Extra pixels

All things Desktop Dungeons

Extra pixels

Postby GoatBot on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:45 am

Discussion - Extra pixels
GoatBot

Re: Extra pixels

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Bugfix update, some important stuff there, plus some nice but non mechanical stuff. Guess the behind the scenes stuff and hard coding work is taking most of the time. Slim pickings for us, I think, but were still on your side <3

Now where them elf women at?

EDIT: The elven thief girl looks a bit... manly. The others are mostly the usual stunningly beautiful slim elf girls, except tastefully drawn in a tastefull color/effect scheme (props to the artist - very, very refreshing style).

On the plus side, I've finally discovered what a male elven rogue looks like.
Lujo

Postby q 3 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Fixed bug with inventory item info popups being too persistent.

:D

Lujo wrote:On the plus side, I've finally discovered what a male elven rogue looks like.

You've never experienced the glory of an Elf Rogue? Right, you were never in on the CYDSTEPP abuse. ;) They're not so useful these days, sadly...
q 3

Postby Darvin on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:39 pm

You've never experienced the glory of an Elf Rogue? Right, you were never in on the CYDSTEPP abuse. ;) They're not so useful these days, sadly...

Back then, Dracul was the mana-monger instead of the health-monger. You didn't need elves to have crazy MP.

Good patch overall, lots of solid bug-fixes.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:50 pm

q 3 wrote:You've never experienced the glory of an Elf Rogue? Right, you were never in on the CYDSTEPP abuse. ;) They're not so useful these days, sadly...

Well, I was IN on it, I just wasnt cool with it :D

And while we're there, I may have just found a use for the Cauldron. How does being able to turn mana potions into a CYDSTEPP at the 20 mana threshold instead of 25 sound?

Gnomes + Warlord + Extra Mana + Cauldron + JJ. Either don't take Chaos Avatar, or get your self cursed and debuffed once afterwards. Entirely preppable. (Ech, 2 mana short, two helpings of JJ's mana boost).

It can probably work with Warlord + Elf + Extra Mana + Mysterea - you'd get less mana potions, and you'd have to convert other stuff to save glyphs for Refreshment, but at least you'd get your 5 mana potions worth.
Lujo

Postby Sidestepper on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:01 pm

The opportunity cost of not taking the Trisword is too high. I think the cauldron should be regulated to the shop pool. Still pushing for my Slime Cauldron idea.
Sidestepper

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:09 pm

I support that idea.

Plus, the cauldron is either misleadingly labeled or bugged, because what I've just described doesnt work. And the way I interpret it's meaning it should. Otherwise the cauldron is completely useless...

(open picture in new tab to see what I' talking about).

If, however, the cauldron just adds 5% of the 40% (2%) to the potion effect, I'd need 5 debuffs on to be able to do this.

I got weaken, and corroded, I guess I can add poison and curse to it, and possibly slow. That's way too much effort just to buff a strat that certanly doesn't need any buffs...
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:20 pm

How does being able to turn mana potions into a CYDSTEPP at the 20 mana threshold instead of 25 sound?

A lot like mystic balance ;-)

Gnomes + Warlord + Extra Mana + Cauldron + JJ. Either don't take Chaos Avatar, or get your self cursed and debuffed once afterwards. Entirely preppable. (Ech, 2 mana short, two helpings of JJ's mana boost).

Add Patches to the mix, he'll usually give 1 or 2 points of mana. Only issue is that burn cure potions will interfere with this approach...

It can probably work with Warlord + Elf + Extra Mana + Mystera - you'd get less mana potions, and you'd have to convert other stuff to save glyphs for Refreshment, but at least you'd get your 5 mana potions worth.

Extra mana isn't worth it, especially for elves. You only need 490 CP to get 20 mana as an elf, and the attack bonus is far more valuable overall. With Mystera on the field, all you need are the elven boots and 25 mana is a piece of cake.

The opportunity cost of not taking the Trisword is too high. I think the cauldron should be regulated to the shop pool. Still pushing for my Slime Cauldron idea.

And that is the real problem. I've been considering our current item lineup lately, and the Trisword is just way too good...

Agree with putting a Slime Cauldron in the shop pool.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:21 pm

Darvin wrote:
How does being able to turn mana potions into a CYDSTEPP at the 20 mana threshold instead of 25 sound?

A lot like mystic balance ;-)

With Mystic Balance, you'd need 16 Mana. Thats Extra Mana + 1 Magic from Mysterea. Or if Elf, you need 225 CP. Extra mana would still potentially take a fully explored map, but it preppable, as opposed to, say Elven Boots, which aren't. And you've need to pick two debuffs up somewhere, but 2 is rather manageable. Come to think of it, 4 is manageable (weakening, corrosion, poison, curse and slow from RBS) which then means you need less mana with or without Mystic Balance.

Quick, someone, do mathemagic! If 10 is 60% whats a 100%? Also for 8?

Patches, as you mention, is also probably fine.

And DO NOT underestimate Extra Mana. Ever! It stacks and adds up and let's wizards do 3 fireballs unassisted, and Warlord's got too much attack anyway :D

And that is the real problem. I've been considering our current item lineup lately, and the Trisword is just way too good...[/quote]

It is, I've just not been harping on it because it went through so many incarnations and CB is more gruesome. But, during my enitre playthrough BEFORE I've unlocked it, the ammount of situations where I thought "Trisword would make this trivial" is rather alarming. And I've put off unlocking it untill the very least moment so I'd get a chance to see the game without cheeze in my eyes, which is how CB snuck upon me.

However, screw the opportunity cost if you can turn every mana potion into a free hit with just preps and so little hassle. Heck, the strat is so hassle free you can darn well just prep quest items and pick the sword up - if you're packing cauldron, you'd be looking for the Platemail anyway - unless you prep RBS.

Darvin wrote:Agree with putting a Slime Cauldron in the shop pool.

Agree very much, except I'd love if it got it damned predictions fixed first so I can test it properly. It's bound to be stupidly good with JJ worshiping wizards. The big problem it has is there isn't so much stuff you can do with extra effective potions except CYDSTEPP. And it works better with gnomes than with elves, especially if you tack on a mage plate (for glyphs other than CYDSTEPP). So it's boosting gnomes and warlords, big whoop!
Lujo

Postby Darvin on Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:39 pm

With Mystic Balance, you'd need 16 Mana

I was speaking about mystic balance instead of the naga cauldron. With the naga cauldron it costs 10 mana for a CYDSTEPP and a 50% mana potion at 20 MP gives you 10 mana. With mystic balance it costs 8 mana for a CYDSTEPP and a 40% mana potion at 20 MP gives you 8 mana.

And DO NOT underestimate Extra Mana. Ever! It stacks and adds up and let's wizards do 3 fireballs unassisted

Pure casters, sure (although for an Elf Wizard, I'd still be tempted to go with attack boosters for easier popcorn cleanup), but for any kind of hybrid the attack is just too valuable.

and Warlord's got too much attack anyway

No such thing as too much attack. I'd much rather take the attack bonus and try to find another way to raise my MP. I might consider it for a human, but not for an elf who already has CP-driven mana at his disposal.
Darvin

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons