Suggestion: At some point, abolish money; Also, encyclopedia

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Suggestion: At some point, abolish money

Postby fall_ark on Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:22 am

MeVII wrote:-
Here are some ideas I thought of to revolutionize the prep cost.

1. The entire kingdom could gain "XP". The XP could be a combination of XP gained by heros and the total level of upgraded buildings etc... As it gains levels players would receive preparation slots, and a preparation allowance.
At first you can only select 1 prep. As you get more of an allowance you can select "bigger" options, but still only one at a time. Untill you can select two etc...

I'm leaning towards this option myself. The current model would fit right in with an allowance mechanism, whether or not the slot restriction also applies. After all not all preparations are equal.

Of course, more quests/slight rewards for low-preparation and no-preparation runs would be nice. Maybe even quests that requires certain preparations or combinations of preparations. The end-goal should always be adding more variety to the game.
fall_ark

Re: Suggestion: At some point, abolish money; Also, encyclop

Postby PeaceChaser on Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:37 am

MeVII - my comment was mostly jest. I realize that you make choices in Quake, but they aren't thought out like in turn based games. They are quick, reactive, responsive, intuitive, twitchy, basically everything a turn based game is not. I like Sid Meijer's games, I just disagree that the quoted philosophy is at the core of all games. ^.^
PeaceChaser

Postby dislekcia on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:40 pm

I'm a "series of interesting choices" designer myself. Although I tend to think more about building mental models in players.

DD is definitely designed around removing non-choices, for reference ;)
dislekcia

Postby MeVII on Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:35 pm

Greetings:

No worries my friend, my over-analyze dial is always set to "hypermax". :D
If we were to start a separate thread on the subject, you and I could have a rather lengthily debate on the concept.

MeVII

PeaceChaser wrote:MeVII - my comment was mostly jest. I realize that you make choices in Quake, but they aren't thought out like in turn based games. They are quick, reactive, responsive, intuitive, twitchy, basically everything a turn based game is not. I like Sid Meijer's games, I just disagree that the quoted philosophy is at the core of all games. ^.^
MeVII

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons