Dungeon of the Day - Master Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Dungeon of the Day - Master Thread

Postby gjaustin on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:03 pm

One of the recent updates caused temporary bonuses to apply to both attacks caused by a Reflex potion. Whupaz is included in this!
gjaustin

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:07 pm

gjaustin wrote:One of the recent updates caused temporary bonuses to apply to both attacks caused by a Reflex potion. Whupaz is included in this!

I'm still :shock:

I'm also trying to phrase the question so that I don't spell out what it does.

Ok, so now I remember Dreamdancer mentioning that it applies the STR potion damage twice. You mean it calculates the damage you would do after drinking Whoopaz, and then applies the same ammount on the second hit. This must be what you mean, ofc, and that I believe is a huuuuuuge bug.

Do we even report this?
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:18 pm

The second hit may be calculated off of the new health total. I'm not sure.

It's easy enough to test though.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:59 pm

I'm also trying to phrase the question so that I don't spell out what it does.

The answer is yes. It's as if you quaff a can of WHUPAZ, hit the enemy, then drink another can and hit them again. Makes vicious Firstborn tremble in fear. In most cases, double-strength + reflex is even better. Definitely a bug that needs addressing.

In my opinion the fact that high-HP bosses have more or less been wiped off the roster (pretty much limited to vicious scenarios now) has reduced the power of WHUPAZ to the point at which I only prep it for specific scenarios that are assured a big "tub-of-lard" type boss. VGT, Dragon Isles, Slime Pit, and maybe Naga City. That's it.

Very good points on Purist; we may well have to move it to 5-points in the future. We'll see analyze how much scoring it's responsible for at the end of this round and reconsider from there. Given we've had very few (any?) purist runs so far, it'll probably get moved to 5 points.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:04 pm

My wizard on Rock Garden was purist, and thanks for the Whoopaz tip. I really have to stop prepping it, but I run into SMM and Frank so often that I'm always sorry I 100% always and with no mistake whatsoever forget to ever use it even if I have it on every run. -.-
Lujo

Postby gjaustin on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:49 pm

I still prep it because, even on a Rogue, I rarely can do as much damage in a single hit.

There are times where it ends up not that useful, but it's never bad.
gjaustin

Postby gjaustin on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:22 am

If we do increase the value of Purist, what should we lower to keep the max score at 30?

I'm thinking Miser. Using Trisword/Alchemist Scroll/Crystall Ball to use up your gold and Translocation Scroll to take the best item makes it pretty easy to get.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:03 am

I'm thinking Miser. Using Trisword/Alchemist Scroll/Crystall Ball to use up your gold and Translocation Scroll to take the best item makes it pretty easy to get.

I think that's more a function of the problem with purist. If we're making an alteration to purist, I'd be hesitant to move miser in the same group.

The max score of 30 was a convenient (and unintended) aspect of the scoring system, but I don't feel it's particularly important to adhere to it.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:49 am

Especially considering you could surpass that if you used a class with a bonus on a very easy dungeon.

I think the bonuses might be a bit too strong. What do you guys think?
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby q 3 on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:16 pm

This would be a really neat feature to have in-game, since it's basically the closest we have to true multiplayer without radically changing the game itself. I wonder how difficult it would be to program a multiplayer quest? All you'd really need is to assign the quest like any other, and then have a leaderboard with all the results.

The Avatar wrote:I think the bonuses might be a bit too strong. What do you guys think?

They'll need some adjusting over time, to be sure, but the overall range (+0 to +5) seems appropriate to me, considering class balance. There haven't been many (any?) serious Crusader attempts on the current dungeon, which could mean that the class is undervalued or it could just be no one has put the effort in yet (and the Crusader is one of the less-appreciated classes anyhow, certainly one of the most inaccessible outside of monster classes).

What if we tried having future challenges using only classes in the same handicap bracket? It would allow for easier comparison; if one of those classes clearly outperforms or underperforms the others, it would make a much better case for adjusting point values than would trying to compare a +0 with a +4 class.
q 3

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons