One for the beginners

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: One for the beginners

Postby Malow on Fri May 04, 2012 6:07 pm

You are keeping your overheal HP when you level up? Not me. And I think it would be overpowered because it would allow massive amounts of HP by the time you become lvl 10.
Malow

Postby Darvin on Fri May 04, 2012 6:13 pm

No, I'm talking hypothetically if that were to change. To be clear, overheal isn't maintained on level-up.

And yes, you could potentially take overheal between levels, but I fail to see how that's an issue. You can't overheal above 150% of your max health so you can't build up very far, and if you have overheal at the time of level-up you're not gaining the normal benefit of a full heal. I really don't see how you think it'd be overpowered to maintain overheal on level-up. Heck, granting maximum overheal on level-up is a Pact offered by the Pactmaker for only 10 piety a pop.
Darvin

Postby Malow on Fri May 04, 2012 6:19 pm

Well considering I unlocked the Vampire yesterday, never really played with life setal, and never took overheal with the pact master, I barely knew the rules of overheal :P

So I didn't know 150% of your HP was the max. Sorry about that!
Malow

Postby Darvin on Fri May 04, 2012 6:38 pm

So you never used Blood Hunger with Dracul or the Vampire Sword? Probably should indicate that these are on the underpowered side if they aren't being used period. I know I barely use them at all, and mostly for piety from Dracul when I do.
Darvin

Postby Malow on Fri May 04, 2012 6:45 pm

Nope, never used Blood Hunger. I always thought that all other boons were better, but I might have been mistaken. But then again, life steal was a concept I barely knew about.

1 level of life steal is like 1 DR per level, applied after you attack. Might be interresting with a rogue + Vampire Sword + 2x Blood Hunger + Plate Armor. at lvl 10, it's 50 DR.
Malow

Postby gjaustin on Fri May 04, 2012 6:46 pm

Darvin wrote:So you never used Blood Hunger with Dracul or the Vampire Sword? Probably should indicate that these are on the underpowered side if they aren't being used period. I know I barely use them at all, and mostly for piety from Dracul when I do.

I'll grab Vampiric Blade on a Monk, Berserker, or anyone else stacking resists.

As for Plate Armor vs Dragon Shield, you make a good point. It'll depend on your dungeon, so I think keeping both around is worth it.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Fri May 04, 2012 6:52 pm

Vampiric Blade on a Monk sounds great, but resist stackers run away screaming from Blood Hunger.
Darvin

Postby Malow on Fri May 04, 2012 6:57 pm

Does anyone else, when seeing this: Image, automatically tells himself "100 CONVERSION POINTS!!" ?

Or am I undervaluing that glyph?
Malow

Postby gjaustin on Fri May 04, 2012 7:05 pm

Darvin wrote:Vampiric Blade on a Monk sounds great, but resist stackers run away screaming from Blood Hunger.

No disagreement here. I'll only ever consider Blood Hunger on Dwarf Rogues, due to their combination of First Strike and high health making Dracul a great choice.

Malow wrote:Does anyone else, when seeing this: Image, automatically tells himself "100 CONVERSION POINTS!!" ?

Or am I undervaluing that glyph?

Yes, to both.

If you find it at level 1, it's worth about 6-12 bonus experience.
If you find it at level 2, it's worth about 2-4 bonus experience.
If you find it at level 3, it's 100 conversion points.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Fri May 04, 2012 7:10 pm

No disagreement here. I'll only ever consider Blood Hunger on Dwarf Rogues, due to their combination of First Strike and high health making Dracul a great choice.

One level of Blood Hunger is fine in my books so long as I'm not hitting 45% resists, but mainly because the piety will pay for itself given enough time.

And yes, we've been asking for a WONAFYT buff for ages. The slow effect, as gjaustin mentions, is somewhat valuable at level 1 but beyond that you just convert this glyph. I don't mind some glyphs, like APHEELSIK or BLUDTUPOWA, going obsolete after exploration is mostly complete. However, this is a glyph that goes obsolete way way way too early, to the point at which that it's highly unlikely you will find it while it's still worthwhile.
Darvin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons