Dungeon of the Day - Master Thread

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Dungeon of the Day - Master Thread

Postby gjaustin on Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:32 am

Darvin wrote:
I'm thinking Miser. Using Trisword/Alchemist Scroll/Crystall Ball to use up your gold and Translocation Scroll to take the best item makes it pretty easy to get.

I think that's more a function of the problem with purist. If we're making an alteration to purist, I'd be hesitant to move miser in the same group.

The max score of 30 was a convenient (and unintended) aspect of the scoring system, but I don't feel it's particularly important to adhere to it.

But does anyone skip Miser?

I've looked over all the scores and MIser is one of the most common badges. The places it doesn't appear are frequently accompanied by comments saying that they had to buy a potion to finish off the boss.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:39 am

This would be a really neat feature to have in-game, since it's basically the closest we have to true multiplayer without radically changing the game itself. I wonder how difficult it would be to program a multiplayer quest? All you'd really need is to assign the quest like any other, and then have a leaderboard with all the results.

Agreed; if the devs want to go for it that'd be cool, but at this stage it's not something I'd expect.

There haven't been many (any?) serious Crusader attempts on the current dungeon

Actually, right now things are about even between the classes. After accounting for handicap, here are the top scores:
Rogue - 22 points
Priest - 21 points
Crusader - 21 points

If the contest closed right now, our top three would have one of each class.
Darvin

Postby Gavster on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:39 am

I like whupaz! The times I don't remember to use it are when I know I can take the bosses and don't plan ahead.
Gavster

Postby Darvin on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:13 pm

Unless there's a new submission, it looks like things were about balanced for round 4. The best Rogue and Crusader submissions tied for score, and the best Priest beat them by only a single point. We could make an argument to move priest up to +3, but I wouldn't shift him more than one point.

With round 4 at a close, I'd like to talk about round 5. I'm thinking about the following random arrays:

Class Selection (3d12 - reroll duplicates): Fighter (1), Warlord (2), Thief (3), Assassin (4), Monk (5), Paladin (6), Sorcerer (7), Bloodmage (8), Tinker (9), Vampire (10), Gorgon (11), Half-Dragon (12)

This eliminates the classes from rounds 3 and 4 from rotation and lets the monster classes in on the fun.

Dungeon Selection (1d6): Naga City (1), Dragon Isles (2), Demonic Library (3), Vicious Halls of Steel (4), Namtar's Lair (5), reroll on 6

Should hard Gaan-Telet be the 6th candidate here, or would that cheapen a "vicious dungeon of the day" rotation?

Anyone else wanna play host this time?
Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:37 pm

That includes changing Purist to 5, right? And I assume I didn't convince you to change Miser to 2 as well? :)

I vote for no Gaan-Telet. If we do that, it should be selected and not determined randomly.
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:45 pm

Note that I said Hard Gaan-Telet. The vicious one would scare off practically everyone.

I'm not entirely convinced on both moving purist to 5 and miser to 2. The thing is, hoarder and faithless were taken even less than purist. I'm more inclined to leave purist where it is and knock down miser for the time-being. If purist is being considered, we really need to talk about hoarder and faithless as well.
Darvin

Postby gjaustin on Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:58 pm

Darvin wrote:Note that I said Hard Gaan-Telet. The vicious one would scare off practically everyone.

I'm not entirely convinced on both moving purist to 5 and miser to 2. The thing is, hoarder and faithless were taken even less than purist. I'm more inclined to leave purist where it is and knock down miser for the time-being. If purist is being considered, we really need to talk about hoarder and faithless as well.

Hmm, good points.

I think that Hoarder will go back up in popularity. When you have Rogues and Priests, you're going to want to be doing conversions to pump health/attack or get potions, respectively. I'd say that Rogues, Priests, Thieves, and Vampires are the classes that are going to avoid Hoarder the most.

As for Faithless, I think the reason for it being a little less common is that you can change your mind on it part way through the run. Frequently without any drawback. So if you suddenly realize you aren't going to complete the dungeon, you just start worshiping Dracul, get a bunch of piety, and heal yourself. I believe that, over time, Faithless will be the badge that separates high-scoring runs from winning runs. Because of that, it doesn't NEED to be worth a lot of points.

Finally, for Purist you're right that reducing Miser might help deal with it being so strong. It might be worth sitting down and comparing how much utility you get from Purist compared to some of the deities. Though I suspect it'll be hard to beat +30% attack, 2 free attacks (potions), a free item (say +20% attack/+2 HP per level), and a prep item (say 10 death protections). Plus whatever Patches gets you (even if it's only some conversion points).
gjaustin

Postby Darvin on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:05 pm

Good points on faithless and hoarder; we'll leave them for another round and re-evaluate then. As for miser, purist, and warmonger, I'm uncertain of how to proceed.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:07 pm

I can't host this one, but I think you should also randomize a non-vicious dungeon and shut out vets like me, Darvin, etc.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby gjaustin on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Darvin wrote:Good points on faithless and hoarder; we'll leave them for another round and re-evaluate then. As for miser, purist, and warmonger, I'm uncertain of how to proceed.

For Warmonger, I'm pretty sure you were right to make it 5 in the first place.
gjaustin

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons