[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Bring on the Pretty

Bring on the Pretty

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Bring on the Pretty

Postby booooooze on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:14 am

Also couldn't find the blacksmith without looking at the map on the blog.
booooooze

Postby Lujo on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:37 am

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby paplaukes on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:04 am

Tried a new profile - it's somewhat better but I still had to look for each unlocked building. Maybe add a blue glow to each newly arrived building? Or a fancier arrival animation if the artists feel like it.
Same with starting the dungeons - the race/class choices weren't obvious, required a second look.

Edit: couldn't find a better place to post, so - I'm still lost of what's the purpose of Hobbler's Den. It gives you lots of cash but you're capped at 400g, so all that's possible is unlocking first tiers of everything in the first few runs. And then whenever you go and do the banker quest, no more gold for you there. So, 0 wins there on previous profile (went straight to banker quest) and 2-3 wins on a new one. That it, until PQI kicks in.
paplaukes

Postby dislekcia on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:33 am

Hobblers is there to give players that are struggling in the other dungeons a place to win... It's good at that, which then builds confidence in players who would otherwise not try again.

There are no animations on the kingdom right now. There will be. We were struggling just to get all the first level graphics in the game this week, hence it all being raw and unpolished, as we said in the blog.
dislekcia

Postby berpdreyfuss on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:51 am

First: The kingdom looks very nice, good job!

I also started a new kingdom to see what it looks like and because my old one crashes after every run (the new one doesn't), and I have to say that the early kingdom developement goes very fast. You do the first three beginning dungeons and then many buildings pop up in a very short time. I feel it could go a lot slower, introducing the classes and other buildings at least one by one.

Maybe Hobblers Hold could be a dungeon to dwell on for some time, I don't know. It also felt like there was a big difficulty jump from the three beginning dungeons to den of danger.
berpdreyfuss

Postby paplaukes on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:27 pm

I understand it's the first iteration of graphical kingdom screen, that's ok.
Is Hobbler's Hold widely used? I wonder how many runs players win there, on average, before moving on.

I agree about the races, quest and dungeon/puzzle spam. There was an overwhelming stream of new stuff coming in due to me trying harder and harder quests. I'm used to doing quests as first priority from other games, but they come in quest hubs, you complete a bunch, hand them in and move on - and here, you finish a quest, seems like two more pop up and next you know you got 10 quests and 15 puzzle packs all waiting for you :) Quests are mostly done by now but puzzles are still waiting... Not necessarily a fault with the game, it's just how I played it.
paplaukes

Postby paplaukes on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:27 pm

I understand it's the first iteration of graphical kingdom screen, that's ok.
Is Hobbler's Hold widely used? I wonder how many runs players win there, on average, before moving on.

I agree about the races, quest and dungeon/puzzle spam. There was an overwhelming stream of new stuff coming in due to me trying harder and harder quests. I'm used to doing quests as first priority from other games, but they come in quest hubs, you complete a bunch, hand them in and move on - and here, you finish a quest, seems like two more pop up and next you know you got 10 quests and 15 puzzle packs all waiting for you :) Quests are mostly done by now but puzzles are still waiting... Not necessarily a fault with the game, it's just how I played it.
paplaukes

Postby flap on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:26 pm

Hurray ! Hail to the the new kingdom interface !
I will finally allow myself to to play...

However, it's a real pity that we hardly have time to see the first human settlement (we see it only during the first dialog). I would have thought at the first that we would only have had a caravan, and then a crappy town, and then, after the first few basic dungeons, the bigger city (the one that we discover right after the first tutorial). Also, tha first city does not really fit with the initial text...
Also, we don't even have time to enjoy that initial city drawing... (because, as soon as we finish the text, we jump straight into the first tutorial dungeon)

But, well that was just my 2 cents...
flap

Postby Naoya on Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:10 pm

The garden shears seem pretty niche. I wonder, what would happen if it would allow one to remove plants without losing EM piety? Cloggin up your inventory instead of the dungeon... hm.
Naoya

Postby Blovski on Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:45 pm

I've only just got hold of them - think they'd be great on Ick/for Western Forest spellcaster. Might even be helpful on Demonic Library, come to think of it.

Elf JJ Tinker on Ick Swamp with those. Beautiful. Many shiny badges.Tinker allows really smooth inventory control, which lets you go on conversion sprees and pick up things, in between trimming. Whether they'll be any use outside of plant-heavy dungeons (they still lose EM piety, right? I mean, they make converting in and out early a bit more attractive) , I don't know.
Last edited by Blovski on Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blovski

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons