Current summary of the gods.

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Current summary of the gods.

Postby q 3 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:55 am

Glowing Guardian worshiping Assassins are unexpectedly great. They shouldn't work at all, but Swift Hand entirely negates the malus from Sanctify, making them probably the single best piety earners he has. You don't even need to rush for the altar, because you're better off using poison to level up until there aren't many tiles left to explore, then joining and converting the glyph. I don't think it's broken, but it's amusing that one of the "evil" classes works so well with the big guy.

On the other hand, I'm finding it hard to effectively worship Tikki Tooki as an Assassin. The piety gain from poison is far outweighed by the piety loss from constantly taking damage, and he doesn't have any really great boons to make late game worship worthwhile. I'll sometimes switch to him from Glowing Guardian, for Tikki Edge and to be able to use potions, but otherwise he just doesn't seem to fit the class very well, which makes me sad. At the very least there should be a much higher piety gain from poisoning, like +4 or so per casting.
q 3

Postby Darvin on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:07 am

Glowing Guardian worshiping Assassins are unexpectedly great.

Assassins have always been good with GG, even in freeware. Same tactic, except back then it was all the health regen they did from their hit and run poison tactics that gave them loads of starting piety, rather than sanctified swift hands kills. Actually, I really considered them the "deific loophole" class in freeware since they dodged many godly restrictions via technicalities or well-planned tactics.

On the other hand, I'm finding it hard to effectively worship Tikki Tooki as an Assassin.

Tikki Tooki has always been a bit of a "odd duck out" among the gods. He awards piety to classes that can avoid damage, and has boons that work best for classes that brawl it out and take damage. His boons have been made a little more diverse now, but the primary problem still remains that he doesn't really offer anything that people want, and he's too difficult to earn piety with for many classes.

I think Tikki Tooki needs to lose the poison boon. Bottom line: any class that can make good use of this boon can't accrue piety fast enough to attain it while it's still relevant. This was also the case in the freeware (though that perplexing +10 piety for using WEYTWUT was a silly workaround to the issue).

Mysteria is way too strong if you have BLUDTOPOWA, since you basically get double piety if you're lucky enough to find it.

Mysteria was like this in the freeware, as well. Getting BLUDTUPOWA and/or the crystal ball item were basically mandatory to use her, since she was so horrendously underpowered (she'd still gimp you more often than not with those ideal glyphs).

Mysteria still comes across as a god that is way too situational. I've been finding a lot of use with her as a warlord in dungeons where the bosses aren't physical immune. As soon as I hit 10 piety, I grab the mana boon. I freely piss her off and let her rack up magic resist on my enemies. So long as I cash out my piety before I anger her, I take no penalty at all since I'm not using magic damage. Seems she works well for everyone except casters, who take the brunt of her double-edged nature.

I find Taurog is awesome if you're playing purist without preparations, but the moment you take items or a gold allowance in with you, he becomes significantly weaker. A purist is unlikely to ever be able to buy a good item in the dungeon, so the fact that Taurog utilizes most of your inventory space is irrelevant. Once you can buy or bring in a good item, then suddenly Taurog comes with a significant trade-off. It's an interesting mechanic.
Darvin

Postby Wargizmo on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:12 am

Darvin wrote:I find Taurog is awesome if you're playing purist without preparations, but the moment you take items or a gold allowance in with you, he becomes significantly weaker. A purist is unlikely to ever be able to buy a good item in the dungeon, so the fact that Taurog utilizes most of your inventory space is irrelevant. Once you can buy or bring in a good item, then suddenly Taurog comes with a significant trade-off. It's an interesting mechanic.

Taurog is still good if you want to take items in with you. There are two ways to deal with the inventory space issue.

Firstly, buy out all Taurog's items but leave the one or two you don't have space for on the ground. Then if you use all your health potions before completing the dungeon you'll free up an extra slot, this gives you the option of keeping your locker item and using the other 5 slots for Taurog's set, thus allowing you to take his final boon without converting your locker item. Since the final boon is extra lives there's no real need to use it until you've used all your health pots anyway, so just pick his least useful item (usually the shield or helm) and leave it on the ground until the end.

The second option is to just start off as a Taurog worshipper and pick and choose which items you want most then switch faith to another god once you have filled up your inventory, Taurog's piety is so easy to get that you'll almost always be able to switch fairly early giving you plenty of opportunity to take the new gods boons (I highly recommend GG for enlightenment as this stacks up really well with the buffs from Taurog's items).
Wargizmo

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons