close to that.) If you leave enough tiles to regenerate you can outslug the guy.

Try to kill the troll instead of paying if you can. He drops an item that lets you convert it for 3 bonus boost, which is pretty nuts.

I will admit that I've shied away from using GG because of his various restrictions. I'll look into it.

Unfortunately, I'm far too familiar with all three dungeons, and I've tried almost every variation so far. I guess I'll have to keep plugging away at the generic dungeon to save up for more upgrades...
Herborist

Postby AdmiralDan on Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:08 pm

TigerKnee wrote:Secondly, why are you using potions while worshipping GG? If you sacrifice a potion, you get 10 piety points. GG has a repeatable boon costing 20 that heals 50% health and mana. Using 2 potions will give you like 33% in both health/mana or 66% in one category, so in general you're coming out ahead by using his boon instead of potions.

Its 5, not 10.
AdmiralDan

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons