Idle Musings.. Adventure mode

All things Desktop Dungeons

Idle Musings.. Adventure mode

Postby xspeedballx on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Most people do mental garbage collection by sleeping and dreaming, I do mine when I walk my dog every morning. That said while walking my dog I mulled over a few discussions of late and some ideas came to mind. The one in this thread is here because it is largely non useful feedback and just an idea that came about.

Lujo in his trademark diarrhea of words(I mean this respectfully) had said something a few times. This is not the roguelike it is touted to be but more of a puzzle game. I agree and this is a good thing. However then I asked myself can it be both? The answer I came up with is not easily. Not quickly, but it could be good.

My thoughts are what if the game had an adventure mode? You chose a race and a class and away you go. Basic premise is you need to search the 4 corners of the lands for pieces to the macguffin of door opening to get in the tower to beat the big baddy and rescue your sister. Or something. Story is for writers(of which I am but not right now, different brains for different tasks).

Any way, you would be more focused on personal building. Out goes the preps, in comes incremental upgrades and paths. For example you could use points gained(either a generic "overall" experience system, or quest completion, or something), to bias yourself towards certain deities. You can choose from several different benefits, more starting peity, percent cheaper boons, alter more likely to be near starting position, etc.) Sort of like a modern talent tree. There would be other trees and upgrade paths to improve your character. Including spending gold(of which income is dramatically decreased and limited. Steep diminishing returns on farming same dungeon).

The dungeons themselves would not play dramatically different. Still would start at level 1(not sure you could balance boons that makes that different). The talents themselves would be highly incremental, small %'s that add up if you invest so you can properly specialize. I am sure more could be played with. Could probably even utilize the class buildings still. Depending on class chosen you get benefits of your class building. Which either get upgraded through some of your actions(first upgrade at all directonal normals, second at all directional hards?), or through some other process.

Like I said idle musings and nothing the developers really have time or direction to even fiddle with, but I like incremental power systems(which draws me to roguelikes), and I like polish(which draws me to DD).
xspeedballx

Re: Idle Musings.. Adventure mode

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:34 pm

Would make for a dandy spinnoff, seing how what his game is is actualy an awesome engine that took one particular direction to land here where it is. That would indeed be taking the engine and making more of a roguelike out of it (or an RPG) rather than more of a puzzler.

I like it as an idea, and not just because I got a namedrop (:P to jump-to-conclusions people)

EDIT: In order not to appear as the last poster in 7 threads at the top of the forum threads list, here I offer a completely serious bow of respect and appreciation for the linguistic stratagem above and below, as an edit in.

EDIT2: (Not to boost post count and have name appear everywere) If anything Gaan'Telet itself showcaset the potential of the engine. I've been playing it as a game within a game, and it's known that it even conforms to different rules when it comes to assesing the power level of certain features.
Last edited by Lujo on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby xspeedballx on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:47 pm

It's ok your name drop was tempered with the word diarrhea which most people would rather not associate themselves with. I would count your opinion as unbiased at that point. ;)
xspeedballx

Postby The Avatar on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:47 pm

Hmm... The DD in dungeon engine (particularly the in-dungeon regen system) has tons of potential for growth and spinoff.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:52 pm

This is somewhat similar to an idea I had suggested before.

Mine was a mode where all the dungeons are connected together and your goal is to kill every Vicious boss. Basically an even larger version of Gaan'telet.
gjaustin

Return to Desktop Dungeons