Dungeon Task Force

All things Desktop Dungeons

Dungeon Task Force

Postby GoatBot on Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:09 pm

Discussion - Dungeon Task Force
User avatar
GoatBot
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Re: Dungeon Task Force

Postby ChasGB on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:12 pm

The new exploration animation is awesome. Your finishing touches and polish are making your great game even better.
ChasGB
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:51 pm
Location: Den of Danger

Re: Dungeon Task Force

Postby Tumi90 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:23 pm

For some reason, my advisor tasks are not showing. I've tried clearing cookies, but it didn't fix it.

*EDIT*
Working as intended now. Don't know why, don't know how. Just happy that it is :)
Last edited by Tumi90 on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tumi90
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:21 pm

Re: Dungeon Task Force

Postby berpdreyfuss on Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:36 pm

I really like the new fighting animations, the bones and the advisor tasks, good job!

The exploration animation doesn't make sense to me. It is the same feeling I had (and still very much have) with the death warning. It just doesn't fit the style of the game, looks out of place and distracts a lot. The flying tiles makes the screen very messy if you explore a little bit faster. The slowed monster animation and the constant flashing of the death warning while you are moving the mouse between the inventory and the dungeon add to this, it is just too much movement which carries only little information for the gameplay. Slowed monster have to be visible, but right now it is too much.

For the exploration I'd rather see something like dissolving fog.

Looking forward to the coming sound effects!
berpdreyfuss
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:48 am

Re: Dungeon Task Force

Postby Darvin on Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:40 pm

Not a big fan of the new exploration animation, to be honest. Not as bad as the distracting slow animation, though.

Advisor tasks are interesting, but what is "Block Regeneration"? I've played a few games now, and I can't seem to get it to go above 0.
User avatar
Darvin
 
Posts: 3146
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:44 am

Re: Dungeon Task Force

Postby harfatum on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:06 pm

It's been a while since I've played, but the square cursor really makes the game feel more like a tileset and less like a real dungeon. If you need an indicator of which tile you're mousing over, just the corners would be much less jarring and mechanical.
Have a mug of tea.
User avatar
harfatum
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:04 am

Re: Dungeon Task Force

Postby The Avatar on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:16 pm

I would guess it is through burning or poison to prevent enemy regeneration. I don't really have any opinion on the new exploration animation. I like the new bloody enemy explosion. I am still distracted by the slowing one. I'm not quite sure I like the health bar prediction. It looks a bit too much like necrotic flesh or whatever the medical term is. It was much better, IMO, solid. Other than that, great update! Advisor tasks look fun.
JakshdfFiha$#jaigb532i97fbnPKASN*@)sdjbau9a0)f+,Ahghs*hr)sk_sabdh^ujsbUA3{mvio/~dgffdsT^klndf,#ikon%(d

I speak chaos.
User avatar
The Avatar
 
Posts: 4453
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:52 pm
Location: Demonic Library

Re: Dungeon Task Force

Postby ChasGB on Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:07 am

Darvin wrote:Not a big fan of the new exploration animation, to be honest. Not as bad as the distracting slow animation, though.


I agree that after being used to seeing it a certain way for a long time, it was initially jarring. That being said, if you look at it from the point of view of visually connecting blackspace exploration to regeneration, when tiles are wasted the new animation of tiles shattering into dust instead of turning into flying orbs really conveys the waste aspect. As a visual method of instruction as well as a reminder that exploration is being wasted, I think it's a big step forward.
ChasGB
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:51 pm
Location: Den of Danger

Re: Dungeon Task Force

Postby berpdreyfuss on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:26 am

ChasGB wrote:
Darvin wrote:Not a big fan of the new exploration animation, to be honest. Not as bad as the distracting slow animation, though.


I agree that after being used to seeing it a certain way for a long time, it was initially jarring. That being said, if you look at it from the point of view of visually connecting blackspace exploration to regeneration, when tiles are wasted the new animation of tiles shattering into dust instead of turning into flying orbs really conveys the waste aspect. As a visual method of instruction as well as a reminder that exploration is being wasted, I think it's a big step forward.


A reminder for wasted tiles is a good idea, but right now, the tiles always fly away, the only thing indicating the loss are the missing orbs (which I really like). And for me the flying tiles are especially annoying in the beginning of a run where you move around rather fast and they are everywhere. At that moment I don't care for wasted tiles and it would be a bad thing for beginners to feel that they are wasting blackspace at the start of a dungeon. It took me some time to learn that sometimes it is a good strategy to explore a lot in the beginning rather than killing the first level 1 monsters you find to save blackspace.
berpdreyfuss
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:48 am

Re: Dungeon Task Force

Postby berpdreyfuss on Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:33 am

harfatum wrote:It's been a while since I've played, but the square cursor really makes the game feel more like a tileset and less like a real dungeon. If you need an indicator of which tile you're mousing over, just the corners would be much less jarring and mechanical.


You can change the opacity and turn it off completely in the menu.
berpdreyfuss
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:48 am

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest