Postby GoatBot on Fri May 10, 2013 1:14 pm

Discussion - Amulet of Clarity
GoatBot

Re: Amulet of Clarity

Postby Darvin on Fri May 10, 2013 5:23 pm

Conversion bonus effect capped at 100%

Any particular reason for this?

Northern Desert now spawns two bosses at once

Hmmm... that'll probably make it the hardest of the first-step directional dungeons.

Vicious variant dungeons given their own names

Thank goodness for reduced forum confusion. Vicious-Vicious Gaan-Telet was a bit of a mouthful.

Also, that's a pretty low blow to psyche us out with an update title that implies we're getting a new item.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Fri May 10, 2013 5:24 pm

Conversion bonus effect capped at 100%

Why? :( (Well except being sort of broken)

Also:

"Vicious variant dungeons given their own names"

What does this mean exactly? I can see that the vicious halls of steel is now called "Vicious Steel", but the vicious Gaan'Telet is still called Vicious Gaan'Telet. On the adventuring map ofc.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Fri May 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Dang. The cp strats were so fun.

Northern Desert might be a bit too hard, but I'd have to look.

The new setup for the Kingdom looks good.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Fri May 10, 2013 7:19 pm

The Avatar wrote:Dang. The cp strats were so fun.

Yeah, I was kind of really happy that there IS an actual generic CP strat at all. Havign to give up on all your glyphs pretty much and tie up 3 prep categories kind of balanced it, sort of...
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Fri May 10, 2013 8:03 pm

Well, you can still kind of do it. Instead of taking less glyphs take whatever of the extra boosters complements your character. Then transmute a normal glyph and convert the stone for 300 CP.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Lujo on Fri May 10, 2013 8:15 pm

The Avatar wrote:Well, you can still kind of do it. Instead of taking less glyphs take whatever of the extra boosters complements your character. Then transmute a normal glyph and convert the stone for 300 CP.

Well, if you look at it that way the net loss is "only" 75 CP. And maybe it even works out the same in terms of bonuses, maybe even better. Which is kind of why I wasn't sure it needed nerfing - it was so beautifully over the top yet inefficent that it seemed like a strat rather than an exploit.

As a bit of feedback on the new graphics - I'm not sure about the mana burn one. Seems somehow nondistinct or unclear for some reason.

Also, probably doesn't mean much, but the warlord still doesn't have his "below half health" status buff noted in the portrait, and the "might" tooltip doesn't say how much bonus damage you get and how much resists it lowers.
Lujo

Postby The Avatar on Fri May 10, 2013 8:20 pm

Both good points. I actually quite like the mana burn graphic. It is a blue fireball, and that makes sense (to me at least) and looks cool.

This isn't really a bug but a UI issue so I'll put it here: if you position your mouse barely on a puzzle pack the tooltip constantly flashes as the item reselects and deselects. Probably because the moused over version is one pixel smaller. So when it shrinks I am not selecting it. Thus it grows, and suddenly I am selecting it again. In an endless loop.

I speak chaos.
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Fri May 10, 2013 8:24 pm

it was so beautifully over the top yet inefficent that it seemed like a strat rather than an exploit.

I'd agree. I find the booster preps to be so generally efficient that fewer glyphs needed this "exploit" to be a functional alternative. I can't see choosing fewer glyphs with anyone but vampire now. Even with him, the reduced odds of finding GETINDARE is a pretty nasty penalty to begin with.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Fri May 10, 2013 8:39 pm

Darvin wrote:
it was so beautifully over the top yet inefficent that it seemed like a strat rather than an exploit.

I'd agree. I find the booster preps to be so generally efficient that fewer glyphs needed this "exploit" to be a functional alternative. I can't see choosing fewer glyphs with anyone but vampire now. Even with him, the reduced odds of finding GETINDARE is a pretty nasty penalty to begin with.

Especially because of this - I was enjoying the fact that I was finaly using Fewer Glyphs, and was overdoing it not so much for power but for variety. Fewer glyphs sucks pretty hard compared to most other options, IMO. Escpecially if you can now go further with a CP strat without it seeing how it has 0 other properties and quite a bit of a downside.

Also, if I can get pretty much the same effect (or as it were a stronger effect) in a way which makes me transmute a glyph and convert the stone instead of the other way around I don't like it as much because the stone gives me some gold.

Now, my usual "CP crazy" routine always involved the fabulous treasure for buyouts, but that was gold overkill - this seemed like such a nice compromise. You can tell I like something if I can make room in my locker for it.

Though, if it were a balance thing to prevent explosive openings, i can live with it. But as I've said - explosive, but quite a tradeoff. Strat, not exploit in my book and I keep that particular book pretty neat.

EDIT: Just remembered one more thing - I was delighted to find a dedicated warmonger strat that didn't rely on gods. I didn't care that simply going GG is still way stronger, I was just happy that I had somethign else, becuse the options in that field felt so limited during my playthrough.

The Avatar wrote:I actually quite like the mana burn graphic. It is a blue fireball, and that makes sense (to me at least) and looks cool.

Oh, I like the blu flame concept, don't get me wrong - protection from mana burn works great for me - the problem is the actual mana burn on monsters which deal it. The claws sort of kill that one, and the fire is too backgroundy... Idk, but it manages to look both similar to magic attack and yet be in a nead of brightening to make it more distinct on its own - and that would make it even more like magic attack. Sounds like a silly nitpick, but I've scrutinized every other new piece of art and this is the only one I feel like commenting upon.
Lujo

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons