Special edition? NO NO NO NO NOOOOO.

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Special edition? NO NO NO NO NOOOOO.

Postby dislekcia on Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:57 pm

zeemeerman2 wrote:Just saying that hardcore supporter is not the same as having the money or ability to buy the special edition, even if they love you that much.


As far as we're concerned, anyone buying the game at all is completely awesome! We really didn't expect things to take off like they did today. I can't properly express how great it feels finally putting something you've been working on for ages out there, especially when where we are in the world makes it just that much more difficult to do.
User avatar
dislekcia
 
Posts: 1712
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:58 pm
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Special edition? NO NO NO NO NOOOOO.

Postby srulz on Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:06 am

dislekcia wrote:The version we put on Steam (once we get on there) would be the normal full game, I don't think we'll continue Special Edition sales after the beta is over.


Wait, what?? Are you serious?? So, those "extra contents" would be lost forever to those who did not preorder then :shock:

You know, I am completely cool with the $75 / $100 / whatever hugely-overpriced version you had. That's okay. Fans buying it KNOW what they are getting - credits/involvement in the game FOREVER/etc etc. Seriously, that's one awesome thing that you guys got right.

But DOUBLE the asking price for some unknown "extra contents" that may be:
1. HUGELY worth it, being much more "fun" than the vanilla version, or
2. HUGELY NOT worth it, being some superficial extra things, or cosmetic stuff, etc2

You know, you are now leaving us all (the potential customers) in quite a quandary now. Kind of like gambling. Should I "double the bet" in order to get some POSSIBLY AWESOME STUFF that no other people would get, or should I play it safe?

I actually understood what the original intentions are. You guys want to "reward" people who actually willing to "pay extra" in order to support you guys. But doing it this way (special edition stuff) is just wrong. Plain and simple. You may alienate potential customers who could not choose or don't want to choose, and just lost them to either disinterest, or piracy.

So how about like this: just state it upfront that even if the customers pay $10 for the vanilla version, AFTER SOME TIME you will release the "extra stuff" to them as a free content patch. So, in effect, those who are paying $20 would (1) satisfy their desire to purely support the game, and (2) get to play with some extra stuff MUCH earlier than others, and (3) would provide valuable feedback for those stuff, in case you you want to balance them.

Of course, that would mean that you are willing to release those extra stuff for free of course. And those stuff won't go to waste if the Special Edition is no more.

Thank you for reading until this point. :D
srulz
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:44 pm

Re: Special edition? NO NO NO NO NOOOOO.

Postby dislekcia on Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:33 am

srulz wrote:Wait, what?? Are you serious?? So, those "extra contents" would be lost forever to those who did not preorder then :shock:


Well, that is sorta the point of prestige content: You're offering the people willing to go out on a limb for you added status.

srulz wrote:So how about like this: just state it upfront that even if the customers pay $10 for the vanilla version, AFTER SOME TIME you will release the "extra stuff" to them as a free content patch. So, in effect, those who are paying $20 would (1) satisfy their desire to purely support the game, and (2) get to play with some extra stuff MUCH earlier than others, and (3) would provide valuable feedback for those stuff, in case you you want to balance them.

Of course, that would mean that you are willing to release those extra stuff for free of course. And those stuff won't go to waste if the Special Edition is no more.


Interesting idea. I think there's still a lot of confusion about the exact impact of the bonus content we're talking about here and this might be a good way to mollify the people who are sitting around worried that "OMW we're not going to get the full experience" - then again, the Special Edition is the "support the indie devs" version, so I'm not sure I like the idea of removing the status value of the Special Edition.

Actually, maybe that's a good way to put it: The Special Edition is there so that next time you get into an argument with a friend about game piracy, you can point to the commemorative building in your Kingdom and say "Hey, I bought the Special Edition of this game to help the guys making it AND they're still letting people play early versions for free, your argument is invalid".
User avatar
dislekcia
 
Posts: 1712
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:58 pm
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Special edition? NO NO NO NO NOOOOO.

Postby srulz on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:37 am

dislekcia wrote:Actually, maybe that's a good way to put it: The Special Edition is there so that next time you get into an argument with a friend about game piracy, you can point to the commemorative building in your Kingdom and say "Hey, I bought the Special Edition of this game to help the guys making it AND they're still letting people play early versions for free, your argument is invalid".


... and he would reply, "duhh, I just go pirate the Special Edition anyway, so I will get a commemorative building as well, your argument is invalid." :(

How about like this, those who bought:

(1) Exclusive Edition: get a quest/story/monster's story/anything related to story somehow someway related to them as well. AND also a large mention in the credits section. Obviously, this is for those super-hardcore supporters.

(2) Special Edition: get a small but noticeable mention in the credits section. Some people cared about this A LOT.

(3) Vanilla: get nothing, except the "full game experience" of course, like any others. Some people just want to play the game they had bought.

So, back to the earlier argument situation, I could just point to my name in the credits section, and say "'Nuff said". no piracy gonna beat that! :)
srulz
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:44 pm

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests