Steam Achievements

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Steam Achievements

Postby Wargasm on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Hm. Why is getting 1,000 gold in one run not an achievement? Heh. (Got Typhoid Mary this time, since I actually cared enough to get it - sadly, no lifesteal around so I could tick off GG that way.)
Wargasm

Postby Lujo on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:40 pm

Wargasm wrote:Which way?

Where to begin? First off you start with a zany scheme of lowering something down to first strike range hoping for Tommy or Medusa (and it's faulty logic because Medusa has first strike :D), which is silly because you'd have to spend your preps/class abilities/resources on pumping your damage for pretty much 1-3 hits and do the rest of the work with Pissorff. Now this in and off itself isn't a bad plan, except rogue doesn't really do much for pissorf (no base damage buff, no other apparent spellcasting benefits). You prep binlor for pissorf (and ok, I guess for knockback and might on wall destruction which is fine), but you don't have TT (and I thought the stunt is impossible wihout TT), and you end up lucky because the boss is Bleaty who is totaly doable with Binlor since Binlor can whittle down the resists :D

What you did there is do the run with so little advantages I'd take on a Rogue lvl1 kill that it's frankly amazing. I mean, you got a nice glass cannon boss and stuff worked out for you, but the fact that you made it... I mean, my method can take down a SMM (there's a vid of me doing it on you tube, google something like "super happy meat man") but you know exactly what you're looking for when you go down - your run looks like almost an on the fly improvised thing and I absolutely love those. Life gives you lemons, you discover lemonade has vitamin c kind of deal. Big props!

EDIT: In short, I've seen/done plenty of silly Supreme Slayer runs, but I don't think I've ever seen a truly HYBRID one. Conventional wisdom sayes you need to pool and streamline your resources into one mode of attack to make up for the lack of levels, so this is very weird indeed ^^ Just about the only thing that's missing is you pumping your health up in order to stoneskin yourself and tank a hit :D And you seem to have had absolutely no luck with random drops which could've helped you - wow! :D

Wargasm wrote:This coming from a guy who's probably read every SS story before they were even called SS stories, that says something.

Wrote the book, really :D There was a disscussion about lvl1 boss kills a short while before the release about whether they still could be done after the trisword nerf. A bunch of posts into the discussion Sidestepper comes in with something like "Wait a second, Lujo's done this every possible way, without the tri-sword... He was grumbling it was too cheap!" :D And your stunt raised even my eyebrows! :o
Lujo

Postby Wargasm on Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:13 pm

Actually I didn't even prep Binlor; I prepped extra altar and hoped something useful would come up between four of them (EM or GG could have pumped life enough to take a hit under certain circumstances, Tikki could have gotten me several Dodge potions if I could get piety up with desecrations/tributes, EM/MA could have fueled insane fireball spikes, MA/Binlor could lower magic resist..) all depending on what boss spawned.

But yeah, you've more or less got it; my plan was just to be prepared for as many possible bosses as I could with the extra shop scroll and extra altar and I just happened to get a playable draw the second time. The first might even have been if I'd started converting things sooner than I did. Spirit Pact is incredible for L1 kills, I'd have to guess, at least for any strategy relying on your race selection. Orcs just get away with a lot there due to 80 CP threshold.

Sobering thought; imagine what an Elf Wizard could do with Spirit Pact. 30+ mana! That + Crystal Ball = awful waffle rofl.
Wargasm

Postby Lujo on Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:25 pm

Oh, yeah, and you seem to have used a ton of underused stuff - Spirit Pact included! You can't really take a streamlined Orc-Rogue-FabTresure-TT run and refine it much further (apart from noting the best possible subdungeon/shop drops), but your run opens up vistas :) I don't remember anyone walking into an improvised lvl1 bosskill before, it's really something :)
Lujo

Postby Wargasm on Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:43 pm

Well, thanks for all the praise. I know I'll feel like I half understand the game when I get all the Steam achievements and a VGT run under my belt.
Wargasm

Postby Blovski on Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:07 pm

I did not know the Berserker camp boss could wind up on the bridge... that added some definite flavour to the faithless boy scout bloodmage run.
Blovski

Postby Wargasm on Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:28 am

I ever mention I love Rogues?
Wargasm

Postby lieronet on Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:50 am

In case anyone was still wondering, Pactmaker counts towards Polytheist.
lieronet

Postby Sidestepper on Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:05 am

It's pretty rare to see the Orb of Zot actually get purchased instead of Translocated or prepped. When did you use it?
Sidestepper

Postby Wargasm on Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:39 am

Orb of Zot? No sir, that's a Blue Bead. That's how I kept killing all the L10's; level up, heal as much as mana + Dragon Soul let me, be left with three mana eventually, except +1 per Avatar clone killed. Kept me going quite awhile as you can see. Best use I've ever seen for the Blue Bead.
Wargasm

PreviousNext

Return to Desktop Dungeons