Class Challenge Difficulty Issues

All things Desktop Dungeons

Class Challenge Difficulty Issues

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:06 am

The class challenges, while roughly equal, have a couple that are just too hard. While I'm talking about some golds, if you think any silvers or bronzes are too tough, feel free to post your concerns. Here are the issues:

Fighter Gold: I came really close, so maybe just 20 or so less hp on the boss. I kept getting 1 or 2 hits from victory. I probably could have beaten it if I had done 5 tries instead of 3, but it might be a bit to tough.

Paladin Gold: Maybe this one is just me, but I didn't even get close on my first try. It sucked, and I only got his resists to 66% or so. This seems really hard. The boss without resist is harder than most hard bosses, but with resists this seems crazy.

Sorcerer Gold: I could beat this if MA spawned. And I thought she could. Still, I tried 5 or so times and she never spawned. Is this a bug? If it isn't, I think you should add her back.

Bloodmage Gold: WTF?! This is crazy! This would take waaaay to many PISORFs, and there aren't even that many walls in the dungeon. He does way too much damage to make a physical strategy viable, and he has counter fireball.

Does anyone know how to beat any of these "extra difficult" ones? Are they actually too tough or is it me? Do you agree or disagree with any of my suggestions?

Feel free to respond or add your own problems.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Re: Class Challenge Difficulty Issues

Postby Nurator on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:54 pm

Paladin is doable. You need EM for that. The goats can be petrified into walls again to give you 10 piety or slowed to easily get killed. With a lot of hp/dmgred/enemy corrosion the bosses are okay. Not easy, but doable.

Sorcerer is okay. Found MA on the first try and instantly finished it... not THAT hard. Without her doable but VERY hard.

I did fighter gold in the week with the platemail bug... never finished it again after that... so PRETTY hard.

Bloodmage? Will try it :)

EDIT:

He can be hurt! And after two hits (i think), his damage went down! But came nowhere near beating him :(
Nurator

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:27 pm

Thought so. MA just wouldn't spawn...

I guess I'll have to try Paladin again. I sort of ignored EM my first try.

For fighter I prep Slayer Wand, Strength, Quicksilver, Whupaz, and transmutation scroll. Be a goblin. Start by using transmutation to get the sword. Slayer Wand the last two mini bosses. Make sure you save as many glyphs as possible. Make sure you nab the items. Use LEMISI and BYSSEPS to whittle the bosses resists. I recommend continuing to use BYSSEPS throughout the fight instead of BURNDAYRAZ. Try to get at least 2 mid-fight level ups.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

The Avatar

Postby xspeedballx on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:53 pm

I wish I could currently play so I can cross reference my thoughts on challenges. However while recently starting a new kingdom I was chugging through challenges. While I never found the silvers to be particularly hard(they seem to be tuned to be a moderate speed bump to someone familiar with intermediate to advanced strategies), I found the golds to be a bit of a wall.

Some of that is probably related to personal skill level, being out of the loop for a while, and just being out of practice. However, it occurs to me that maybe a moderate level of guidance on what you should do would be handy. Maybe even as a gold sink. Pay 1000 gold, here is a tip on how to approach this.

Fighter especially is rough. Made a bit more so that you can get access to it before you may even know what all the items in the corners do, to properly plan a strategy. I expect these challenges are meant to add gameplay extension and therefore value to the game. However, I am concerned that due to the at times obfuscated nature of the advanced and expert strategies of the game, they may forever be insurmountable to many players when the game is in the wild.
xspeedballx

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:07 pm

You don't need to know what the items are off the bat unless you plan to win in one try.

Just curious, how did you damage him? Slowing? Resists?

We should create a list of gold challenges in order of difficulty!

Here's a thought:
Bloodmage
Paladin
Sorcerer
Fighter
Warlord
Monk
Wizard
Rogue
Berserker
Thief
Assassin
Priest

The Avatar

Postby xspeedballx on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:01 pm

I agree partially. You are right this is information you can discover. However you are encouraging a behavior that as far as I can tell is not really encouraged or even necessary elsewhere. Discovery for the sake of discovery. The game is usually pretty good about giving you a bunch of numbers(and obscure versions of numbers) and letting you do the simple to complex math to figure out a course of action.

The fighter gold challenge basically asks you to fail at least 4 times mostly intentionally to even BEGIN crafting a plan if you don't know what those items are yet. It is understood that all of the challenges have a specific skill set designed to be utilized. There is an approach that is expected to be used. It is understood you are expected to try and fail a few times to get it right as well.

However, I am not sure it is expected that you should have to try several times to have enough info to craft a solution. Mostly moot I suppose though I would hope a reasonable player would step away from the fighter challenge in hopes of playing more if at a wall. I just feel idealogically the various challenges should be more of a challenge of skill then a challenge of information gathering(understanding many may argue they fall together in this game).
xspeedballx

Postby The Avatar on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:25 pm

There is a lot of skill. It just makes things easier if you know what you're up against. Every time I do a new dungeon, challenge, etc. I do a purist "crash test" not to win, but to see what I'm up against so I can formulate a strategy. Still, I could see this going either way, so it's really the devs decision.

The Avatar

Postby Nurator on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:47 am

In the bloodmage Gold, I just played a dwarf and converted a LOT of items, until I had enough hp to take a hit. With a few mana potions, my bloodpools gave me enough hp to completely heal with 4 of them (i hadnt used any of them before). So I attacked him, healed with blood, attacked him again and so on. Managed to get 10 hits (i think). After a few hits, his hp went up again, his dmg decreased and a corrosion pool spawned... I have no idea, if this occurs again at some time :)

Devs? What is the trick behind that?
Nurator

Postby The Avatar on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:23 pm

He turns your powers against you by eating your bloodpools. He did that in his weaker old version, but now with his new version this is crazy.

The Avatar

Postby Nurator on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:02 pm

ok bloodmage is just impossible... no god spawns, hard enemies against you and an ridicolous boss... even if you get some hits (this time got 8(!)), you bring him down to 70% until he kicks your ass... nowhere near beatable :(
Nurator

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons