Love the game. . . my humble suggestions!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Love the game. . . my humble suggestions!

Postby MaximumSquid on Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:20 pm

Just want to start off that I can't wait for the release; the style of this game is nearly a lost art and people like myself who picked up previous titles like Oasis have been basically starving for another chance at the genre

---

I recently unlocked everything except for the "very special class" and want to pass these on:

● Was fairly disappointed in Monk. . . Would have loved to seen a skill like this on him instead of DISCIPLINE:
QUIVERING PALM: 20% chance to instantly defeat a foe
SUBMISSION MOVES: Each strike weakens a foes attack power, foes cannot flee (blink)

● Remove bad items like Bonebreaker or rework them so Players don't feel cheated out of an item when it spawns
Rework 1: Shops carry 2 items but you can only choose to purchase one
Rework 2: Lessor items like Bonebreaker are now dropped as random loot from mobs

● Abilities that work once per level up would be worth exploring:
MOMENTUM MK2: after leveling you gain +100% bonus damage until you defeat your next foe
FEARED: after leveling up enemies permanently lose 5% of their max health (roughly 40% total by level 10)

● Likewise abilities that work only when you have full health / mana
SCOUTING: while you have full health you can see 1 additional square
CHANNELING: spells cost only 1 mana while your mana bar is full

● Temples were very confusing and often lead to me losing more than anything
Rework 1: make deity rewards quest based (do X, get Y) angering them removes the quest (fail on Z)
Rework 2: have one temple, have it partially revealed at the start, and let player choose their deity

● Have landmarks like temples have random obstacles that need to be overcome before you can reap their benefits
Idea 1: The door is closed until you slay 2 undead
Idea 2: The water will only flow for heroes who are level 5 or stronger

● Add more landmarks to the game
Eternal Fountain: Initial visit grants +5 hp & +5 atk, return visits refill lost health and mana at the cost of exp
Lair: defeat 3 enemies in succession and claim a valuable prize (exp and prize rewarded after completion)

● Adding one more minor decision when selecting your class could add a lot to the game
Warlord: Do you want to start with CYDSTEPP or the HALPMEH glyph?
Rogue: Do you want to start with a weapon that gives First Strike or a weapon that deals Poison?

● Skills that trigger upon winning a battle
TRACKING: after defeating a foe enemies of the same type are revealed
NECROMANCY: defeating a foe 2 levels lower than you adds a 50% of their hp and atk to yourself for your next fight

● Lastly, features that prevent games from auto losing might be good
Idea 1: general game balancing so games don't require a specific item, landmark, or combination in order to win
Idea 2: a simple "Undo Button". . . I don't know how many times I've lost because of a miss click :cry:

---

Hopefully my thoughts will get some creative juices flowing. . .
I also have a number of complete class professions that I will be posting in the class and glyph idea thread:
http://www.qcfdesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=32

-
MaximumSquid

Re: Love the game. . . my humble suggestions!

Postby metroid composite on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:08 pm

MaximumSquid wrote:● Was fairly disappointed in Monk. . . Would have loved to seen a skill like this on him instead of DISCIPLINE:
QUIVERING PALM: 20% chance to instantly defeat a foe
SUBMISSION MOVES: Each strike weakens a foes attack power, foes cannot flee (blink)

Monk is a fantastic class, but I can see why you might not associate them with the D&D Monk. I'd associate the most defencive class in the game with something more like a heavy-armor user (Knight, maybe?) Then again, Fighter is probably best-used as an Elf Mage, and Sorceror is probably best used as a significantly physical class, so...Desktop Dungeons doesn't exactly stick close to D&D roles.

● Remove bad items like Bonebreaker or rework them so Players don't feel cheated out of an item when it spawns
Rework 1: Shops carry 2 items but you can only choose to purchase one
Rework 2: Lessor items like Bonebreaker are now dropped as random loot from mobs

I like the idea of picking from two items in a shop, although it does add complexity to the game, and Desktop Dungeons is kinda beautiful in its simplicity so...I dunno.

● Temples were very confusing and often lead to me losing more than anything
Rework 1: make deity rewards quest based (do X, get Y) angering them removes the quest (fail on Z)
Rework 2: have one temple, have it partially revealed at the start, and let player choose their deity

Rework 3: just have better in-game hints about what the gods like. I enjoy the deity system now that I know how it works, but there was a time when I thought Earthmother would kill my piety for killing any non-undead creature (instead of just Snakes and Goats). I mean, you can frame this however you like (maybe you have to collect ancient scripture so the full info on deities isn't revealed when you first start playing) but not having an in-game explanation is just obnoxious and I just end up going to the wiki anyway.

● Adding one more minor decision when selecting your class could add a lot to the game
Warlord: Do you want to start with CYDSTEPP or the HALPMEH glyph?
Rogue: Do you want to start with a weapon that gives First Strike or a weapon that deals Poison?

I disagree; I think a lot of the time, there will be an obvious "best" version of this minor decision. For instance, Rogue in your example should almost always get Poison (except in the Crypt where poison is useless). Also, it makes the "green dots" less meaningful. When I see that I've beaten the Crypt with the Assassin class, or the Factory with the Half-Dragon, I feel pretty good about that. If the Half-Dragon had a physical version, or if the Assassin had the option of starting with CYDSTEPP, I wouldn't have the same feeling of accomplishment of "I beat the anti-magic dungeon with this class that only has a magic attack."

● Skills that trigger upon winning a battle
TRACKING: after defeating a foe enemies of the same type are revealed
NECROMANCY: defeating a foe 2 levels lower than you adds a 50% of their hp and atk to yourself for your next fight

These...already exist.... See: Life Drain. See: Crusader. See: secret unlocked class in v0.2.
metroid composite

Return to Desktop Dungeons