Desktop Dungeons Full Release!

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Desktop Dungeons Full Release!

Postby dislekcia on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:19 pm

Yup, the music makes the web version a 300 meg download. I'll be working on a solution to that today.
dislekcia

Postby blizzz on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:24 pm

daddy32 wrote:Is the steam version DRM'ed? Or can be used as standalone?

You can start Desktop Dungeons without opening Steam.
blizzz

Postby berpdreyfuss on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:58 pm

dislekcia wrote:Yup, the music makes the web version a 300 meg download. I'll be working on a solution to that today.

Great, thank you!
berpdreyfuss

Postby Jax on Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Now for the old grandfathers amongst us (all three of 'em):

Is there any way to avoid having to sign up to the Schteam thing-o to get a "real" copy? Or is it just Steam and playing in the browser that are the options?

I want to play DD (also known as Kitchensink Dungeons) as a standalone program. No goats attached. :)

Is that possible?
Doing DD on a MacBook Pro 13" 2011 (10.8.5) w/ Firefox 25.0
Jax

Postby Darvin on Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:15 pm

Jax wrote:Now for the old grandfathers amongst us (all three of 'em):

Is there any way to avoid having to sign up to the Schteam thing-o to get a "real" copy? Or is it just Steam and playing in the browser that are the options?

I want to play DD (also known as Kitchensink Dungeons) as a standalone program. No goats attached. :)

Is that possible?

I'd also like an answer on what other release options may be available. Stand-alone download, GOG release, whatever; I'd like a DRM-free option. I do not use DRM'd platforms like Steam, period.
Darvin

Postby Zalminen on Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:15 pm

Whoo, just found my Exclusive Edition mentions!
They're perfect, thank you :D 8-)
Zalminen

Postby FDru on Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:44 pm

Darvin wrote:I'd also like an answer on what other release options may be available. Stand-alone download, GOG release, whatever; I'd like a DRM-free option. I do not use DRM'd platforms like Steam, period.

Steam isn't what I'd call DRM because games purchased through Steam can be run without it for the most part. Some games are just designed with Steam integration in mind (for achievements, chat and leaderboards, etc) and so require the Steam software to work properly.

Most games (including DD) just require you click the executable from the application directory, so you can make a shortcut and not give a crap about running Steam.
FDru

Postby Darvin on Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Steam isn't what I'd call DRM because games purchased through Steam can be run without it for the most part

This varies; some games will run independently of Steam rather easily, some require extensive tweaking to do so, and others just won't. For those who want their games to be DRM free going through Steam is a massive headache. I'd rather wait for other options, even if it means I'm stuck with the webplayer for an extra month.
Darvin

Postby Lujo on Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:10 pm

Lujo

Postby dislekcia on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:17 pm

Guys, it took us a bit of time to line up Steam and get that all working properly. We'll announce other distribution plans/options once they're more solid and we're not trying to make sure the game is ultra stable... This is like a friday release x1000.

We're working on it.
dislekcia

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons