Is CYDSTEPP broken?

All things Desktop Dungeons

Re: Is CYDSTEPP broken?

Postby Darvin on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:57 am

Unfortunately, most fireball strategies are completely shut down by Counter Fireball (which IMO is probably the most unfair monster ability in the game).

In the current build, "counters fireball" may as well read "magic resist 100%". This ability isn't found in any normal-difficulty dungeons, so I don't think it's overpowered. It is uninteresting though since it basically says "you can't use fireball".
Darvin

Postby GG Crono on Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:19 am

It would be nice if fireball-counters did less damage than ordinary attacks, but that's a discussion for another topic. :)
GG Crono

Postby fall_ark on Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:34 am

GG Crono wrote:It would be nice if fireball-counters did less damage than ordinary attacks, but that's a discussion for another topic. :)

Or maybe the damage could be something like your fireball damage x 1.2 or 1.5 .Actually even if it just deals the same damage to you it will still be a trait that's on par with most of the common ones.
fall_ark

Postby q 3 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:54 am

When I first saw a monster with Counter Fireball, I thought it meant they would counter your fireball with their own fireball, i.e. monster level * 4 magic damage. I think that would be quite reasonable...
q 3

Postby bla0815 on Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:58 am

@counter fireball: Yeah counter fireball on a boss is kind of a hard counter to fireball usage. Yes, you can use fireballs for the finishing blow without retaliation. Which is good after mana leak and with a precast slow you can still do the 2 fireballs + physical hits routine. But both are kind of special cases (just killed namtar with a dwarven sorcerer and finished all of his enraged forms with a final fireball, but that's all of the occurences for me) and the latter is usualy not worth it for mana and inventory reasons.

@PeaceChaser: The effect still dispells after any enemy is hit. I really don't see much use, but maybe i've overlooked something.
Also, physical damage usually outclasses fireball at any given level against non phys-resist monsters.

That's kind of true, because with humans/orcs and tri-swords we can make it so and it is a very effective and easy way to play the game. In general however two fireballs outclass one physical attack and that is usually all you can do to a high level enemy. Ok, once we add sidestep you suddenly have three hits and fireballs lose hard... If sufficient for the kill i also prefer my fireballs against weakening enemies and the like ;)
Overall i have to agree that sidestep is still more often useful and usually MUCH more useful given the right class race combo.

@q3: That was exactly what i thought, when i encountered counter fireball the first time. I was quite dazzled when i took so much damage and my attack dropped :/ I agree that a fireball duel would be much fairer; imho even much cooler fluff wise.
bla0815

Previous

Return to Desktop Dungeons