Dungeon Shenanigans

All things Desktop Dungeons

Dungeon Shenanigans

Postby OneMoreNameless on Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:16 am

ITT: We post silly antics or crazy but minor discoveries that don't deserve their own topic.

In my last run, I was a gnome bloodmage who carelessly blocked off a hunk of the dungeon using IMAWAL. The boss was on my side, thankfully, but I was lower level than I'd have liked and was left with no offensive glyphs whatsoever. The solution? At max MP and feeling somewhat sheepish, drink eight mana potions in a row to boost sanguine enough to hack my way to victory. I've discarded one or two potions in runs before to fuel the Tri-Sword or Alchemist's Scroll, but this is by far a new personal record of potion wastage.

Yesterday I leveled up by casting BYSSEPS. By accident. I am now dubbing this maneuver the 'Sheer Raw Muscular Ascendency' and am developing a battle-cry for it as I type!

On an unrelated note, does anybody else think there should be an easter egg for embarking as a dwarf with the secret shame of prepping a Fake Beard?
OneMoreNameless
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:26 am

Re: Dungeon Shenanigans

Postby Lujo on Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:33 am

+1 Thread, awesome idea.

OneMoreNameless wrote:Yesterday I leveled up by casting BYSSEPS. By accident. I am now dubbing this maneuver the 'Sheer Raw Muscular Ascendency' and am developing a battle-cry for it as I type!


This made me go :lol:, then :?: , then :shock: , then :!: . I know how you did it but don't want to spoil it. It involves my favourite class I bet :)

OneMoreNameless wrote:On an unrelated note, does anybody else think there should be an easter egg for embarking as a dwarf with the secret shame of prepping a Fake Beard?


There was an actual strat which involved prepping a False Beard. I can't remember who developed it (Blovski, Sidestepper or someone else)... but I don't want to spoil it! :( It involved my all time favourite god!

Ok, and here's mine:

- I managed to get my Naga City desparate no-imawal EM squeeze manouver down pat today. Join up. Pick up one entanglement, one vine form, one greenblood, clearance for 10 mana - 20 piety. No plants in sight, go me! Five bossess killed? Plantation, 2 entanglements, clearance for 10 mana - 20 piety. No plants in sight, go me! Desecrate binlor, 2 entanglements, clea... Oh, wait, Crystall Ball's full! Let me just get 20 mana and kill that last boss in the 3rd vawe. BAM! I get teleported to the entrance. There's a manaburn plant blocking my way. I have to kill it and and waste a potion getting rid of mana burn just as the final boss spawned with a load of blackspace (facepalm :D)

- Also, if you're going hoarder, prep the slayer wand. Many is the time I just began to curse my compulsive nature having filled up my inventory with useless junk just to notice it sitting there. You get a nice XP package, declogg a passage potentially and free a large inventory space! From reckless fool to wise old master in 2 clicks! :)

- I find a subdungeon late, and it's the "Contemplate the waters". The guy asks me 25 gold (I think) for enlightment. I consider it, pay him, and he hands me a LEMISI. What a cheepskate, I think as I spam the LEMISI, he shouldn't charge that much for this thing, I grumble as I empty my health and mana fighting somethig, bloody money grubbing pozer, I curse as I refill my health and mana gain, what kind of a monk is that, I mutter as I kill something else, this really ought to cost less, I begrudge as I refill my health and mana to full again... What an idiot, I think at my self, as I realize what's been going on (facepalm :lol:)
User avatar
Lujo
 
Posts: 2819
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:47 am

Re: Dungeon Shenanigans

Postby lolQuaff on Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:52 pm

Lujo wrote:
- I find a subdungeon late, and it's the "Contemplate the waters". The guy asks me 25 gold (I think) for enlightment. I consider it, pay him, and he hands me a LEMISI. What a cheepskate, I think as I spam the LEMISI, he shouldn't charge that much for this thing, I grumble as I empty my health and mana fighting somethig, bloody money grubbing pozer, I curse as I refill my health and mana gain, what kind of a monk is that, I mutter as I kill something else, this really ought to cost less, I begrudge as I refill my health and mana to full again... What an idiot, I think at my self, as I realize what's been going on (facepalm :lol:)


Made lolQuaff LOL irl
lolQuaff
 
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Re: Dungeon Shenanigans

Postby Blovski on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:33 am

Lujo wrote:
OneMoreNameless wrote:On an unrelated note, does anybody else think there should be an easter egg for embarking as a dwarf with the secret shame of prepping a Fake Beard?


There was an actual strat which involved prepping a False Beard. I can't remember who developed it (Blovski, Sidestepper or someone else)... but I don't want to spoil it! :( It involved my all time favourite god!


Pretty sure that was me - had completely forgotten about that one :lol:
Blovski
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Dungeon Shenanigans

Postby Lujo on Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:43 am

Blovski wrote:
Lujo wrote:
OneMoreNameless wrote:On an unrelated note, does anybody else think there should be an easter egg for embarking as a dwarf with the secret shame of prepping a Fake Beard?


There was an actual strat which involved prepping a False Beard. I can't remember who developed it (Blovski, Sidestepper or someone else)... but I don't want to spoil it! :( It involved my all time favourite god!


Pretty sure that was me - had completely forgotten about that one :lol:


Quick! To the General Bragging Thread!
User avatar
Lujo
 
Posts: 2819
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:47 am

Re: Dungeon Shenanigans

Postby OneMoreNameless on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:23 pm

Jehora Jeheyu can be amused when you reveal an enemy. Knocking an enemy into blackspace will cover them from your view.

I just played peekaboo with JJ. I don't think I can ever feel threatened by his afflictions again. You can't really blame a baby for vomiting on you a little, right? #headcanon
OneMoreNameless
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:26 am

Re: Dungeon Shenanigans

Postby Lujo on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:32 pm

OneMoreNameless wrote:Jehora Jeheyu can be amused when you reveal an enemy. Knocking an enemy into blackspace will cover them from your view.


Dear god! Mind officialy blown!
User avatar
Lujo
 
Posts: 2819
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:47 am

Re: Dungeon Shenanigans

Postby Darvin on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:44 pm

Jehora Jeheyu can be amused when you reveal an enemy. Knocking an enemy into blackspace will cover them from your view.

This is a great way to piety farm with JJ, although personally I prefer WEYTWUT spam. It costs twice as much mana as PISORF (thus giving half as much piety, all else equal) but there's no issue with positioning and at the end of the day it gives you a big chunk of extra XP that you can harvest.
User avatar
Darvin
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:44 am

Re: Dungeon Shenanigans

Postby Blovski on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:53 pm

OneMoreNameless wrote:Jehora Jeheyu can be amused when you reveal an enemy. Knocking an enemy into blackspace will cover them from your view.

I just played peekaboo with JJ. I don't think I can ever feel threatened by his afflictions again. You can't really blame a baby for vomiting on you a little, right? #headcanon


Actually genius. Had not thought of this. My JJ tip is that rogues on plant maps can hit plants and dodge them for bonus piety.
Blovski
 
Posts: 514
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Dungeon Shenanigans

Postby Darvin on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:04 pm

Blovski wrote:Actually genius. Had not thought of this. My JJ tip is that rogues on plant maps can hit plants and dodge them for bonus piety.

Yup, and if Corrosive Creepers are in the mix then chaos avatar can clean up the mess afterwards. However, this approach is more reliable with an Earthmother -> Tikki Tooki conversion chain. EM creates the plants, Tikki Tooki gives you the ability to dodge regardless of your class, and then you just milk it for piety.

Was even better back in the day of GETINDARE giving dodge prediction, since you could just keep hitting plants until dodge came up and then use it against the monster you're fighting. Piety and free attacks. Can't believe dodge prediction on GETINDARE lasted as long as it did, given how blatantly broken it was.
User avatar
Darvin
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:44 am

Next

Return to Desktop Dungeons

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests