Return of the Unofficial Suggestions Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Return of the Unofficial Suggestions Thread

Postby dislekcia on Fri May 04, 2012 10:25 am

Tinyboss wrote:First of all: wow, great game, I've been playing 6 hours straight!

I feel like my suggestion is obvious enough that its omission must be a deliberate choice...but juuuust in case, here it is:

"Hey, look, that says DEATH--are you SURE? Click again to DIE."

This is my first day playing, and I've died twice where this would have saved me. Once my finger slipped while hovering over the boss to view its particulars, and the second time, it looked like I could kill a critter with two attacks, so I clicked twice, and ended up dead.

I'm 100% sure that the second time was some legitimate game mechanic that I didn't take account of, and that it won't really happen anymore once I learn the game better. But this kind of death is something of a downer for a new player, and I don't see a drawback to a (maybe optional) confirmation for suicidal actions. Especially given the (really cool) fact that we can run back out at any time and not lose our gold and items, there's really no reason why I would deliberately choose to die.

There are a few situations where you might want to risk death, mostly when you've got a dodge percentage and the reward for winning is higher than what you'll lose if you die ;)

The thing is that if death is removed from the game in some way, then your decisions as a player lose a lot of impact. It's a funny psychological side-effect: One of the key factors in the game feeling as compelling as it does IS that knowledge that screwing up is an ever present danger. Of course, there will be a couple of interaction changes eventually with some of the ways of playing the game that will make misclick deaths less likely, but I doubt that we'll add a confirmation on death. If you're gonna die, you'll die.

Also, was it a Gorgon that killed you? Their death-gaze is mean.
dislekcia

Postby Joist on Fri May 04, 2012 10:37 am

dislekcia wrote:There are a few situations where you might want to risk death, mostly when you've got a dodge percentage and the reward for winning is higher than what you'll lose if you die ;)

At least 95% of the time you don't want to risk death.

dislekcia wrote:One of the key factors in the game feeling as compelling as it does IS that knowledge that screwing up is an ever present danger.

We don't know that. Give us 1 week with a patch with death confirmation so we can see for ourselves ;)

TL;DR No death confirmation but desecration confirmation = wut
Joist

Postby The Avatar on Fri May 04, 2012 11:17 am

I think they're going to make a two-click system. It was mentioned earlier, I think, and basically it's one click to select the monster, and one more to attack.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby dislekcia on Fri May 04, 2012 2:23 pm

Joist wrote:We don't know that. Give us 1 week with a patch with death confirmation so we can see for ourselves ;)

TL;DR No death confirmation but desecration confirmation = wut

Just because we haven't tested it on you doesn't mean we haven't tested it at all.
dislekcia

Postby Joist on Fri May 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Oh, sorry for not being more specific. I know you have tested it, I meant "we" as in "us" the forum-goers.
Joist

Postby Darvin on Fri May 04, 2012 3:31 pm

I'm 100% sure that the second time was some legitimate game mechanic that I didn't take account of, and that it won't really happen anymore once I learn the game better

My bet is temporary resistances from ENDISWAL. They only last one attack, after which you're taking full damage again. The combat prediction doesn't account for temporary buffs timing out on subsequent attacks.

Also, was it a Gorgon that killed you? Their death-gaze is mean.

Mostly mean for higher-level characters who forget to account for first strike and monks. For lower-level characters, gorgons usually deal more than 50% of your max HP anyways so death gaze doesn't enter into it. Most of the time death gaze only comes into play when you're seriously injured from fighting other monsters and want to quickly kill a much lower-level gorgon.
Darvin

Postby Blovski on Sun May 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Having just grabbed my warmonger labyrinth badge, seems like a pretty neat for-a-bit-of-gold challenge/quest (managed it on third attempt as halfling priest, would be rougher if I weren't doing it with top-tier equipment but with bear mace/binlor or Taurog you've also got a fair shot).
Blovski

Postby The Avatar on Sun May 13, 2012 9:53 pm

You could also just play anyone of Taurog. Like an orc berserker.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Blovski on Mon May 14, 2012 9:15 am

You could also just play anyone of Taurog. Like an orc berserker.

Not tried that but the labyrinth map and boss can *really* screw you if you're going warmonger - I don't think I'd've won the game I did (had to go around the *entire* map in long linear corridors, with the bosses (inc. Meaty) at the very end so no regen chance within battles and had to fight the bosses without access to Taurog's altar) without the ton of health (I got to maybe 170/80odd with whatever the +health pact is, possibly more) and health pots I had. Sure it's doable but you'd need a gentler map than I had, or the opportunity to bear mace through important diagonals.
Blovski

Postby The Avatar on Mon May 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Yeah, the bear mace is essential to Taurog. Also, nailing down that health pact is VERY helpful. If you are incredibly lucky you can get Binlor, Desecration, 3 Stone Hearts, Consensus, Convert out to Taurog.

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons