Now with extra sprinkles

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Now with extra sprinkles

Postby Alweth on Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:55 am

Recently, whenever Desktop Dungeons loads something, like a new dungeon or the kingdom screen, it takes a pretty long time, over 30 seconds. And while it's loading the whole browser freezes. This is true for both Chrome and IE.

ALSO, sometimes when I come back to the middle of a dungeon run and complete it, it says that I've been logged out by someone logging in on another computer. I am pretty sure that is not happening (since there's never any changes), is that a bug?
Were you expecting a coherent message? Alweth does not deal with such trifles. Ignore him or watch the thread get locked!
User avatar
Alweth
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:13 pm

Re: Now with extra sprinkles

Postby dislekcia on Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:33 am

I think it means that your internet connection is being odd, it should only ask about logging in again if your connection drops while playing... How does it handle Youtube streams?
User avatar
dislekcia
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:58 pm
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Now with extra sprinkles

Postby harfatum on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:53 pm

To me, and to my wife, the puzzles seem very tangential. As in, this is a game about dungeon crawling, and then there are these nice little puzzles on the side but the real game is the dungeons. I suppose I'll try one of those puzzles... wow, that's hard and really finicky, I'm going back to the dungeons now.

I think any puzzle that you expect players to do (i.e. maybe not golds) shouldn't have very long sequences of things that you have to do in perfect order. If there were 1-3 "hooks" that you had to get right, but had a bit of flexibility on other things, that might make them more attractive.

I'd also support them being renamed. Why would I want to sit around and do puzzles when I can explore dungeons? The X-Men's Danger Room is more exciting and accomplishes the same thing. There should be an obvious reason why the puzzles are exciting and that people will want to do them.
Have a mug of tea.
User avatar
harfatum
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Now with extra sprinkles

Postby Lujo on Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:05 pm

In support to what harfatum said, I want to say I liked the fact that the glyph puzzles were called "Academy" - making it obvious that they're ment to be a learning expirience. It ties into the whole "certain puzzles reward allready mastering stuff rather then provide a tutorial like expirience" thing people have been mentioning.
User avatar
Lujo
 
Posts: 2825
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:47 am

Re: Now with extra sprinkles

Postby Blovski on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:33 pm

Darvin wrote:I find with the new sparkles it's a bit hard to tell some deities apart, and some of them have very poor contrast with the background. When they land on monsters, shops, or glyphs the sparkles can be extraordinarily difficult to see.

Binlor and Glowing Guardian are pretty hard to tell apart.

Earthmother, Taurog and Tikki Tooki are very difficult to tell apart in general.

Mystera and Jehora Jeheyu's sparkles are almost impossible to see on the tundra tileset, and are functionally indistinguishable from each other.


100%
Blovski
 
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Now with extra sprinkles

Postby Alweth on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:00 am

dislekcia wrote:I think it means that your internet connection is being odd, it should only ask about logging in again if
your connection drops while playing... How does it handle Youtube streams?


Yes. My internet connection is odd and slow. However, it shouldn't say that someone logged in if nobody did, right? I don't mind having to log in again, I just don't want to be told that someone else has logged in when they haven't. And what about the long load times? I have never noticed them before, so I don't think it has to do with the internet connection.

harfatum wrote:I think any puzzle that you expect players to do (i.e. maybe not golds) shouldn't have very long sequences of things that you have to do in perfect order. If there were 1-3 "hooks" that you had to get right, but had a bit of flexibility on other things, that might make them more attractive.


I'd just like to warn against giving too much flexibility in the puzzles as that would likely, and counter-intuitively, make them much harder. The fact that you basically have just one way to do it right in the puzzles allows people to more easily eliminate wrong decisions, but mixing some critical decisions with a bunch of non-critical decisions would turn the puzzles into "guess the critical hooks" which would be very frustrating.
Were you expecting a coherent message? Alweth does not deal with such trifles. Ignore him or watch the thread get locked!
User avatar
Alweth
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:13 pm

Re: Now with extra sprinkles

Postby harfatum on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:30 pm

Alweth wrote:
harfatum wrote:I think any puzzle that you expect players to do (i.e. maybe not golds) shouldn't have very long sequences of things that you have to do in perfect order. If there were 1-3 "hooks" that you had to get right, but had a bit of flexibility on other things, that might make them more attractive.


I'd just like to warn against giving too much flexibility in the puzzles as that would likely, and counter-intuitively, make them much harder. The fact that you basically have just one way to do it right in the puzzles allows people to more easily eliminate wrong decisions, but mixing some critical decisions with a bunch of non-critical decisions would turn the puzzles into "guess the critical hooks" which would be very frustrating.

Yes, I agree. It's a tricky balancing act. Just call them "special missions" or something more arresting :)
Have a mug of tea.
User avatar
harfatum
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Now with extra sprinkles

Postby dislekcia on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Alweth wrote:Yes. My internet connection is odd and slow. However, it shouldn't say that someone logged in if nobody did, right? I don't mind having to log in again, I just don't want to be told that someone else has logged in when they haven't. And what about the long load times? I have never noticed them before, so I don't think it has to do with the internet connection.


You're totally right, it shouldn't be doing that all the time, that's a logic bug of some description. It's just ludicrously hard to tell if a connection is legitimately resuming if the IP address it's coming from has completely changed. To a server, that's a different connection.
User avatar
dislekcia
 
Posts: 1736
Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:58 pm
Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Re: Now with extra sprinkles

Postby Alweth on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:10 pm

Update on the loading problem. It seems to occur when the game just saves too. Like when I locker an item. It completely freezes all of Chrome while it's loading, which is surprising, given that Chrome is supposed to run each tab in its own process so that plugins can't freeze the whole browser. Eventually a dialog pops up asking if I want to stop Unity, but if I choose "no" everything loads eventually. Again, this is completely new behavior, and not associated with a new internet connection or anything.
Were you expecting a coherent message? Alweth does not deal with such trifles. Ignore him or watch the thread get locked!
User avatar
Alweth
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:13 pm

Re: Now with extra sprinkles

Postby Alweth on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:04 pm

Further update on the loading problem. It seems to occur only with my main Kingdom. I have 4, the first and my main one are both pretty advanced, but each has some things unlocked that the other doesn't. The other two are pretty new and don't have that much unlocked. But all the other kingdoms seem to load fine.

EDIT: This loading/saving problem is getting out of control. It is getting longer and now takes multiple minutes to enter or leave a dungeon.
Were you expecting a coherent message? Alweth does not deal with such trifles. Ignore him or watch the thread get locked!
User avatar
Alweth
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:13 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests