um... Unhappy Customer :(

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: um... Unhappy Customer :(

Postby dislekcia on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:18 pm

232 wrote:Seems to be time related, I've found that the issue happens more on longer games than shorter ones. For the record I'm using Windows 7 with Firefox 5.0.

Edit: Sometimes if I get the reconnection error and I hit retry it'll come up once or twice more, but then after it'll just go back to the main screen but the win isn't recorded, i.e. my gold hasn't increased, haven't completed a quest etc.

Yeah, this is definitely a logic issue on our side. Sorry... It should never erase progress in favor of the outdated server version after it gets an update. We'll fix that - it might take a while to ensure we've fully nailed it though - net/web async bugs are always a bitch.
dislekcia

Postby dislekcia on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:48 pm

metroid composite wrote:Towards the end of the beta, you'll probably want to send out some download clients etc for people to pound on, just because they might have different bugs than the web client.

I mean, yes, yes, "-development engine- is totally multiplat! The same code will work on all platforms!" I've been hearing THAT one for over a decade; it's never actually been true in my experience. (True for 99% of code, maybe, but 1% can crash your game...).

Tell me about it... *sigh*

Yeah, we'll probably do a standalone client eventually - just not right now.
dislekcia

Postby Misery on Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:17 pm

pakoito wrote:
flap wrote:hmm, maybe a message on splash screen explaining that beta is temporarily online only could be useful...

Should they warn that the beta is an unfinished product not representing the final state of the game too or can we agree that we all know what a beta is?

Never assume :D

Really though, I do think that mentioning "IT RUNS IN YOUR BROWSER!!!!! DOWNLOADABLE VERSION TO COME LATER!!!!!" in huge letters when someone goes to register. I, too, had thought there was going to be a downloadable version right away; in my case this is possibly because I'm not always paying attention, but whatever.

I dont complain, though, since they are using wonderful Unity instead of terrible Flash.
Misery

Postby mass09 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:06 am

I don't have any problems with the online Beta system. It probably also helps prevent piracy. Otherwise every second guy would be playing the pirate version and there wouldn't be an incentive to pre-order.
mass09

Postby HenryVIIII on Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:48 pm

dislekcia wrote:So yes, the beta is web-based. The full game will have a download client AND a web client AND a phone client AND AND AND... ;)

Hmm.. if there is cross-platform saving for Steam and the internet, does that mean there will be cross-platform between Steam/Android? It would be cool to play the same save on my phone at work that I'd been playing at home.
HenryVIIII

Postby dislekcia on Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:00 am

HenryVIIII wrote:Hmm.. if there is cross-platform saving for Steam and the internet, does that mean there will be cross-platform between Steam/Android? It would be cool to play the same save on my phone at work that I'd been playing at home.

*Huge grin*
dislekcia

Postby Razotter on Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:49 pm

I have a question somewhat related to this topic.

Is it normal for the unity player to redownload the whole 15-20 MB game each time the page is loaded? I would have expected some caching or something to occur, so am wondering if perhaps there's something faulty with my installation, or whether this is expected behaviour.
Razotter

Postby dislekcia on Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:36 pm

Razotter wrote:I have a question somewhat related to this topic.

Is it normal for the unity player to redownload the whole 15-20 MB game each time the page is loaded? I would have expected some caching or something to occur, so am wondering if perhaps there's something faulty with my installation, or whether this is expected behaviour.

That's normal. It depends on your browser's caching system - some players have had corrupted cache images of the game and had to clear their caches to get back to playing again - but generally you'll be downloading the game each time. Especially while we're patching it as often as we are right now...
dislekcia

Postby Grond on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:36 am

I have to agree with the original poster. I heard about Desktop Dungeons, played the alpha for a while, went back and skimmed the website, and purchased the beta. Nowhere on the purchase page is it stated that you're going to be forced to play in your browswer. What makes things even more misleading is that the ZAR size is given next to the prices of the different versions on the purchase page, leading you to believe that after you pay, you'll be downloading a compressed file and therefore a standalone game.

Playing in the browser is arguably the worst aspect of DD. The game is touted as being able to be played on a 10 minute coffee break, but to do so, the following steps must be taken -

1. Get online, go to the DD website.
2. Click play, wait for the Unity player to L-O-A-D................
3. Enter your email address and pasword.
4. Go fullscreen (the only way to play) then exit fullscreen
5. Change your desktop resolution, then change it back, so that the in-game menus are aligned with your on-screen pointer. If this step isn't taken, when you mouse over a menu, it isn't highlighted, and can't be clicked on. You have to mouse over the area below it to highlight and use it.

Playing in the browser, and having to take these steps to do so, is currently my only gripe with this game. Well, besides the ridiculous difficulty of some dungeons and bosses, which seem to require that you not only have skill, but also the luck of useful glyphs appearing. Since I suspect that I just need to get better, I'll withhold that as an official gripe for the time being. :)
Grond

Postby bla0815 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:24 pm

Hi Grond, welcome to the forums :)

Nowhere on the purchase page is it stated that you're going to be forced to play in your browswer.

Do not despair! You will not be forced to play in your browser once the game is released according to several statements of the developers.

I personally can understand that "join the beta as soon as available" has a certain "play right now" ring to it. It is easy to get disappointed if the gameplay isn't complete from an unexpected direction. You kind of know that the content won't be final and that there will be bugs, you just don't think of something like forced online play. More explicit wording might prevent disappointment here.

Anyways right now we DO play the beta. One thing that is being tested is the browser implementation including "cloud saving". Some problems with that were already found due to the beta, which might have not been found if people were able to download the game at this stage. I probably would have downloaded the game right away and i was one of the people who encountered problems with online saves.

What makes things even more misleading is that the ZAR size is given next to the prices of the different versions on the purchase page, leading you to believe that after you pay, you'll be downloading a compressed file and therefore a standalone game

You were probably thinking of *.rar-files. ZAR is a currency ;)
bla0815

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons