[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 120: preg_filter(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
QCF Design Community • View topic - Wizard conversion question

Wizard conversion question

All things Desktop Dungeons

Wizard conversion question

Postby squirrelnest on Mon May 27, 2013 3:30 pm

I was playing a halfling wizard worshiping GG. After I had collected all the glyphs, I started converting hp potions. The wizard's ability was making each one convert for quite a bit, giving me many more potions. After some number of conversions, I stopped getting the wizard's conversion bonus and I don't know why.

What am I missing here?
squirrelnest

Re: Wizard conversion question

Postby Darvin on Mon May 27, 2013 3:44 pm

The wizard conversion "bonus" is actually a sneaky little devil; it's actually more of a transfer and there's no actual gain in overall CP. All the bonus CP you're gaining is, in fact, drained out of your other glyphs! If you convert enough items, your glyphs will be totally drained and have a CP total of 0. At that point, there's no more benefit to be had from converting them (Mystera refreshment notwithstanding).

Essentially this allows the wizard to have his cake and eat it, too. He gets to drain the CP out of his glyphs without having to convert all of his glyphs.
Darvin

Postby Checkem on Mon May 27, 2013 6:04 pm

If you choose extra glyph, Feeling Parched is a very powerful strategy with the wizard because the potions will be pretty much granting you a full conversion. Props for the devs because this ability really makes the player believe that the wizards are powerful spell casters that don't have to choose a spell over another! :)
Checkem

Postby Darvin on Mon May 27, 2013 6:43 pm

Be cautious with extra glyphs as a wizard; you actually end up with less CP overall unless you're converting very few items.

Normally there are five glyphs on the floor, plus one in his inventory to begin with for a total of six. 6 glyphs * 100 CP / glyph = 600 CP total

With extra glyphs, you're up to seven glyphs but only 80 CP each. 7 glyphs * 80 CP/glyph = 560 CP
So you actually do end up paying for extra glyphs by giving up 40 CP. Still a decent deal if you actually use those extra glyphs, but in most circumstances you won't end up ahead CP-wise.

Note that with fewer glyphs you'll have a total of five at 150 CP each. That's 5 glyphs * 150 CP /glyph = 750 CP
This is the way to go if you want to maximize your CP, although most of the time you're much better off choosing an "extra booster" prep to complement your conversion bonus rather than just adding to it. Non-elf wizards will virtually always prefer the extra mana boosters, for instance.
Darvin

Postby The Avatar on Mon May 27, 2013 7:35 pm

The only flaw in this elegant solution is it probably confuses the hell out of new players.
We made an expansion and it is awesome. Really, you should check it out, especially if you're looking for some extra challenge.

Download over at ddmod.weebly.com!
The Avatar

Postby Darvin on Mon May 27, 2013 9:25 pm

It confused the hell out of us when it first appeared.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Mon May 27, 2013 9:30 pm

I almost got pwned by Shifty Brickwork!
Lujo

Postby Checkem on Tue May 28, 2013 2:44 am

Does the conversion donation work with the convertion bonus of the transmutation seal? Like, does it boost the base glyph or the total transfers? Haven't experimented too much with da wiz kid.
Checkem

Postby dislekcia on Tue May 28, 2013 9:19 am

It'll boost the total you get from the conversion, so add all the glyph 10s, then apply bonus.
dislekcia

Return to Desktop Dungeons