Metrics

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Metrics

Postby dislekcia on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:40 am

Bloggorus wrote:But once you set up a database, I can see it paying itself off over time. Procedural generation of content is all the rage these days, and DD is one of the most amazing puzzle 'frameworks' I've ever seen. The DD system is just begging for 'procedurally informed' randomisation.

I ranted about this a while back in my begging for random runs. If the database of run info could be linked to a reward system in game, you have an almost infinite level of replayability right there, for an initial investment and very little upkeep.

The PQI pulls off your completed runs and then lobs something at you that you don't seem to like doing, I don't know if that's obvious or not, but it does pretty much exactly what you said above :)
dislekcia

Postby dislekcia on Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:42 am

The Avatar wrote:Is there anyway we can see play time through metrics? I sort of fear and want to know how much time I injected into this game...

... Possibly? Right now total play time isn't stored in the DB, I'd have to go through and link start messages with end messages based on a whole bunch of other data. That'd be slow. There's a chance that the raw run stuff that your profile keeps has timestamps on it, I'll ask Aeq.
dislekcia

Postby The Avatar on Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:23 am

It was worth a shot. Is it possible for us to see our own metrics in a run "log" that shows us dungeon, race+class, Victory Death or flee, time, and a few stats like average time, most common god, rac, and class?
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Bloggorus on Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:56 am

dislekcia wrote:
Bloggorus wrote:But once you set up a database, I can see it paying itself off over time. Procedural generation of content is all the rage these days, and DD is one of the most amazing puzzle 'frameworks' I've ever seen. The DD system is just begging for 'procedurally informed' randomisation.

I ranted about this a while back in my begging for random runs. If the database of run info could be linked to a reward system in game, you have an almost infinite level of replayability right there, for an initial investment and very little upkeep.

The PQI pulls off your completed runs and then lobs something at you that you don't seem to like doing, I don't know if that's obvious or not, but it does pretty much exactly what you said above :)

It's close, but not quite.

Many different kinds of stats can be combined into an overall 'difficulty meter' for a combinations of class-race-dungeon.

I was talking about a dynamic difficulty reward- super crazy hard stuff nets you thousands, run of the mill stuff gets you fifty gold.

The databse crunches your numbers, and everyone else's, and gives you a reward based on how hard you and everyone else finds that particaulr challenge.

Also allows for leaderboards and score comparisons with the playing community.

Still love the PQI though. I fail almost all the time, but the completionist in me enjoys it.

At the moment the reward is great, but static. Players are challenged, but still may be put off by seemingly impossible challenges that arent worth the prize. It can also be easy money if you get a good combo, so i suppose it evens out in the end.

edit: it would also be a great exploit finder: if a player suddenly starts winning with a combination that should be super hard, you know they've found some crazy unknown strategy,
Bloggorus

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons